Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Poll (Sort of): Firstest Story

5 years ago

Well, now that space and time have become normal again, it's time for another....uhh...thing.

So since we are a site full of dedicated, productive, and exclusively the best. It's time to share details about the first story you remember writing!

Begin!

5 years ago

I was in fourth grade. Our teacher gave us an assignment: write a story for Thanksgiving. I decided to write a story about a turkey tricking two hunters into doing things for him so that he'd "be more delicious" and then at the end the hunters collapse from exhaustion and the turkey gets away scot free. I also had a Diary of a Wimpy Kid activity book before that which came with a bunch of blank pages at the end for coming up with your own stories but uh... The less we say about that, the better.

5 years ago

Lol

5 years ago

I mentioned this already in my short story thread, it's about in the middle of it currently.

5 years ago

Oh yes, I meant to read through those. I will expedite this action to....undisclosed time some point probably soon.

5 years ago

When I was eight or nine, I was supposed to write a paragraph for school.  It turned into a series of short stories about a villain named Vladimir Lemon failing spectacularly. (Some copies I made called him Limey Lemon so I would not get in trouble for naming a dude after Vladimir Lenin)  I probably still have them somewhere.

5 years ago

Lol Vladimir Lemon

5 years ago

It was in the very early stages of first grade. I wasn't exactly literate at the time so I made a book entirely out of pictures I drew stapled together and had to "read" the story to other people. It was something really stupid, like, some guy in "Olden times" walking around before a rich guy walked by and made him poor (as one does) Utterly destitute, he begged the noble to give him his money back, but was refused, so the guy swore revenge, and so he sword-fought his way up to the noble's palace and took all the rich guy's stuff.

5 years ago

Taking rich guy stuff for the win!

This is clearly the most superior visual novel in existence, all others with aspirations to make a VN should stop now and bow to Sent.

5 years ago
It wasn't my first first story, but the first one without a subject prompt from a teacher that I remember details from was in the third grade. Schools in this program (called Rising Star I think?) collected stories from all their students in each grade and printed a book, and then they'd send some stories from each age group to a state level thing. I won first in state all three years I did it but that was the first time and I wrote a super spooky mystery story of two girls investigating a dead end street where people who drove down it kept disappearing.

I mostly remember exhaustively detailing all the gear they'd take along and why, even though ultimately none of it was used. The reason people were disappearing was because their cars were being stolen by aliens and turned into giant animal robots. The girls defeated these monstrosities by...shining a flashlight in their eyes iirc, which turned out to be their secret weakness and blinded them. All the people were rescued from the alien's ship but when the police went to investigate in the morning (I guess they hadn't felt the need to get involved before this...) the alien ship was gone.

In hindsight there might have been a few plot points that weren't entirely logical.

5 years ago

Maybe everything wasn't entirely logical but it sure sounds like a good read!

5 years ago

I remember when I just started secondary school (I guess this would be junior high over in the U.S.) I wrote a Christmas Carol adaptation about a really grumpy bus driver (who was actually based on the driver of my school bus.) The plot twist at the end was that when the guy wakes up and realizes he's not really dead, he went, "Oh, THANK GOD! It was all a dream! No need to change my ways, I can go back to being the miserable bastard that I always was." cheeky

5 years ago

When I was in 4th grade we had this new creative writing class once every week. The prompt was ‘Vacations’ and I had written about a family trip to St.Petersburg (I didn’t know that was the name of an actual real life city) In my version of St. Petersburg there were beaches, sea pirates, kings and also constant tropical climate. The word count was supposed to be 100 but I misread it for 1000 so the teacher didn’t accept it saying it was too long.

5 years ago
Your teacher should be shot.

5 years ago
I don't remember how old I was, but I had to be around 2nd or 3rd grade maybe since it was after I took that special class for dyslexic kids lol.

Anyway, I still have it in a little diary I used back then. It was this story about a chipmunk who went on an adventure and had to battle an evil snake. I even drew little pictures.

I wish it wasn't in a box in storage right now, I'd totally take pictures of it for you guys. My child chicken scratch and horrible pictures are adorable lol.

5 years ago
I want to see this very badly.

I think one of mine from the fifth grade still exists in storage at my dad's house, but all he ever gives me are false promises of looking for it sometime.

5 years ago
If I ever feel like braving the storage unit or the house gets done and I find it while unpacking, I'll definitely take pics and share.

5 years ago

When I was in fourth grade, I had a writing contest with my sister. I wrote a story about a kid named Daniel who discovers he's a Jedi. He just woke up one morning with force powers and a lightsaber. Seemed legit at the time. I was pretty proud of it until my friend, Daniel, found it and thought I wrote a story about him. Then it was awkward. 

5 years ago

Hmm, mine was a lot more recent, maybe two or three years ago (unless you count essays, since I honestly don't remember the first time I wrote one, or a poem, since I wrote an edgy one about the environment when I was like five or six years old).

Anyway, there was this school assignment (that wasn't worth shit ofc, but I don't know if there's a term for that) where we had to write any story we wanted and were granted complete freedom to write what we liked. So I wanted to write something about a mage in his last test before ascending to wizardom.

Of course, I didn't have enough time and ideas to write a full story like that in a single class. To be honest I don't remember what happened, so I probably didn't even give something to the teacher.

If the poem counts, I still have it somewhere. I even won some contest in the classroom and had to read it in public for an event. Unfortunately, no one understood shit of what I meant by that, not even myself. My teacher was like "No, that's not how you read it." So I left the school very confused that day. In fact, I'm still confused about that.

5 years ago
And Zass has remained confused about most things ever since.

5 years ago

I found it, my six year old self poem, in portuguese:

A água sumindo, o ar se poluindo...

O homem destruiu!

À margem do rio

se vê a solução

a face do homem

na escuridão...

mais ligeiro que a luz

ele destruiu.

mas cadê a solução

O céu lotado de escuridão!

mas cadê a solução?

mas quem será que tem razão?

O homem é a solução.

Porém seremos libertados desta destruição?

I'll run a lazy translation below:

The water disappearing

the air polluting

the man destroyed!

at the river's margin

the solution is seen

the man's face on the darkness...

quicker than light

he destroyed.

the sky filled with darkness!

but where's the solution?

but who is right?

The man is the solution.

But will we be free from this destruction?

5 years ago
How exactly did you 'read it wrong' is what I still want to know.

5 years ago

Something in the intonation? I think I thought at the time all poems were read as a drama or something.

5 years ago

The first story that I remember writing involved a dragon and it’s rider fighting in a gladiatorial ring against various monsters. That was in kindergarten/ first grade. Later that same year I wrote a game about four bugs, (a spider, scorpion, grasshopper, and bumblebee) playing tag. My teacher, unbeknownst to me, sent the story on to the county contest wherein my story won among my age group. 

Yeah I’ve been involved in writing for pretty much all my life. 

5 years ago
Well, not counting the last ten months.

5 years ago
I imagine that last story playing out something like this:

5 years ago
I'm not really sure about my first story, but I remember doing one in 3rd grade where we had to use as many words from a list for a Halloween story and I managed to use every single one.