Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Punctuation when quoting a question

3 years ago
rather than asking it. (Yes, another Fluxion grammar thread...)

Suppose you want tell someone that a wise owl once asked how many licks it takes to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop. What kind of punctuation would you use to tell someone that he asked the question? It's still a question, so does it need a question mark? But then again, YOU aren't asking the question, so why would it need a question mark? Does it require BOTH a question mark in the quotations and a concluding punctuation after the question is quoted?

Which of these (if any) is correct?

(1) The wise owl once asked, "How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?" But of course, he was misled. It only takes a single bite.

(2) The wise owl once asked, "How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop." But of course, he was misled. It only takes a single bite.

(3) The wise owl once asked, "How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?". But of course, he was misled. It only takes a single bite.

3 years ago
Third one seems right.

3 years ago
First one. The period after the quoted question mark in sample three is extraneous.

3 years ago
Based on Gower's dialogue article, I believe it's the third one. But realistically, he'd be the only one to notice if that were wrong. You might consider bumping the Office Hours thread when you have any extremely specific questions like this, Gower's a little busy these days but he probably can't resist explaining punctuation at someone.

3 years ago
I think I'll do that, including for this specific question. What harm could it do? Worst case scenario he just has a notification that he ignores.

3 years ago

Apparently here's a good example of how NOT to do it.

Lol