Non-threaded

Forums » Bugs & Problems » Read Thread

Post reports about problems or bugs in here.
This bug was closed 6/20/2014: WONTFIX too much effort

Multiple Ratings + Times Finished

9 years ago

Take Homo Perfectus 8 as an example:

based on 166 ratings since 11/07/2012
played 6,669 times (finished 127)

How can a storygame have more ratings than times finished, when times finished is defined as times when players reach an end game link.

It seems to me, that when someone clicks the rating they want to give multiple times (before the rating has time to go through), it counts their votes multiple times. Now that that screen doesn't lag so much, it probably happens less, but @alexp the back end stuff confirms what I'm saying. Cookie = N on multiple votes from the same IP as long as the ratings are in quick succession. Check out the behind the scenes stuff for Homo Perfectus 8.

I think the fix is to design a script that runs once and manually sets cookie = Y to all of the offending ratings and then recalculating all final game ratings. Perhaps this should be run late at night. I don't think this is malicious, it's just that when it used to lag, people would spam their rating multiple times trying to get the screen to load.

I guess since it's happened as recently as this week, we'll need a piece of code that prevents the same IP from getting to rate a game twice even if they click it super fast.

Thoughts?

9 years ago

JJ, this is still happening unfortunately.

The skillful tactician was only published a few days ago

based on 8 ratings since 06/17/2014

played 27 times (finished 5)

9 years ago

Considering that I posted this 8 hours ago. . . I'm not overly surprised.

9 years ago

It seems to me, that when someone clicks the rating they want to give multiple times (before the rating has time to go through), it counts their votes multiple times."

Yes, and based on how slow it was, I suspect a lot of it was accidental.

The 166 is the total # of ratings recorded. Only the latest rating from a member is used. Then there's the point weighting, etc. All of that's handled by the "rating calc algorith" (i.e. the thing that does a single 1-8 score based on all ratings for a storygame), which is kinda complex. I dont think its worth it to try to get an accurate ratings count, just based on the way the code is done now.

9 years ago

Are you 100% positive that only the last vote from each member counts? There are lots of times where cookie = n for multiple votes in a row for the same member, but if it's only 1 vote per member counting, then we're golden!

9 years ago

almost 100%, just looked at it recently

the cookie column is only considered for non-member ratings

9 years ago

Right on. Thanks so much, Alex.