Player Comments on The Free Hand

I liked the general atmosphere and puzzles that required thought but weren't impossible. I have many complaints though.
1. How did he even get there? We have no idea what happened to this guy to end up in some abandoned hospital. Although you might say that his dead daughter, the final boss girl, brought him there, why not kill him in the first place?
2. We have no explanations of the monsters/creatures/visions of gore, or even of Richard and Allie. Sorry, but "We never did find Mom, you know" isn't going to cut it. I might be missing out on something, but I wouldn't be surprised, as the backstory - which is meant to serve as some huge plot twist once we end the game, by the way - is incredibly vague, and it feels like it's only added to provide layering to constant fighting, and in general it doesn't have work. At least have a page at the end explaining it all.
3. We're supposed to believe that dog-human creatures, ripped apart dead bodies hanging from the ceiling, and some strange pulsing flesh ball is just lying around in some condemned building which literally lies next to a "normal street with normal people are doing normal things."
4. No depth, all gore and 'plot.' Why not expand your characters a little, show the teamwork more, or at least give us a chance to visualize Richard and Allie other than saying that Richards skin is pale or that his lips are blue while dying or that Allies knuckles are white and her fingers dirty when grabbing Nathaniels hand? It reminded me of some paranormal Hellraiser, except Hellraiser is much better made.
I'm sorry, but I don't understand how the game has made the top 50.
However, this is a mystery/puzzle game, and it is filled with puzzles and the game is one giant mystery!
I just really hope Ashen_Snake doesn't write romance.
-- MrRun2 on 4/6/2018 5:15:47 AM with a score of 0
Great story with nicely-detailed imagery which sets the scene and is improved even further with the choice of images included in the story.

One thing I think you could improve on though, is building up your characters - especially the main character. Perhaps you could have added a notebook in which the reader could have read the thoughts of a particular character?

However overall, very nicely-done story which has enough of a challenge to keep the reader thinking, but not too difficult so as to be impossible to complete. Good job Ashen-Snake :)
-- SkyTenshi on 8/26/2014 12:50:25 AM with a score of 0
If you're thirteen years old, then you are the most precocious writer I've ever seen. Regardless, not only is this one of the best written stories on the site, it is one of the best stories, and combines the intense descriptions disturbing photos. Excellent everything! This is going in my list.
-- madglee on 9/12/2006 8:56:04 PM with a score of 0
Ok
-- The_L on 5/28/2019 1:01:18 AM with a score of 0
This freaked me out.

I didn't even want to walk down my hallway (no lights on) without lights- I felt like I was going to step on the bulb. I got a Okay Ending, and this game was awesome. Nice piece of backstory, there, too.

8/8
-- BgirlStories on 3/20/2019 9:02:33 PM with a score of 0
Beautiful story. Good use of items. I LOVE THE WORK. YOU ARE DOING AWESOME. DON'T STOP!!!!!!!!!! :D
-- Bored101 on 12/5/2018 2:37:14 AM with a score of 0
There is not much difference between the 'best' ending and the 'okay' ending, other than you see some talking from the people you saved. The best and okay endings aren't really good because you are a crazy man who killed someone he shouldn't have.

It is a nicely detailed game though - if you take away the fact that you're crazy, it's an awesome game. There is detail, there is the horror element, there are monsters.

The first battle, though, is not much of a battle - for one, it's sort of optional if you don't want the best ending. The already half-dead monster doesn't even put up a fight.

With more monsters, you could make a really good horror book; with the way it was written, it was already creepy.

A fun puzzle-like horror, this game was very interesting, not boring.
-- BunnyCatMouse99100 on 1/26/2018 10:25:41 PM with a score of 0
A fine little game, emphasis on the little since the booklet led me to believe that the game would be much longer than it is, and it does have much more potential. As it is, the only weapon I need outside of the final (3rd) battle is the rusty pipe, and the first battle can hardly be considered a battle at all. My biggest complaint, however, is with the endgame, which left me quite unsatisfied. I would have greatly appreciated if it were expanded, as is the case with the rest of the game. Moreover, I fail to see how the "best" ending is any better for the protagonist than the average ending or even arguably the "bad" ending. There is no resolution to the act of ***spoiler*** killing your own daughter. ***end spoiler***

