Player Comments on The Shortcut Home

This..was very interesting. It was definitely unique for a horror story except for the clown part- but you even managed to make that odd and set the tone.

I love how I get to know whenever a choice is important and whenever it's not that interesting, and I did check most of the paths to see if this was actually true, and it was.

I just felt a bit disappointed about the linearity of this storygame. Sure, there are plenty of choices and all make a difference, but even the choices stamped as very important felt as if there was a good choice and a bad choice. I had expected it to branch out further, and even though I managed to get a lot of different endings..it was as if I should've gone and investigated the noise because the rest of the path was basically the same except for getting stuck somewhere because I didn't investigate and so couldn't help the fox. Also, when I choose not to follow the sign, I get something like "that's not a good idea. Follow the sign" and I'd really just love to see myself get lost or something because I didn't follow the sign. Something like that.

Quality wise, there aren't really that many grammatical mistakes and the writing is good. I get annoyed with people's bad grammar really quickly but I didn't feel as if I should because it's great.

I had a hard time getting all of the endings because you usually couldn't see what the effect of your choice was right away- although this is good and definitely realistic, this made me understand the difficulty rating.

Overall, good, I'm happy with the length, your writing is a pleasure to read, but I did get a bit annoyed with the linearity and the good choice/bad choice system you seem to have.
-- 3173v3 on 8/29/2015 11:14:36 AM with a score of 0
I loved this game!
-- Portal on 12/16/2020 9:18:00 AM with a score of 0
I’m sorry, but I just thought this had too many problems. First off, the author makes some loft claims in the introduction about how drastically the story can change based on your decisions, and that’s just not the case. The story plays out essentially the same each time, with only minor differences. Secondly, there are some really bizarre bits that make no sense logically (for instance, I’m thinking of a certain moment involving two buttons). The identity of the killer is convoluted to the point of being scarcely believable.

