Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Mobile games thread

3 years ago
Convince me that they can be good.

Very much prefer a real game with some challenge and a sense of progression, and if money is involved just let me buy the thing once instead of it relying on IAPs.

I use Android and GooglePlay is just this horrible morass of buggy and deceptively advertised garbage and endless non-games for eight year olds and Facebook moms.

On PC I like the games where you click the little men and order them around. Board games, card games and the like are great too. I don't see much point in trying for a first person experience on a tiny tiny screen I'm only going to be using out somewhere I'm interrupted a lot while playing.

Mobile games thread

3 years ago

"I like the games where you click the little men and order them around."

Just like in real life.

Anyway, here's what is on my phone right now. I'm sure you have some of these and a few have expansions if you feel the base game isn't enough.

30 Second Life

60 Parsecs

60 Seconds

AI Dungeon

BitLife

Brief History of the World

Chainsaw Warrior: Lords of Night (There's also the first one just called Chainsaw Warrior which is a digital version of the boardgame)

Death Worm

Elder Sign Omens (Has expansions. Digital boardgame)

Fallout Shelter

King of Dragon Pass

NEOScavenger

Neuroshima Hex! (Has expansions. Digital boardgame)

Only One

Out There Omega: The Alliance (This is the most updated version of the game)

Plague Inc.

Queen's Wish (Spiderweb RPG)

Reigns

Seedship (Got a few updates minor updates)

Six Ages

Talisman (Digital boardgame which has a shitload of expansions, if you want something more mission based in the same setting there is also Talisman Origins which has a sizable amount scenarios with you guessed it more scenarios you can download.)

Waterdeep (Has a couple small expansions. Digital boardgame)

iWestnoth (Has a bunch of free scenarios available for download)

I don't think these are available on the phone, but I'll list them since I either have or had them on my ipad so if you see them avilable for your phone, you probably should take a look.

Small World (Has a few expansions. Digital boardgame)

Qvadriga (Chariot racer manager sim, you also control your chariots during the races, upgrade the drivers, chariots, horse, etc)

There is also Warhammer Quest 1 & 2 which are basically dungeon crawlers where you go in with your adventurers and get loot, level up, repeat.

I remember you saying being interested in Mars, well there's a digit version of the boardgame Terraforming Mars which is exactly what it sounds like. Manage resources trying to beat the other players to settling Mars, etc.

Further searching will result in more digital boardgames. They've been doing a lot of digital versions of them over the years.

Mobile games thread

3 years ago
I had not realized NEOScavenger had a mobile version, thanks, you have just improved my life.

Fallout Shelter I played for a bit but ran out of things to do. I should check it again to see if they've added anything I guess. King of Dragon Pass I obviously already had, and Six Ages was a bit of a disappointing sequel given how long I waited for the PC version. Fun to beat once but not much for replayability.

But several of those others look worth checking out. I think we have pretty similar taste in games for the most part so this is a much more solid list of recommendations than I'd get from any of those weird kids like Puds.

Mobile games thread

3 years ago
It's been awhile since I played NeoScavenger and I seem to have forgotten some important details, like how to make a FIRE. I seem to remember bags and things to carry inventory around in being a lot easier to come by too. Still got a bitchin dogman coat at least...

Mobile games thread

3 years ago

Underhanded is basically a ghetto Cultist Simulator, but it has the advantage of being a mobile game that's free and has no ads or monetization. Unfortunately once you've beaten the game there's not a lot to do besides kill people and see how many relics you can have in your hand at the same time.

DAN BALL is a cool dev from years and years ago that also has fun free and adless games, but they're based on individual pixels. Not too much of a problem on PC where the screen is big, but on phone the little physics-based stickmen can strain your eyeballs

Mobile games thread

3 years ago
You changed your avatar?!

And GooglePlay recommendations just instantly all changed to card games now. I'm so relieved!

I have no idea what I must have clicked at some point but it's been shoving a solid wall of anime girls at me for awhile now.

Mobile games thread

3 years ago

Oh, yes. I really liked this demon's screaming expression, though it doesn't come across too well when it's all compressed on the forums.

Mobile games thread

3 years ago

I feel like I've seen that pic before somewhere. Like some horror magazine or old RPG rule book.

Mobile games thread

3 years ago
Yeah same. Thinking kappa from old school D&D.

Mobile games thread

3 years ago

It's actually a Henry Justice Ford drawing. He's a guy who used to illustrate a lot of fairy tales and whatnot in a pretty cool way. I forget what exact story this was from, just that these guys were somewhere in the background and I liked them a lot.