Even though the game feels incomplete, the main body of the game that was written was decent. Normally, I might give a game like this 4 or 5, but I feel that it's currently way overrated, and I don't regret not playing it before now. 3/8
-- Victim on 7/10/2017 10:26:16 AM with a score of 0
._. slightly depressing that you have to kill.....you know....
-- Shades on 6/26/2017 5:33:56 PM with a score of 0
amazing quiz :D
11/10
-- KavtaArtz on 5/30/2017 10:14:59 PM with a score of 0
It's a really fun, interesting game! Except that I am really confused at the ending. Can someone explain it? Please? I didn't understand at all and now I'm getting irritated trying to figure it out.
-- Mandi on 1/9/2017 9:15:25 PM with a score of 0
Excellent! This had the right amount of creepiness that kept me on the edge of my seat, while providing fun gameplay to boot. I immensely enjoyed this :)
-- TharaApples on 11/20/2016 10:21:30 PM with a score of 0
Fun playthrough
-- Cirralisis on 11/19/2016 4:55:06 PM with a score of 0
Got all three endings. Was very well written had a creepy atmosphere that made all the weird things happening seem normal for the place.
-- BigRonn77 on 9/1/2016 11:28:26 AM with a score of 0
This guy is a professional author
Didnt actually understand the story though
-- Hehe on 2/10/2016 12:54:07 AM with a score of 0
It's Finger lickin good
-- Collin on 1/22/2016 1:10:42 AM with a score of 0
An excellent combination of puzzle, mystery, and horror.
-- AllThatIsGold on 1/11/2016 6:19:02 PM with a score of 0
It is ok
-- HerobrineBlockson1 on 11/30/2015 10:05:22 AM with a score of 0
Freaking HORRIFYING!!! I love it!
-- TheMonitor on 7/19/2015 10:28:18 PM with a score of 0
I salute to you sire(or ma'am) for writing this great story. It is truly one of the best stories I've ever read in this site.
-- Penworth on 6/12/2015 11:40:45 AM with a score of 0
Short and pretty interesting, but the endings could have been more varied.
-- SteveJones313 on 6/9/2015 9:25:24 AM with a score of 0
Creepy and interesting. really nice~
-- PsychoPotato on 1/13/2015 1:28:34 PM with a score of 0
I got ending number 1.....and I'm not looking for any more O_O it's so scary!!! The images add a spooky feeling that's hard to find in a lot of stories, and the way author-chan describes the corpses send chills down my spine. I'm definitely not sleeping tonight! All in all, a wonderfully terrifying story!!!!
-- CrazyConundrums on 10/20/2014 11:18:02 AM with a score of 0
Nice.
-- Silverflame on 10/11/2014 11:10:45 PM with a score of 0
Pretty good but I still like The Devils Fire best.
-- RabbitKit on 9/13/2014 5:30:43 PM with a score of 0
...Though some things are glitchy
-- Allen on 8/29/2014 8:18:14 AM with a score of 0
Really good story with great descriptions.
-- Yellowfellow on 6/27/2014 6:00:17 PM with a score of 0
Fun game, scary
-- mr.xcentrix on 6/12/2014 4:48:05 PM with a score of 0
Very good.
-- PortalSpartan on 6/5/2014 5:18:36 PM with a score of 0
It wasn't bad entertaining but not the best I've ever read.
-- EnderStory on 6/4/2014 11:14:45 AM with a score of 0
You could do better man :) youre still young :) ...
-- jesseallankim on 5/24/2014 3:31:01 PM with a score of 0
The best way to play these games is if you see something that is potentially threatening, you beat it until it's dead. Always double tap.
-- cgraham99 on 1/25/2014 7:55:45 PM with a score of 0
I loved the story so much. I got the best ending and I loved the idea of "Teamwork" Great game! 8/8!
-- Mtactical on 12/9/2013 2:57:06 PM with a score of 0
Greatly written and it was kinda scary.
-- dischead on 12/9/2013 10:29:54 AM with a score of 0
Great Game. Good Job
-- leeman on 11/26/2013 7:54:40 AM with a score of 0
Interesting game. Well-written.
-- AspiringAuthorCook on 11/17/2013 1:16:55 AM with a score of 0
Great job!
-- Author4 on 10/20/2013 9:59:30 PM with a score of 0
I had to kill the little girl, she has to die again :(
-- xxFlamehoundxx on 9/16/2013 8:53:25 AM with a score of 0
it was short (to my standards at least XD) but fun! A great horror-type game!
-- clutzybat on 9/14/2013 8:03:29 PM with a score of 0
I'm a bit confused... Nat was a crazy drunk? Who is allie and richard's mom? Are these supposed to be unimportant details? Because I'd have liked to know about that....
Game is totally cool, though.... Worth playing.
-- Darrell on 8/3/2013 3:00:15 PM with a score of 0
Very cool, but I didn't understand that much
-- abii on 7/21/2013 5:03:58 PM with a score of 0
This freaked me out a bit, but it was enjoyable and was a great read
-- Belphegor on 6/20/2013 2:59:48 PM with a score of 0
Considering how young you were when you wrote this, it's fantastic. I have one complaint, though. You're able to kill the slime monster multiple times if you keep going back and... well, it detracts from the seriousness of the scene if you do that. xD
-- Kiel_Farren on 6/20/2013 2:40:33 PM with a score of 0
ending 2 and 3 arent that different. but otherwise. great job on the symbolism and allusions. its a bit short. but the quality of the plot is great
-- Sean on 6/2/2013 2:30:50 PM with a score of 0
This game is amazingly done. The writing is fantastic, despite a handful of spelling errors near the beginning. 8/8
-- KnightingaleSiren on 5/23/2013 12:56:55 PM with a score of 0
kinda short, but fun.
-- epiclab on 5/22/2013 4:30:07 PM with a score of 0
Well, it wasn't the creepiest of things. (much of what I read was gore for the sake of gore, some vague symbolism, and not much character development. Not to mention the silent hill tumor at the end of the first hallway, and clocks that I see no real purpose for.) But it wasn't the worst, and I guess it isn't creepy only when you over-think it, which I often do. But you did nicely otherwise, and you made an advanced storygame, and for that I respect your abilities. The combat was (surprisingly) satisfying, and it was touching in a weird way when it was revealed that Nathan was [SPOILERS].
-- ISentinelPenguinI on 4/19/2013 5:36:08 PM with a score of 0
It was really AWESOME!!!!
-- Chaze on 4/13/2013 1:19:37 PM with a score of 0
...