However, there are a few moments of decent suspense, and the writing ipstyle itself isn’t bad. I would ultimately just call it average.
-- Lagore on 10/18/2020 8:40:50 PM with a score of 0
A very great story. NEEDS a part two!!!!! :D
-- 10yearoldZander on 8/27/2020 3:45:30 PM with a score of 0
I'm a teacher and I read it with my students.
They loved it so much that we went over it twice to solve every single mistery.
Good work!
-- Supervan on 4/22/2020 12:59:38 PM with a score of 0
Congratulations it is a good story, I love it, my favourite part It's when we save the fox.
-- Darlynpaola05 on 4/22/2020 12:59:33 PM with a score of 0
Good enough to return and get all the clues!
-- Red_Riding_Hood2020 on 10/3/2019 1:12:56 AM with a score of 0
Secret ending first try. Oh yeah!
-- etrow5 on 7/17/2019 10:22:50 PM with a score of 0
It's short but it's good !
-- Kuro on 3/5/2019 2:58:33 PM with a score of 0
Never outfox the Fox.
-- Geordie on 2/20/2019 5:53:34 AM with a score of 0
This was a great story game. It had great description. It was fun to play. It had some length to it. It had a lot of different choices.
-- Faervel on 12/28/2018 3:35:55 PM with a score of 0
Good!
-- Khadijah on 10/18/2018 9:47:17 PM with a score of 0
That secret ending was sad. I do NOT like sad things.
-- BristowJeremiah on 10/12/2018 3:56:56 PM with a score of 0
This was a well thought out game and the clue dynamic was a good addition. One thing I do wish is that, if getting 6/7 clues allows you to know who the murderer is, then maybe getting 7/7 clues allows you to figure out that his family is still alive? That's more just my own wondering what would happen if the player character, the murderer and his family all met up again somewhere, but I think it would be a cool second secret ending type of thing. I loved the story arc overall hope to see more games like this in the future.
-- Dalan777 on 4/5/2018 9:29:17 AM with a score of 0
Good story, deep plot, but a tad bit easy.
-- Shiny on 3/28/2018 7:49:38 AM with a score of 0
All I can say is that this is a piece of ****ing art.Lets get started shall we, the idea for a murder story concept isn’t exactly to common and the idea to have clues! You even used coding and such! Something I don’t even know how to do, this was a very enjoyable game, when I came I expected maybe a 4 something like that?
My expectations were blown out of the water, 6/8-7/8 it was enjoyable as hell not to mention the amount of effort you put in was like getting a shirt and turning that into a ‘secret ending’ award ;).It was definitely admirable the way you made this.Using endings isn’t new just not used to much these days, but clues?
That’s a whole ‘nother story
Like a murder mystery contained in this game were your choices matter like how buns need meat to be a beef burger.From getting ****ed from water to helping a thing that’s stuck.I really think you did bloody good my friend, so imma go with a 6/8.You ignited a great concept, with a gripping storyline and a show of the amount of damn effort you put into this.
You should be proud of your work.(Which of course you are)
Maybe make a sequel so you can add onto this story
Cause this concept is to great to just throw to time-Mistery
-- Mistery on 3/9/2018 9:25:46 PM with a score of 0
This story was super fun! I enjoyed it a lot. :)
-- EleanaWoods on 2/7/2018 11:58:20 PM with a score of 0
thanks very much very good
-- xx on 11/29/2017 10:41:04 AM with a score of 0
Fun little time-killer but the tone and plot switched much too quickly and requires a lot of suspension of disbelief. 5/8
-- Dajano56 on 11/28/2017 7:45:01 PM with a score of 0
Although short, this is one of the best stories I've ever played on here.
-- 1998 on 9/3/2017 2:41:50 AM with a score of 0
what an awesome game! I will definitely be replaying it several times to see what new adventures I can have. I appreciated that the author advised to make honest choices instead of going back and redoing things and I think that made me enjoy the game even more.
-- emilykat44 on 8/4/2017 2:35:26 PM with a score of 0
Good game. Gave me chills. That secret ending though...damn.
-- crazygurl on 6/20/2017 1:40:06 AM with a score of 0
I feel like I'm your biggest fan right now. The first game I played on this site was yours, and when I played another game made by another person, I immediately stopped playing and played another game of yours(this one). I fell in love with your other game Before Midnight, and keep up the awesome work!!!
-- PurpleEmpress on 1/19/2017 9:44:57 PM with a score of 0
Wow! This was actually a really cool and engaging game! Sounded a bit like Until Dawn at some points, but that was one of the reasons I loved, so no harm no foul. I would recommend this game to anyone who enjoys action, mystery, and a splash of horror. >:D
-- LegendaryLoris on 12/24/2016 10:42:59 AM with a score of 0
This story was truly an immersive experience, and I am proud to have completed it. It was well put together, set itself apart from other horror stories, and overall was a very good read.
-- Thomas_Mason on 12/12/2016 11:33:04 PM with a score of 0
I really enjoyed this game
i saved both charlie and elizabeth
-- katgirl22 on 10/28/2016 11:20:04 AM with a score of 0
Amazing game, great job.
-- Aiden Stanley on 9/28/2016 1:08:09 PM with a score of 0
Well written story, there are some spelling and grammar errors towards the end of the story though. I got the secret ending!
-- BigRonn77 on 9/22/2016 2:51:31 PM with a score of 0
Yay! I got the secret ending :)
I do have a few questions...which I shall head over to the parlor to ask
-- Seto on 6/18/2016 12:19:45 AM with a score of 0
This was a pretty damn good horror story. I got a slightly 'Until Dawn' vibe from it, but it was well written, and the butterfly effect choices were very well done. 6/8, can't wait for another of your stories
-- PortalSpartan Offline on 6/13/2016 10:27:20 PM with a score of 0
Well now I'm gonna have to either replay it or be on edge wondering what his secret is. Great. Thanks game >:(
-- SoupLover on 1/2/2016 7:29:11 PM with a score of 0
I really enjoyed this.

Potential spoiler!!!
That fox rock!!!
-- Isshyyyji on 10/19/2015 4:59:33 PM with a score of 0
Wow, really really fun and creative!! Loved the great grammar, too! I really appreciate grammar :P
I'm not revealing anything, just saying that the secret ending was AWESOME!! I love your CYOAs, and I can't wait to see more!
-- Fiend on 10/3/2015 10:08:37 PM with a score of 0
This is probably one of the best on the site! Description is great, so is grammar, and it's a proper length as well. I love this game! 8/8!
-- Warriorstar forgot to log in on 9/8/2015 9:42:17 AM with a score of 0
Amazing game! It has mystery, good grammar, and plenty of story. I am definitely replaying it to find out everything!
-- WizzyCat on 9/5/2015 6:32:50 PM with a score of 0
Wow. That.was.AMAZING!!!
-- Nate0027 on 9/2/2015 12:29:19 PM with a score of 0
Wow. Great writing. Hope to see more in the future!
-- webailey95 on 9/2/2015 9:17:51 AM with a score of 0
Awesome game. my first try and I was able to do everything but save both the girl and his boyfriend (I saved the girl). The secret ending was interesting and leaves things open for a sequel (or maybe a prequel? who knows). Loved the game.
-- wyren on 9/1/2015 8:18:57 AM with a score of 0
Why did no one comment? Oh well...
Truth to be told, it was a great game! Enjoyed it.
-- eileenthg on 8/30/2015 6:02:09 AM with a score of 0
I found the secret ending!! Wooo!
-- corgi213 on 8/29/2015 5:31:37 PM with a score of 0
I managed to save everyone, but unfortunately the killer still lives....
-- corgi213 on 8/29/2015 5:01:06 PM with a score of 0