Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

British idiom equivalent to "piece of ass."

2 years ago
As an American, the word "ass" is used to refer to buttocks instead of "arse." However, there doesn't seem to be the same sexual context in the British word. So, I was wondering if there was a British equivalent to the idiom "piece of ass" (For non-Americans unfamiliar with the phrase, "piece of ass" is basically a vulgar, slang, idiom used to describe a women in an objectifying manner in which the person uttering the phrase considers her to be a suitable sexual partner. For example, you might tap your friend on the shoulder as a beautiful woman walks by and say, "Look at that piece of ass. Wouldn't mind spending a few hours in that.").

The motivation for this thread is is that it is usually preferable when writing fantasy to use as much British English as you can, and American idioms showing up in the text can sometimes be jarring. I need some dialogue for gruff, uncouth troglodytes hanging out in pubs, but American vulgarities may not work. So, if any of our generous non-Americans are feeling charitable (or Americans who are familiar with British idioms), please tell me any British idioms which carry the same connotation as "piece of ass." Especially if they include a vulgar word for a body part.

Thanks to the blessed souls willing to help.

2 years ago
I know “slag” tends to be used in Brit English to mean “whore”

2 years ago
@Avery_Moore

2 years ago
^if any knows about English whores, it's Briar haha!

2 years ago
Well sure I mean why else would you have given her an award for her wily ass?

2 years ago
Strumpet?

2 years ago
This one sounds like something a school girl would call another school girl. Or a middle aged man in a pub who's angry about the fact that all the beautiful women give all their attention to the Chads (or whatever the British equivalent of a Chad is).

2 years ago
Nudge, Nudge, Wink, Wink, Say no more!

2 years ago
Thank you. This has led to many searches that likely will not reflect well on my work computer. Feedbag material? Burger? Well fit? Have a buthcher's look? She's pretty posh? Ok, I'll stop now and let Avery take it from here.

2 years ago
Burger? I haven't heard that one, but I can imagine some various meanings.

2 years ago

Only time I've ever heard "burger" used to describe women is on an old episode of the Cosby Show.

Theo and his friend called girls various "burgers" based on how good they looked and when his sister (Lisa Bonet) found out about it, she went on a tirade about how sexist it was.

Until Ogre mentioned it, never heard it used before so I figured it was something just made up for the show.

2 years ago
The Cosby Show was all about good moral messages in how to treat women.

2 years ago

"Knob polisher" is another one I've heard used more by the Brits. Says it's used more to describe gay dudes though, but it might have just evolved to mean anyone sucking a lot of dick regardless of their gender.

2 years ago

"Oy, I'll bet she's a right good knob polisher, eh Nigel?"

"It's a good job you're a bender, Charles, you filthy wanker. More for me.

2 years ago

a real billy bangko 

wessex shuffleman (this one is pretty offensive)

cricket bat cleaner 

by saint george, look at those chompies! (said by british men after seeing a particularly crooked and massive set of yellow british teeth)

a real queen elizabeth (a woman the average british man finds highly desirable)

2 years ago
Lol these sound great. Unfortunately, probably wouldn't work in fantasy, given the geographical references.

2 years ago
Fantasy setting eh?

"She has HUGE tracks of land!"

2 years ago
Lol nice reference.

2 years ago

2 years ago
The British are the least sexy people on Earth, this may be a doomed quest.

2 years ago
Skank, whore, slag, dick sucker, cock wrangler, knob gobbler, ball tickler, neighbourhood bike, tramp, hussy, nympho, tart, puta…

Oh, we aren’t talking about your mum?

2 years ago
We're talking about your wife — who is a hobby horse.

2 years ago

An attractive woman with a big ass is usually referred to as "cheese" because in cockney rhyming slang, "cheese on grass" is equivalent to "piece of ass". You'll often hear british people say "aye she's proper cheese" or something to that effect. Renowned cartoon Wallace and Gromit was actually fairly edgy for the time because it was full of double entendres that implied this guy can't stop talking to his dog about eating ass.

2 years ago
Lol that cartoon sounds like a worthwhile contribution to the historical artistic vault for human kind.

2 years ago
Fuck you and your hemispheric bias.

2 years ago
^Hemiphobic

2 years ago

Biass of course meaning a person with two butts