I would've liked to be able to kill the big bubbly thing in the hallway outside the starting room. Other than that, this was brilliant!
-- strange man on 1/28/2013 6:57:30 PM with a score of 0
Great Writing and item use.
-- Xt1000305 on 1/28/2013 6:03:31 AM with a score of 0
that was an amazing game
-- bfkinf on 12/6/2012 3:56:24 PM with a score of 0
Loved this game! I think what I liked most was the whole scenery of the cursed/haunted hospital and collecting the items and figuring out how and when to use them. The only thing I can say against it is that I'm not sure I understood the ending. Were you actually the crazy, alcoholic father, or did the girl just think that you were the crazy father, and why was the hospital cursed in the first place? Other than that though, it was a brilliant game. ^_^
-- Briar_Rose on 11/26/2012 10:41:42 AM with a score of 0
Not bad but lacking in multiple paths
-- TheImmortalOmegagoldfish on 11/15/2012 8:06:00 PM with a score of 0
Well-written and kept me on the edge of the seat but it could be longer.
-- Karolina on 11/10/2012 2:53:17 PM with a score of 0
creepy...... in a good way, want more x_x
-- Straton on 9/10/2012 11:57:36 AM with a score of 0
This game was awesome! It had me on the edge of my seat wanting to play it again and again till I got the best ending. I cursed at myself when I read that to do it you had to get the medkit.....but that's all i'm saying on that ;3. Anyway real real REAL good
-- Morgan on 8/24/2012 6:14:11 PM with a score of 0
Pretty good. My only complaint is it should've been longer. I was hoping for some more battles and puzzles and whatnot. Good job, would've liked some more background on your teammates though.
-- ChaiHai on 8/11/2012 2:57:12 AM with a score of 0
Hmm. Interesting. Didn't really see why ending 3 was better than ending 2.
-- Forge on 7/25/2012 8:17:24 PM with a score of 0
Ah~ the story is nice, but i sort of dont get it.
Is the main character the alcoholic who killed the girl or something?
-- Miaomii on 7/18/2012 4:45:03 AM with a score of 0
really cool 8/8
-- monkeyduke2 on 7/10/2012 5:35:47 PM with a score of 0
Nice one with good choices but linear writing.
-- RobustSporadic on 6/27/2012 4:39:31 AM with a score of 0
SCARY but good
-- ufop1 on 5/29/2012 10:50:34 PM with a score of 0
The only problem I have with this story is the random changes of perspective. I mean, it switches from first-person to third-person to second-person and then back to third-person all within the same sentence!

