Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Any software/method to order your writing?

2 years ago

I looked around the website and, beside good tutorials to organise the writing process, I found nothing about software (thing like mindmap or logical diagram) that may help to represent the story paths and to structure ideas.

Do you have any to recommand? Or other kind of software I should know about?

2 years ago
Could try bubbl.us

2 years ago
Or draw.io

None of these have ever clicked with me although I like this kind of software in theory, I always go back to just writing fat paragraphs about major paths.

2 years ago
Word has a feature where you can format text into headings, and you can have as many sub headings as you want (i.e. heading 1, heading 2, heading 3). In the search, it'll show the headings and nest them appropriately.

I find this to be a nice way to organise pages, since I can use it to see some of the relationships between them (i.e. one page has three pages 'nested' below it, so it was probably some minor choice).

I don't think this method is as good for pure time cave stories, but do whatever works for you.

But regarding what you're actually looking for, I'll add that pen & paper can work. If you never tried it, give it a shot, since it's better than it sounds!

2 years ago
Scrivener is the best actual writing program I've found for organizing a branching story, although it's not quite mindmap level it does let you organize everything into folders and collapsible trees.

There's a pretty long free trial on it. And while I would strongly recommend against pirating it or anything, if you happen to have both a Windows computer and a Mac, it's pretty easy to avoid paying for both. (The fact they charge for them separately being one of the major complaints I've encountered.)

The same company has another program called Scapple that I've always meant to try out, it's for organizing notes and so on and always looked like it might be uniquely suited to planning branches.

2 years ago
I've used Twine a while back for other stories, and I use it solely for seeing the branches of my storygames as well as making notes of events, backstories, etc. for each page. I never bothered releasing actual stories on the platform (CYS supremacy), I just felt that their means of mapping and organizing pages and events was simple to get the hang of and navigate through. It's also free to use.

2 years ago
Sentinel was doing something similar until he accidentally opened the file with the wrong version of Twine and it wiped the whole thing.

2 years ago
Yikes. I've been using the online version of Twine so I'm hoping I don't run into that.

2 years ago
Is there way to get a backup? Taking a look, it seems there is an 'archive' feature.

Losing any substantial amount of work would suck, so if creating a backup is possible, doing that every once in a while might be worthwhile.

2 years ago

That's the kind of thing I was looking for. Thank you !