Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Hatter's Hat Review: Edition I

4 years ago

I heard we were doing reviews! So I reviewed three of my several hats in my collection of hats. Because I am a Hatter. And according to respected sources, hats and Alice in Wonderland are my only personality traits because I'm honestly just a shell of my former self by this point. But I'll be damned if I don't make the best of them.

So as you probably might not recall I ordered a red, heart-shaped hat on Valentine's Day earlier this year and I was deeply disappointed with the quality for the cost of it. It was on sale for about fifty dollars (down from a hundred, no less!) It is handmade and I am all for supporting my fellow hatters, but in the wise words of my mother, "No one should be able to tell a hat is handmade. It should look as if it has always existed," or something of the sort. (She was mad! Haha.)

But this hat is so low quality. It is made from cheap felt and the sewing around the crown is poor (it looks as if the maker lost control of the sewing machine and doubled up the sewing on the front of all places!?) and the heart shaped brim was so shittily cut (with safety scissors probably) I had to cut and clean it up myself! There is also no sewing or ribbon around the brim, meaning after time the edges will inevitably fray as well.

Regardless, if one doesn't look too close, I can wear it without much trouble. Although I think I will go and sew a ribbon around the crown, if anything, to hide the horrendous sewing. It doesn't look much like a heart from the front, unless I tilt my head up. But I believe it will work decently for an all-season accessory.

Quality: 5/10 | Idea: 9/10 | Price: 0/10 | Would wear again? Yes. (I'm gonna get my fifty dollars out of this hat if it kills me!)

My second hat is my favorite one in my collection. It is a vintage, red wool sunhat with a silk ribbon and big bow on the side. I bought it for twenty dollars, which is incredible for a vintage hat so well made and preserved. (And a testament to my hatmaking ancestors!)

The sewing is decent although not perfect. (The seem of the brim runs along the opposite side of the bow, meaning you're supposed to wear the bow on the front? When the bow should be facing backwards, per common style. It is a pretty bow, however.)

The felt is noticeably higher quality than the heart hat and the ribbon and bow are also well-done and good quality. It is sturdy, but someone heavy for a sunhat. I imagine it would be quite warm in the Summer.

It's too decorative for my usual outfits but I still adore it. It was the hat that started my collection.

Quality: 9/10 | Idea: 10/10 | Price: 10/10 | Would wear again? Probably not often. It is a vintage so I would be afraid of wear and tear. Not to mention, I'm not having any extravagant tea parties at the moment. :~(

My final hat I have to review today is the one I wear most often. It is a sleek, black fedora (an actual fedora!) I bought for less than twenty dollars. It is machine-made, so the sewing is well done and the hat itself is stiff and shapely and it has an adjustable sweatband so it fits snugly.

It is stylish for today's fashion and it matches most of my darker outfits. I've worn it most often in the cold, given the dark color, but I'm sure it could just as well keep the sun off my face need be. It is attractive and minimal and rather than folks making fun of my height, they make fun of my hat instead!

Quality: 8/10 | Idea: 6/10 | Price: 10/10 | Would wear again? Yes.

Thanks for reading! ;~)

4 years ago

We better not let Cricket catch wind of this thread.

That hat also looks decidedly purple to me.

4 years ago
Cool beans (er... hats)!

4 years ago
I feel so much more knowledgeable about hats now! Will the next issue explore one of the other thirds of your personality? That of ether Being Mad or of being an Alice reference, both would be fascinating I'm sure.

4 years ago

The Fedora for some odd reason looks more like a stetson that hasn't had the side pinned up yet.

4 years ago
I have hats!

That's summer hat, driving hat, raining hat, and every day hat.

4 years ago

My favourite is the second.  Can you explain the different types of hats and what is a fedora and what is not? Because I don't know the differences and all that. I am with Sent, the last one seems purple

4 years ago
The last hat is actually gold.