Mobile games thread

3 years ago
I took a quick look at Underhand and first impression is that the music is seriously unsettling to me. Just something about all that weird clicking that seems to happen at random.

Looks like a lot of fun, but I'm holding off on really getting into any of these I've downloaded until the weekend, need to catch up on the comments for all the tiny topia games and then Ninja's poor neglected Sterling City.

Mobile games thread

3 years ago

Exiled Kingdoms is a fun old-school rpg although it's better on desktop. 

Mobile games thread

3 years ago
I kept seeing that one advertised, I might've tried it by now if Bluestacks hadn't abruptly stopped working on Windows 10 after some update.

Mobile games thread

3 years ago

I remember geometry dash being pretty good.  It's like a cross between a rhythm game and a platformer.  And there's also a few games like Fez, Stardew Valley, and Terraria that got ported over, though I can't imagine why anyone with access to a real computer would choose to play them on a phone.  But yeah, most of the stuff on the App store is pretty trash nowadays because of in app purchases and whatnot.  I think the reason mobile games specifically are problematic is because a lot of their market is, as you said, eight year olds and Facebook moms who don't know any better.  If the only games you play are bad ones, then you'll never think to question whether they can actually be better. I used to spend a lot of time playing mobile games when I was little, especially Pokemon clones.  I remember the first time I picked up a REAL Pokemon game, the fact that I didn't have to wait two hours or pay in order to heal after a battle blew my mind.  But if I'd played nothing but mobile games my whole life, I'd never have known the difference.

It also probably doesn't help that people expect mobile games to be free, so the developers have to find other ways to make a profit.

Mobile games thread

3 years ago
I'm starting to find some that actually do seem at least worth a look even aside from the ones mentioned in the thread. Thank you all for helping me get out of Google Play's truly hellish anime waifu recommendation ghetto.

Mobile games thread

3 years ago
If anyone knows of a mobile game that meets all this criteria I'd be astounded but I'll settle for most:

- mindless, I should not have to think to play it
- adless, no ads.
- easy on the eyes, some form of dark mode
- small, no 2.5GB updates. ideally the game should be under 70MB
- one handed, I should be able to eat chips while playing and my hand doesn't have to stretch across my phone to play

Mobile games thread

3 years ago

The Powder Game and most of its clones don't have ads iirc. There's also a pretty easy and customizable strategy game about Hexagons called Antiyoy which doesn't have any ads and garbage.

Mobile games thread

3 years ago
The one I was telling you about is called Zen Koi.

Like I said I'd barely consider it a game, more of a stress cure. Your koi goes around to eat bugs, no pressure, you can't even starve. And then eventually when you love another koi fish very much you swim around each other in circles while nice music plays and an egg appears.

There's this whole other element where you can try to breed every color and pattern combination, you get a catalogue for tracking that if you care. But mostly it just had very good sound design and made me relaxed.

There's also a Zen Koi 2 but I never tried it, and you won't want it because the fish on the icon is pink in that one.

Mobile games thread

3 years ago
Soul Knight or Punch Quest, it's everything except the last one.

Also, Puzzle Quest.

Mobile games thread

3 years ago
Iron Marine is paid (very cheap tho) and has microtransactions (avoidable unless a person sucks at games) and it has tons of men you can order around.

On that note, why not install a PSP (free) or Nintendo DS (paid) emulator? Tons of actual great games on mobile voila.

Mobile games thread

3 years ago

Wasn't there a free DS emulator? Or, at least it was paid-optional. The people behind My Oldboy would tend to do stuff like that, where you were allowed to use the emulator for free, but emulator perks like speeding up the gameclock and using gameshark codes are paid options.

Mobile games thread

3 years ago
The one I used cost 6 bucks and runs like a dream on my crappy phone. There are free versions but they have either too many bugs or run too slow. On that note, the free (and only) 3DS emulator was released on early access on Android: https://citra-emu.org/ (I would recommend trying it if you have a high end device)

Mobile games thread

3 years ago
A DS emulator sounds really tempting but I think I would lose my job if this happened. Having access to Discord and the forum is bad enough.

Mobile games thread

3 years ago

If you dig Cards against Humanity you might like Evil Apples. I haven't played it in a while but if I remember correctly it's free with minimal ads. The only thing that sucks is waiting for other players to put cards in. They might've added a time limit of like 30 secs to make sure games don't take days to do. There's different card packs you can get by using the in-game currency by playing and winning. Overall pretty fun if you're just looking for some casual.