Player Comments on Long Way From Home

Note: This is 1/3 actual review, 1/3 review of my old comment, 1/3 I am fucking idiot. You have been warned.

I always admired this story quite a bit. The scripting was damn impressive and there were no glitches to be found. Still, that doesn't mean that it was that good; the game itself is rather simple (play a card against the dealer, play a bigger one and you win the hand). Of course I had to rate this a 6/8 because my mind was blown, when really... All this would take is a decent amount of scripting knowledge and too much free time to replicate.

The story was minimal at best. This wasn't a story so much as a game, but it's nice having a reason to play this game. Basically we're a guy who wants to get home and has to gamble his money to get enough to buy a train ticket. He enters a game at a casino, and depending on how good you do will either lose everything or get just enough for that ticket. No in between.

I think what disappointed me was the lack of other games to play. It would have increased the replayability quite a bit and increased overall play time as well. I think something like that would have definitely been better for the story overall. Of course, 11 year old me pointed that out, and for once I agree with him.

Buuuut, I don't agree with 11 year old me all that much about some of his claims. Like how I said I was a "grammar Nazi" when I had a few typos and undoubtedly a lot more grammar mistakes in that very comment. Sort of embarrassing really, no wonder people used to bully me so much.

Anyway, back to the story, it's good. Not great. Play it for a fun time. 4/8, as always 11 year old me gets 1/8.
-- Chris113022 on 8/26/2019 1:44:20 PM with a score of 400
Pretty good.

This was definitely something that was more game oriented, but the actual game aspects weren't bad, and the goal and premise are simple enough to tie into everything. There's really not much flaws to be found here unless I point out how my fingers did get a bit tired with all of the clicking that this game makes you do, but besides that nitpick of mine it wasn't bad at all.

I think this game did well in showcasing that simplicity isn't something that's always bad, because while this game is simple, it does a good enough job on being fun.

In short, this is a game that I wouldn't mind returning to play on more than one occasion. This was a fun little time waster and not something I would have issue with recommending for others to play.

Good work! :)
-- TharaApples on 6/8/2017 11:36:24 PM with a score of 500
Hey everyone, I'm the person who told mnelssx about the glitche where you can't leave a comment and rating so you're welcome! Alright, I believe this is an amazing story. No grammar mistakes is a huge plus because I'm a grammar Nazi. Although it was short it doesn't bring down the quality of the story.

It is a game of luck and I bet some of the more experienced couldn't even pull of the game in the story. The game is basically you bet some or all of your starting gold and try to get enough money (400 gold) to ride on the train back home. If you can't get this money you will try to sneak onto the train, but the gaurds catch you and throw you in jail.

I really think this is good, but it needs more games. My final verdict for Long Way Home is a 6/8.
-- 11302 on 7/11/2014 11:34:53 AM with a score of 0
It's a betting game. Yay.
-- Homer Simpson on 9/3/2019 4:09:52 PM with a score of 400
I did not get to read the loss page yet, I plan to play again and lose on purpose. It may be hard because I am bad at this game! It was really fun! Great chance based game with a little plot, just enough to explain why you would play the game. One you won there was only like a sentence which was disappointing. I wish it explained a bit more. Maybe talk about getting home, or what happened to your friend? Also I assume the “flashback” is a reference to the loss page, which I think is cool! The problem is since I did not see it I can not be sure. It worked well, because it made me want to lose to see what the heck happens in that case! Ultimately it was a good simple story, but not the best game I have played. The game was well done and better than the story.
-- Shadowdrake27 on 8/26/2019 11:31:27 AM with a score of 400
I kinda cheated
-- OLivers2 on 3/2/2019 11:50:27 AM with a score of 400
This game was time consuming to win the card game. It would be good to add some different games to choose from. Also when I won the game it said I was rotting in a cell somewhere
-- Faervel on 12/27/2018 10:05:38 PM with a score of 400
I enjoyed the gambling. Hope you make another soon.
-- A Voice on 11/9/2017 5:10:55 PM with a score of 500
Woot woot I got the most money you could get.
-- CeruleanFlare on 12/17/2016 6:25:09 PM with a score of 550
Simple game, wish there was more to it.
-- BigRonn77 on 12/1/2016 11:38:59 AM with a score of 450
Nice little card game.
-- RewriteN on 8/28/2016 10:28:19 PM with a score of 400
i gambled and bet 200 gold on the first game. then won. yay.
-- thebigE on 7/6/2016 5:45:23 PM with a score of 400
I really liked this game. I had fun playing. Will definitely come back and play some more sometime. Have you ever thought about maybe adding a few more games and letting the reader choose which game to play?

Anyways, I really liked this either way. :)
-- breezy134 on 3/31/2016 11:02:18 PM with a score of 550
Wait a minute, I was rotting away in a cell somewhere?!?!?!?
-- CurseOfTime on 2/29/2016 6:46:17 PM with a score of 400
Nice game, I love card games.
-- Shinobi on 11/12/2015 4:13:43 PM with a score of 0
I liked it. i liked the whole gambling thing.
-- Wigglewigglewiggle on 9/13/2015 8:59:47 PM with a score of 400
Good Game :)
-- Will11 on 5/27/2015 1:35:13 AM with a score of 0
Even though i lost twice and won only once, i think its very interesting and unique storygame.
-- Penworth on 4/15/2015 12:42:13 AM with a score of 0
I found a way to win every match
-- AthenaT on 4/10/2015 11:54:16 PM with a score of 500
That was an interesting experience.
-- Boringfirelion on 12/3/2014 7:11:20 PM with a score of 400
I made it home! I had fun playing this, and am still experimenting with scripting and the advanced editor. I don't know how you did it, yet...sooo...Nifty. :)
-- ItAintPretty on 8/5/2014 10:29:55 AM with a score of 500
A rare case of "more game than story". The game was a fairly new concept. Still, it would have been nice if the central concept of this game was, like, a sidegame in a larger story-game. Still, I like the concept, and I like what you did with the advanced editor. Anyway, 6/8.
-- jamescoker1226 on 7/13/2014 4:24:07 PM with a score of 0
It was a very cool little game that impressed me with the advanced editor skill you showed in making this.
-- TacocaT on 7/12/2014 7:20:10 AM with a score of 0
Edit for my old comment: I now realized I WASN'T the person who notified nmelssx as I found the article which talked about it. That is all.
-- 11302 on 7/11/2014 7:33:02 PM with a score of 0
Glad you got the issue with leaving comments sorted out. I don't understand scripts or variables or whatever at ALL so I'm always super impressed when people can pull this kind of thing off with the editor, and I played quite a bit last night because it's a fun little game in its own right.

One bug I did notice was that if you wind up at a draw (or maybe just if you wind up at a draw with the last of your money tied up in the game) you don't get a link to continue or end the game or anything, you're just stuck there.

And I sort of felt that after the huge page of text you get when you lose (5 years in prison for trying to sneak onto a train without a ticket? Hmm, harsh but fair...) the actual winning screen was a little underwhelming.
-- mizal on 7/11/2014 11:23:58 AM with a score of 0