Middle Earth: Morgoth's Tyranny

A fan fiction storygame by fluttershypegasus

Commended by mizal on 8/3/2020 10:38:47 PM

Player Rating5.85/8

"#182 overall, #14 for 2020"
Based on 87 ratings since 08/01/2020
Played 1,870 times (finished 123)

Story Difficulty4/8

"March in the swamp"

Play Length5/8

"Not going to lose any sleep"

Maturity Level4/8

"Need to be accompanied by an adult"
Contains content that may not be suitable for persons under age 13. If this were a movie, it would probably be PG.

This is a game set in Tolkien's "Middle Earth" universe. Thousands of years before the events of The Lord Of The Rings and the Hobbit, Beleriand existed in the Western Lands. This was a place ruled by the evil Lord Morgoth, and where men had almost no chance of long term survival. Will you be able to find your way through this land? Or will the long hand of Morgoth find its way to destroy you and everything you ever cared about?

 

This game includes

-Multiple unique endings, entirely dependent on the choices you make throughout the story. One of these endings is unambiguously a "bad ending"; the others have varying degrees of "good" and "bad" in them, and it is up to the player to decide which of these is the "best" ending.

-A 'deity' system; there are higher powers observing your decisions. Each time you make a significant choice, you will gain or lose favour with these higher powers. This will greatly impact your experience.

-An experience system: taking some options, usually sidequests, will grant you EXP. Certain actions in the game require a certain amount of EXP to perform. If you do not have the right amount of EXP, you can sometimes try the action anyway, but it's much less likely to work.

-A semi-open world, and a class system; it is advised you gain experience by exploring the wide lands of Beleriand, and that you make sure to pay attention to the class you chose at the start of the story.

-Leveled areas : Some parts of the map will be harder to survive on low levels. Pay attention to the lore, and to context clues, to decide whether you are ready to enter such areas.

 

This is a large-ish game and I have run through it multiple times to check for bugs. I believe I have ironed them out, though it's possible some have slipped through the cracks. Please report any bugs, such as any areas that don't let you proceed or end the game, in the comments. If I have made any truly serious mistakes with the game, I will make sure to update it ASAP.

 

Author's Note: This game does not require you to have read or be familiar with all of Tolkien's works, though I have tried to align it with the themes and ideas laid out in his books. However, please be aware there will be a few liberties taken with the source material, as I have my own spin on certain ideas of Middle Earth.

 

Optional Hints: In order to get a good ending, you do not have to do ALL the sidequests, but it is strongly advised you at least attempt one or two of them if you want to have any hope of getting a decent ending. You of course can attempt all the sidequests if you'd like to.

Player Comments

view more...
Gower on 8/6/2020 8:05:56 PM with a score of 0
view more...
JohnX on 2/29/2024 2:28:34 PM with a score of 0
view more...
CaptainCool on 9/16/2023 12:23:26 AM with a score of 0
view more...
— Rob on 8/26/2023 10:26:29 AM with a score of 0
view more...
Heresy on 9/12/2022 10:50:01 AM with a score of 0
view more...
SteelGavino on 4/5/2022 4:29:37 PM with a score of 0
view more...
— asdkld on 6/11/2021 7:08:12 PM with a score of 0
view more...
MultiverseBard on 2/8/2021 12:24:54 PM with a score of 0
view more...
Starbourne on 8/6/2020 3:29:43 PM with a score of 0
view more...
mazdark on 8/5/2020 12:05:47 PM with a score of 0
Show All Comments