Still, very good storygame! :)
-- Doodled on 4/28/2012 5:15:41 PM with a score of 0
Who killed who? Hmmmmmmm................
-- ... on 4/12/2012 7:47:44 PM with a score of 0
Atmospheric and gory! I enjoyed.
-- greevesi on 4/9/2012 10:07:38 AM with a score of 0
cool
-- CovElite on 3/27/2012 10:31:04 AM with a score of 0
Good story
-- ZenUndead on 3/12/2012 11:00:02 AM with a score of 0
I should be able to retry by not starting from the very beginning!!!
-- Me on 2/17/2012 8:24:53 PM with a score of 0
Pretty good. I had to use the walkthrough to cheat to the best ending though. By myself I got the okay ending.
-- Tia on 1/2/2012 7:58:06 PM with a score of 0
Good but could use improvement still one of the best on this site.
-- Jack on 10/29/2011 8:33:24 PM with a score of 0
Good story.
-- Killa_Robot on 6/25/2011 9:08:12 PM with a score of 0
i beat the hell out of everything in the game
-- roro on 5/27/2011 12:07:39 AM with a score of 0
I would have never thought that /that/ was the difference between the Okay and Best endings. BUT! I rather enjoyed the story.
-- jkulibert2 on 4/22/2011 6:46:21 PM with a score of 0
Gr888
-- Jon on 4/1/2011 7:24:06 PM with a score of 0
It was great, but it kind of leaves me wondering.
What was the girl, and how come she kept, like, attacking him? Also, it should be much longer.

You really should make more storygames.
-- We Will Murder You on 3/12/2011 9:24:37 PM with a score of 0
Impressive
-- Alrycon on 12/29/2010 4:58:50 PM with a score of 0
Pretty good. How can you get the gun?
-- Carter12 on 10/16/2010 8:48:51 PM with a score of 0
I find it to be an amazing story but the little girl died and they didn't find there mom, it should have been second best ending with a different best ending. but is still great!
-- doodoodude on 9/20/2010 2:55:21 PM with a score of 0
Great storygame. It truly felt like a game.
-- xDante on 8/29/2010 5:53:51 PM with a score of 0
Eerie. Quite well-written, and requires thought but doesn't feel frustrating in trying to beat. I managed to get (all?) three endings after a few tries. Nice work.
-- Trzcina on 1/5/2010 8:50:35 PM with a score of 0
Not creepy but very very good
-- Aaron on 11/16/2009 12:32:16 AM with a score of 0
I didn't understand how the best ending was that much better than okay ending. That was the only problem. The rest kicks ass.
-- Vitamins_n_Stds on 10/12/2008 8:45:16 PM with a score of 0
.... i like it....
-- sacreir on 8/1/2008 5:54:58 PM with a score of 0
Good writeing but kinda creepy really
-- realprety on 7/26/2008 5:36:12 PM with a score of 0
Wow, that was creepy. I got ending #2...
-- BigFish on 4/7/2008 1:32:16 PM with a score of 0
8/8 wow great game i got ending 1# at first then went back and got ending 2# i think
-- Agent_47 on 11/21/2007 10:33:21 PM with a score of 0
This was an awesome game dude
i got goose bumps all over

