Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

it's high noon

2 years ago

@Morgan_R I challenge you to a duel.

Mizal will explain further in the comments the rules of this duel.

it's high noon

2 years ago
Okay, standard writing duel rules. If Morgan accepts, as the challenged party she can choose the broad genre and I'll provide a theme. There will be three days to write a regular short story of 2500 words or less.

Don't post them here, message them to me and I'll post them so they can be anonymous for voting.

Morgan may have turned in her wings to be a perpetual avatar of sloth, but surely she'll rise to this occasion for a fellow alphabet person in a bind. Bondo needs a fairly won victory.

it's high noon

2 years ago
retard. morgan doesnt read.

it's high noon

2 years ago

If that's the case, does bondogggle win by default or would a new contestant be forced asked to participate?

it's high noon

2 years ago
Letting him win by default on a no show would be too easy, when we're talking about Morgan.

it's high noon

2 years ago
What will happen to bonnie if he loses?

it's high noon

2 years ago

Probably nothing, I mean he's about as low as he can go without actually being banned at this point. Lol.

it's high noon

2 years ago
Lol, that was the wrong question to ask. If you don't mind me trying again, what happens to the loser if bonnie wins? I'm thinking about offering to stand in for Morgan if she doesn't show up. Edit: But only if bonnie's curse doesn't transfer to me.

it's high noon

2 years ago

I guess Mizal would be the one to answer since she's sort of setting this up.

it's high noon

2 years ago
Oh I'm not intending to punish the loser, this is all for Bondo to prove himself. But I'd prefer it be against Morgan so let's see if she shows up.

She is on this site just about daily so we know she'll see the tag.

it's high noon

2 years ago

This duel is to raise my ban from the Discord server, and I accepted the challenge to Morgan, not someone I don't have any writing samples of.

it's high noon

2 years ago
Lol, no need to get butthurt. I'm going by Miz's post that Morgan might not show up, and if anyone else doesn't want to, I would gladly step up to the challenge; regardless of whether I'd win or lose. But if you want to be picky, it's no skin off of my back.

it's high noon

2 years ago

Hell I'll even throw my hat in the ring you have plenty of examples of my writing.

it's high noon

2 years ago

I wanna beat the frog if Morgan doesn't come and if Lux wants to pass the torch to me. Either way, it's free entertainment for me! Bloodsports are always a delight.

it's high noon

2 years ago
You have a featured game, I'm afraid you are not eligible. We need to keep contestants at about the same level.

it's high noon

2 years ago

Ah, too bad. Well, I will then cheer from the sidelines. Lux/Morgan/whoever you are, you have my blessing to beat up bondo. 

it's high noon

2 years ago

While we're all distracted by the new refugee who constantly posts about not posting, let's not forget that @Morgan_R has logged in on the 16th and still hasn't responded to the duel.

Here's an idea: Maybe we should get Bondogggle to challenge Voldy to a duel? Both of them are sorely in need of points and a chance to demonstrate their writing competence. Also, Bondo has access to Voldy's unpublished storygame so he can see the latter's writing samples.

Of course, this is if Lux and Tmanaking are fine with giving up their chance to demolish duel the frog, and Mizal agrees to this.

it's high noon

2 years ago

Voldy and Bonfaggle actually is a great idea. It would establish a hierarchy once and for all.

If those two go at it, I also propose that Lux and Tman be the additional match between each other and then the winners of both matches fight a final round.

it's high noon

2 years ago

Now this will surely be interesting. The two losing members could also fight another round so we'll be able to rank them all.

it's high noon

2 years ago

Yeah I like that idea too.

it's high noon

2 years ago

I'm in. This sounds hella entertaning.

it's high noon

2 years ago
A mini tournament would be fun, so I'm cool with it if everyone else is.

it's high noon

2 years ago
Yeah I saw @Morgan_R hanging around, glad it's established now she doesn't give a shit about her alphabet allies and can't even feel the basic human empathy needed to not let a small innocent child languish alone and unacknowledged.

Voldy is a great idea, someone get him in here.

I'll take 50 points from Morgan for the winner to sweeten the deal.

And 50 points for myself for hosting this thing.

it's high noon

2 years ago

I already took all of her points, like I did last time. I was going to give them to bong, but he decided to be a "lol quirky!" zoomer and post an entire movie script in his profile. I can't admin him. The trials and tribulations of being a janny on here. 

it's high noon

2 years ago
Don't just give him the fucking points, we'll never get our drawings that way.

it's high noon

2 years ago

Oof, you're right.

It's been a rough week for me as a janny...

Still it has been confirmed that Morgan only ever responds and actually makes a thread when we fuck with her points. Proven guaranteed results. But still, Bong does have his responsibilities in the art mines. 

We all know MHD has her own atelier. The only way to describe the amazing quality of her drawing lines. 

I think that's what it is called.

it's high noon

2 years ago
Agreed though that it apparently really is the only way to make her respond. Too bad it's too late for her to participate, I hope she can figure out some other way to negotiate their return. But it'll have to be with you, you're holding them and it's not like we can just make other, different points appear out of thin air. That's crazy talk.

it's high noon

2 years ago

I'll give them back to her so that you can host your duel with some of her points. That's what you're doing, right? In any case, maybe she just missed the notification of being tagged? Yeah, that happens sometimes. 

it's high noon

2 years ago
Okay.

Actually I think I'll just withdraw points from her as needed for all future duels too. There's like a thousand in there, they'll fund these for a long time.

it's high noon

2 years ago
@Voldy Stop moping and get your ass in here. This is a great opportunity to show all of us you fit in here. Besides, if you win, it'll get you out of debt; if you don't, just be glad you aren't cursed like bongfiddle.

it's high noon

2 years ago
I read the rules above. If that's it, I accept.

it's high noon

2 years ago
Okay, pick a genre then.

it's high noon

2 years ago
Horror.

it's high noon

2 years ago
Horror it is.

@bondogggle

No specific theme but I want a villain that is smart and intimidating. Let's see how you guys do writing someone so unlike yourselves.

I'll even be extra generous with the deadline and make it Sunday morning at 9:00am Central Time.

it's high noon

2 years ago
OK.

it's high noon

2 years ago

shit I'm late

thank you for the extension

it's high noon

2 years ago
And they're off!

it's high noon

2 years ago
@Lux_Inferni
@tmanaking

I suppose to be fair everyone should use the same theme for this first round.

I'll make separate threads for voting once I have the stories.

it's high noon

2 years ago

Same deadline and note about the villain? And makes sense but damn it I don't have the best history with horror.

it's high noon

2 years ago
Yes, same rules for everyone.

Horror I'm going to define pretty broadly for this, as long as the suspense is there. It could even take place in a fantasy or sci fi setting, or conversely be completely grounded with no supernatural elements at all.

it's high noon

2 years ago
Horror is one of the more difficult genres to do well, and I probably won't do well. But, I like a challenge. Can the villain be a something as long as it's still smart and intimidating?

it's high noon

2 years ago
It is indeed a difficult genre, but one that most people suck at equally. And see above, I'm not placing many restrictions on this.

I'll cut the survivors a break in the next round and make it something easy.

it's high noon

2 years ago

Everyone, place your bets! Who will emerge victorious? And who shall suffer the terrible fate known as 'losing'? