Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Chapters?

3 years ago
I don't mean the ones in the Advanced Editor, I know those are just for us to use. Mizal gave me a lot of advice on organization when I first started here, but what I'm trying to figure out now is how accepting readers would be of a storygame with chapters, I mean like in the book sense. The beginning and end of each one is always the same basic events, with different choices within it and some customized text at the end. With several choices in the final chapter leading to more traditionally branching endings.

Is this too linear? I'm not even intending it to be necessarily replayed, it's more of a roleplaying thing with events largely out of your hands. (To be specific, you're trapped on a spaceship you aren't in control of.)

Chapters?

3 years ago
Do you mean like this?

Chapters?

3 years ago
What's that from? Because that's exactly what I was thinking of, sort of like contained mini adventures that each lead to the next one.

Chapters?

3 years ago
It's linked to in this article that talks about paths in stories.

Chapters?

3 years ago
>it's more of a roleplaying thing with events largely out of your hands. (To be specific, you're trapped on a spaceship you aren't in control of.)

I should play skybreak again soon.

Chapters?

3 years ago
Lol, first thing I thought of too.

Chapters?

3 years ago
That does look interesting, I may give it a try this weekend.

Funnily mine has the ship controlled by an AI too, but that's where the similarities end.

Chapters?

3 years ago

Necromancer has chapters and it's one of the most cherished storygames on the site, so there's clearly nothing wrong with marking a major event as the turning of a chapter. This works because the storyline is big enough to affect the setting and characters whenever it evolves.

Chapters?

3 years ago
Commended by BerkaZerka on 3/4/2021 12:36:08 PM
More linear stories can work (such as the branching style in the picture Ogre posted). There are a many ways to handle interactive fiction, and just because something is more linear doesn't mean it has to be worse or anything. It's all about the story you're trying to create/tell.

The one thing that matters is that you want some sort of choices to be made, as it is called 'chooseyourstory' and all. I don't think worrying about something being 'too linear' is very productive, especially if you're writing something you want to write. Besides, you already mentioned that you have choices, so you should be fine. Oh, and if something does end up 'too linear', it can always be fixed by revisions anyway, as adding more choices is always a possibility.

The good thing about that style is that it can lead to a more focussed story, and readers will see more of the overall writing too! It also tends to be easier to write, but that will depend on the ambition behind how the choices that do exist interact with the story (and you know, the overall scope as well).

I'll add that some people might not like such stories as much compared to the full-blown branching narratives, but frankly, that doesn't matter (motivation tends to be more important).

Besides, chances are good that if you're writing what you enjoy, there are others out there who will also like it (even if it is not something of the more standard style).

Now, that isn't say that considering your audience isn't useful, it is, and can help you make your stories more appealing, but as mentioned, there are many people out there, so you needn't aim for some elusive 'default' audience. Writing effectively for yourself can also bleed into writing effectively for others (who are like you).

Now, I'm sure there are more considerations to be made if you're writing for some commercial purpose, or for a company (or whatever else), but the beauty of being the only stakeholder is the freedom to do what you want. Make use of it, and get writing!

Chapters?

3 years ago

Zake, I think you have given some of the best writing advice to ever grace this site. Thanks so much. 

Chapters?

3 years ago
Sometimes he gives great advice, sometimes he uses 4000 words to say something like 'I think I saw a comma splice'. When I don't have time to identify the difference I leave it to others.

Chapters?

3 years ago
I appreciate that you think I'd be able to spot a comma splice.

Chapters?

3 years ago
I appreciate that you think so. I do need to start trying to talk about more 'higher-level' stuff, since I think that'd benefit certain writers here a lot more than what I currently talk about (but I first need to learn that stuff to talk about it!).

Regardless, my current approach helps me too! It's as that saying goes, the best way to learn is to teach (even if I wouldn't quite call my current advice teaching).

Chapters?

3 years ago
Thanks for this, it's really helpful!

Chapters?

3 years ago

This is fine. I would, however, suggest including some important decisions before the last chapter (this includes ways to end the game) because it would be a bit too linear to have 90% of the story not affecting the outcome.