I gave it 8/8
-- Hunter23 on 10/6/2007 2:31:13 AM with a score of 0
Good game, it gave me the chills.
-- Aggrexion on 8/8/2007 11:42:18 AM with a score of 0
wow, great game dude, seriously.
-- DarthVader_13 on 4/3/2007 11:13:03 PM with a score of 0
Ending #2! what's with all the blood and limbs? a single murder does NOT explain a bloodbath.
-- Rommel on 3/10/2007 6:46:22 AM with a score of 0
awesome
-- gameshark1313 on 2/1/2007 7:57:23 PM with a score of 0
Good game -- a large part inspired by Silent Hill, I guess? Good use of inventory and atmospheric storyline.
-- Mixelplek on 1/13/2007 3:15:17 PM with a score of 0
Excellent writing and the pictures really add atmosphere. I am slightly confused as to what exactly was happening, but that's common to most horror movies/books/games.
Main character's name switched between Nathan and Nathaniel a few times.
-- Sethaniel on 10/15/2006 4:32:33 PM with a score of 0
How do you get a better ending?
-- primates on 10/2/2006 9:32:19 PM with a score of 0
That was bloody terrific. An easy 8/8 for me. That's my favourite on this whole site. I didn't think I'd ever find a better game than the ones I already have. In fact, this puts the others to shame. In one word: awesome. It was well written, perfect grammar, and I like the way you used the pictures in the story too. Well done.
-- October on 9/29/2006 4:52:33 AM with a score of 0
the MADDEST game evr goog descriptions
-- ben on 8/13/2006 12:12:15 AM with a score of 0
I got the good ending......You kind of kept mixing up between He and She, sometimes saying he when it was a she....
-- Exile on 7/16/2006 2:41:33 PM with a score of 0
Yay! I got best ending!
-- GodsSlayer on 6/8/2006 7:53:22 PM with a score of 0
Yes! I got the best ending. It was kind of the same though. Oh well...
-- Miccy2000 on 4/23/2006 5:53:54 AM with a score of 0
That game was awesome! I got the okay ending. The only thing that could improve it was if you could stab the girl and hit her with the pipe in a combination. That sounds brutal I know, but it would definitely improve it. This game could quite possibly be an online game or a book, even a movie! I highly recommend it.
-- Miccy2000 on 4/23/2006 2:26:58 AM with a score of 0
Wow! That was so good and creepy! The plot would make a good survival horror game. *thumbs up*
-- Misha on 4/23/2006 1:48:08 AM with a score of 0
Hey! ^_^ That was soo cool! It scared me xD; That was the scariest story-ish adventure I've read and went through in a LONG time. Keep up the good work!
-Jess
-- Jess on 4/23/2006 1:47:21 AM with a score of 0
wow, that was a cool game! awesome! i give you 8/8! Nicely done!
-- GodsSlayer on 4/2/2006 8:21:40 PM with a score of 0
Geez, at least now I had time to think before getting attacked by some... thing! Good Game
-- Isabelle on 3/10/2006 10:54:48 AM with a score of 0
Nice little diversion. What was the picture for?
-- D on 3/9/2006 5:23:54 PM with a score of 0
I dont like horrors, but I have to say, it was alright. Although, do you even know what f*ck means? It means to have sex.
-- anonymous on 2/21/2006 6:55:45 PM with a score of 0
Very good game. I believe this is your first game also? Really excellent use of text color, photographs, and items. Also it is so refreshing to see great use of dialouge, instead of a lot of the games that are like this: JIM:dude i need help TOM:ok im coming to save you
-- Axebane on 2/17/2006 11:39:10 AM with a score of 0
This game is awesome unnerving but awesome I need to have more time to play it- but great story - play and feel and use of objects as well. The pictures were amazing - probably the best use of pictures I've seen I'm going going to come back and play it soon as I get the chance I have a feeling I only played a quarter of the game! Nice
-- chocobot on 2/17/2006 11:27:42 AM with a score of 0
OK, I got the best ending. Great, amazing game.
-- JJJ on 2/17/2006 11:10:18 AM with a score of 0
Wow, I am very confused. I can't really say what's good if I don't understand it. Mabey tell what's going on?
-- havacoman on 2/17/2006 12:56:39 AM with a score of 0
just down right weird. lol pretty good imagination you have there. clear up the grammar and spelling errors and this just might get noticed by March. i recommend it!!!
-- nate on 2/14/2006 2:57:40 PM with a score of 0