Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Uncle advice

2 years ago

So I'm gonna be an uncle in 6 months.  My step brother wife is giving birth to a little girl and in honesty, I'm not ready at all. I'm still just 16 and I'm not good around really young kids. So I'm asking anyone here that has advice if they can give me some. I truly want to be a good uncle but I'm freaky out about this. Any advice or anything I should know?

Uncle advice

2 years ago
You get to be good with kids by being around kids.

Don't worry, it'll still be two years before she does anything but poop and cry, and nobody trusts a 16 year old guy to watch a baby alone.

Uncle advice

2 years ago

Mizal's right, unless your step brother and his wife are batshit crazy.

Show an interest in being a part of her life. Learn to be patient, especially with kids. Don't be an ass. It's not that hard, and you've got a few years to practice before she's capable of holding lifelong grudges.

Uncle advice

2 years ago

This reminds me of the first time I met my 6 year old (at the time) niece several times removed. I was 2 years old, and she refused to call me uncle which might be due to the fact that I was still wearing diapers. I also popped her balloon and made her cry. I never saw her again after that. Hope my story helps you with your situation!

Uncle advice

2 years ago

So you're saying he shouldn't shit himself and pop her balloons. Sounds like solid advice. 

Uncle advice

2 years ago

Exactly! I had to learn it the hard way, so I hope by sharing my experience, Matthaeus will avoid making the same pitfalls.

Uncle advice

2 years ago
He needs the self restraint to limit himself to only one of those things.