Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Cooking With Autists

3 years ago
One of our dear members is learning how to cook. He's much better than he used to be. But it's a process. One that is very much ongoing. So if you guys can help by sharing any tips, recipes, or instructions, that would be great. It's best if they're detailed. Really detailed. Like, "how much pink there should be when you stir the hamburger" or "what kind of oil to saute food in" detailed.

Cooking Thread for Autists

3 years ago

This is disturbingly close to what my boyfriend has to go through when I attempt cooking.

Maaaaaaatt! I can't reach this! Can you get it down for me?

Maaaaaaatt! I can't find this! Can you find it for me?

Maaaaaaatt! I don't have this ingredient! Can you go to the store and buy it for me?

Maaaaaaatt! Is it supposed to be black when it comes out of the oven?

3 years ago

I would offer some sagely cooking advice, but there's part of me that wants to believe that they're still working on turning the skillet on.

3 years ago
The caps in this thread are from a week ago and I was much much much worse a month or two ago (ie which one is a table spoon? *shows picture of regular spoons*). My most recent endeavor was cooking many chicken thighs at once as my second dish using the electric skillet. There's much more context surrounding my kitchen/home situation that I'm sure mizal could rage about for hours but essentially everything is several years expired and I had 0 food, 0 cooking experience, 0 surfaces to work on, 0 space to store food, and 0 clean dishes. So we've built up quite a bit from that to me basically having a mini kitchen in my room and I cook food at my computer desk. What a journey.

3 years ago
And compared to a few months ago, you're pretty much a professional chef now. This was meant to be in the OP, because of its intense wholesomeness, but I messed up. So I'll just put it here.

3 years ago
Why am I picturing Ford dancing around a huge fire pit with a wild boar roasting on a spit above? ^_^

3 years ago
That's what I imagined at the time too

3 years ago
Indeed it has been quite the learning experience, for everyone. That minifridge was a major leap forward into the present century though.

3 years ago
This is the cutest thing ever! ^_^

Cooking With Autists

3 years ago
@Chanbot Okay, I managed to distill a pasta salad down to its simplest possible form, and made some attempt to measure things for you. Pasta salad is great because besides being cheap and quick and easy to throw together, it's even better the second day and you can just eat it cold straight out of the fridge. All you need for this at the minimal level is pasta, italian dressing, and a vegetable or two. But there's a lot of stuff you can just throw in there based on whatever odds and ends you have around, it's pretty versatile. I went with broccoli because I know you have a bag in the freezer right now, but you can do the same recipe with peas instead. First, make your pasta. You can use shells or just about anything, but I'd avoid the long spaghetti type noodles for this, they absorb moisture differently because of the shape. There's 4 cups of it here cooked...I'm not sure what the dry amount was but probably close to that. This was just leftover pasta from something I made last night. When it's cooked, drain and rinse it with cold water and then put it in a container in a fridge so it can start chilling down. Or make it ahead of time like me so you can just take it out of the fridge and it's good to go. Just a couple of handfuls of broccoli in a tupperware, and I added a half cup of water. Just gently set the lid on top without snapping it in place and microwave. In this case two minutes was perfect, it doesn't even need to be cooked really, just thoroughly unfrozen will do. It's a terrible crime to overcook veggies obviously, so if you're not sure of the time with different amounts (or if you're using peas) just heat for one minute at a time and then check to see if there's any frost left on them before adding another. Once that's done, give the broccoli a rough chop. ...if you're using peas, you can skip that step. When the noodles are cool, put them in a big bowl with plenty of room to add things and mix them around without making a mess. I sprinkled on garlic powder, parsley, and pepper before adding the broccoli and then the dressing. This would also be a good opportunity for you to use your lemon pepper. (And if you can get ahold of fresh parsley to chop up in there, that's even better.) You can use any kind of Italian dressing, there's different brands with different flavors on the label like Robust or Zesty but it's all just vinegar with oil and spices so basically all the same. I forgot to measure the dressing and just squirted some in there, but you'd want to start with I'd say about 1 tablespoon per cup of pasta, and stir and fluff it around, and then see if you need more from there. The idea is to have the dressing COAT the noodles, not drown them. You don't want a puddle in the bottom of the bowl. (Shake the bottle before you use it so you get more than just the oil that's separated to the top.) At this point it's technically fine to eat just like that, but a little on the sad side. You want some color in there. You could try chopping red bell pepper or even finely dicing some carrots may work. As I said, it's really versatile so you can mix in just about any kind of veggie. Here I added a tomato and a cup of shredded cheese. I'd have sliced some castelvetrano olives in there too if I'd had any left, and fresh parsley is always great. I know you don't really like cheese, but it's okay, you can learn. The next time you have a block of cheddar sitting in the fridge, you might consider this instead of letting it grow a new civilization over several months... Anyway, you can eat right away, but it's better fully chilled and after the flavors have had a little time to blend. It might be a little dry after a day or two, the noodles will soak up the dressing, but you can mix in a splash or two more and it should be good to go. Some crumbled bacon or diced chicken is also really good in there, if you have it. Update: congrats on your spaghetti btw, I'm very proud of you!!

Cooking With Autists

3 years ago
It's so wholesome that you'd do this, even if its for ford.

0/10 since you suggested adding olives though.

Cooking With Autists

3 years ago
Try the castelvetrano ones, they don't have a heavy olive flavor, they're just buttery and salty and delicious.

Cooking With Autists

3 years ago

Olives are a must.  To say otherwise is blasphemy.

Cooking With Autists

3 years ago
cold vinegar noodles sounds like a terrible idea but I will try this some day regardless

Cooking With Autists

3 years ago
It's not like I invented the concept of pasta salad. Trust me though it's much better than it sounds. Just like pasta itself is always so much tastier than wet strips of boiled bread have any right to be.

You are free to search out other variations of this, but be careful. Until now I have carefully shielded you from the knowledge that there are "people" out there who add macaroni noodles to a bowl of mayonnaise and call it a "salad".

Cooking With Autists

3 years ago

Throw in some chopped pepperoncini and cubed pepperjack cheese, if you lose the broccoli.  For a green, try some fresh baby spinach instead.  A little chopped red and yellow bell pepper goes a long way, as well.

My wife goes for rotini instead of the farfalle.  More recently I started growing some Genovese basil, if you pluck it and immediately chop it and mix it in, it takes it to a whole other level.

When my wife makes a batch of her pasta salad, I eat that straight lunch and dinner every day until it's gone.  Amazing stuff.

Cooking With Autists

3 years ago
I don't know most of those words and as such they don't belong in this thread please stop encroaching on my safe space and respect my choices #blacklivesmatter

Cooking With Autists

3 years ago
I don't really have set recipes for much of anything. Pasta salad is one of those things that's just really nice to have in the fridge in the summer, but I don't tend to buy anything specifically for it and I basically never make it the same way twice.

In this case I was catering it specifically to Ford though and my knowledge of what ingredients he's likely to have on hand. (Not many.)

Cooking With Autists

3 years ago
I like this salad a lot with tricolor rotini (because it's fun) and pepperoni. If Mizal and I both like it, it must be good.

Cooking With Autists

3 years ago
The one my mom used to make with pepperoni had italoam seasoning and olives and bellpepper with tomato and cheese, pretty much a pizza in pasta form and it was great.

(what is dead may never die)