Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Grammar/writing custom help: written words, quotes

4 years ago
At the risk of losing five points (even though I've already written 1000 words in the coronavirus thread), I have a grammar question. This was never addressed in school, so here's my question: if your protagonist reads something in the story or makes note of something written that s/he sees, do you put it in quotations? Can you use italics instead?

4 years ago

I think you can use italics, a block quote, or just separating it in some way from the rest of the text. Some examples below.

Opening the letter, shadowdrake27 read the terrible news: 

Dear Shadowdrake27,

Your COVID-19 test was positive, have fun dying.

-CDC

Opening the letter, shadowdrake27 saw four words that stuck out to him, COVID-19 test was positive.

Opening the letter, shadowdrake27 read the terrible news: 

Dear Shadowdrake27,

Your COVID-19 test was positive, have fun dying.

-CDC

I hope that is helpful! I am not sure if you have a specific instance you are trying to use this for, but if you do, posting it will help someone give better advice! I think all three of the above methods can be used. Someone better at grammar could tell you if that is true or not.

4 years ago
Thanks. I'm glad italics are allowed, since that's my preference by far.

4 years ago

Yeah, it gets the point across at the very least. I think it is technically correct too, but Gower would know for sure (as Mizal mentions in her post). Try the link below:

Gower's Office Hours

4 years ago
This is a quality thread. I feel like a grammar neanderthal who just discovered fire.

4 years ago

I know what you mean... If you think that is good, just check out Gower's articles:

Basic Sentence Structure: Additive Sentences

Cumulative Sentences, Part 1

Semicolons and Advanced Additive Sentences

Relative Sentences

4 years ago
This might be a good time to dig up Gower's Office Hours thread, it was made for questions on obscure little issues like these. Can't remember if this one has been covered yet though.