Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Update About My Mom

3 years ago

So about a month ago my mom was retested for Covid-19 and came up negative so they sent her back to her own nursing home. Well, they rushed her to the hospital earlier this week because she was sweating and had a high blood pressure. They tested her again and found she was positive again. She was put on oxygen and given blood thinners. (One of my friends explained the thinners were to keep her from having strokes.)  She wasn't feeling well. They were going to get a cardiologist to look at her heart. 

My sister just sent me a text saying they were going to send her back to her nursing home and put her in quarantine for the next few weeks. So I'm guessing she's okay.

I don't like this disease.

Anyway, I hope all of you in Interactive Fiction Land are doing well.

Update About My Mom

3 years ago

Wishing her well.

And I'm pretty sick of this virus, too. I'll be glad when it's only a bad memory that I can block out.

Update About My Mom

3 years ago

Thanks.

Update About My Mom

3 years ago
I guess it's better than anything being dramatically wrong, but quarantine in a nursing home sounds pretty depressing. I hope things improve soon.

Update About My Mom

3 years ago
My small sleepy hometown actually had a decent amount of deaths due to coronavirus, but they were all exclusively in the new nursing home that had been built only a few years back.

Places like that where you have a gathering of weak immune system people mixed with overworked staff that normally work in multiple locations is a dangerous combo.

If shes there then they at least probably thinks shes gonna be okay though.

Update About My Mom

3 years ago

I'll keep you all posted. Hope everyone is doing okay on this site.

Update About My Mom

3 years ago

This morning the people at my mother's nursing home found her unresponsive and rushed her to the ER of the hospital she'd been at before. Not much information right now. I'll keep you all posted.

Update About My Mom

3 years ago
I'm sorry you're going through this. Let us know when you hear something.

Update About My Mom

3 years ago

I will, mizal. Thank you. Just hope she'll be okay.

Update About My Mom

3 years ago

My mom seems to be doing better today. Yesterday, they had to run a central line through her neck and had identified that she had some kind of infection. Apparently, they have since discovered she has  pneumonia, which was probably an offshoot of having Covid-19. Now that they know what the infection is they can more adequately treat it.  I'll let you all know how things go. Hope everybody here is doing well.

Update About My Mom

3 years ago

I'm glad your mom's doing well, man. Still terrifies me how Covid-19 seems to have a totally random set of symptoms and complications for every patient. I hope she continues to recover.

Update About My Mom

3 years ago

Thanks.

Update About My Mom

3 years ago
Glad she's improved, I hope you continue to get good news there.

This Covid stuff is getting really tiresome. My dad's has been in and out of hospitals the last week for an unrelated reason and on one hand, the difficulty in actually seeing him is incredibly frustrating, while at the same time there's the issue of out of town travel and all of our sudden exposure to other family members to worry about.

Really would've preferred not mixing our germ pool with anybody in Houston of all places right now, but they had to transfer him so it was unavoidable. So now that's going to be a low level stress factor the next couple weeks, on top of everything else.

Update About My Mom

3 years ago

mizal, sorry about your dad. Hope he gets well soon. Houston? So you're in East Texas. I live in San Antonio. Nice to know another Texan on this site. You know, Robert E. Howard, creator of Conan the Barbarian, was from East Texas. He was born in Peastor and lived most of his life in Crossplains.

Update About My Dad

3 years ago
My dad finally got to come back home yesterday. Been a rough few weeks for us but he's doing 100% better. (Aside from the inedible hospital food causing him to lose 13 lbs when he's already underweight....)

How have things been with your mom?

There are a few of us here from Texas, but we could always use more. And yes, Robert E. Howard was a pretty cool guy. I always thought he'd have enjoyed being born 70 or 80 years later so he could nerd it up with the rest of us (and get some mental help and emotional support from people who understood him better) but of course he was so influential to fantasy even in the brief time he was alive it might look pretty different today without him.

Update About My Dad

3 years ago

My mom seems to be doing better now, mizal. They moved her to another place where she can adequately recover before they have her go back to her nursing home. I was able to call her this week and she told me she's on oxygen but that she's breathing better. I think she said she has a physical therapist who's giving her breathing exercises; hopefully, she won't always have to be on oxygen, but she was a smoker for close to 40 years.

Glad your dad is feeling better. Sorry about his weight loss.

I'll be so much happier when we have a mass-distributed vaccine-- even though some people are already saying they'll refuse to take it. Funny that it's genetic engineering that may be getting us out of this mess.

Oh, and speaking of Robert E. Howard, have you ever seen The Whole Wide World? It came in in1996 and stared Vincent D'Onofrio and Renee Zellwiger and was about Robert E. Howard's relationship with his school teacher girlfriend, Novalyne Price.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MpKsI_Q8VM

Update About My Dad

3 years ago
Hope all the moving around doesn't stress her out. Glad she still seems generally recovered from the covid at least, but any issues related to breathing aren't ideal of course.

Considering how close they came to having to saw half my dad's skull off I'm not really bothered by the weight loss, but you'd think the hospital food was the worst part of the whole ordeal the way he's still going on about it, lol.

Never heard of that movie but I'll add it to my list and hopefully get to it sometime soon. I haven't seen a bad Renée Zellweger movie yet.

Update About My Dad

3 years ago

They've moved her back to her nursing home. I expect they'll keep her in quarantine for two weeks and let her mingle amongst her friends. So happy she's gotten through this. With her age and all of her health issues I was very concerned. 

I didn't realize they almost had to saw half your dad's skull off. Glad it didn't come to that.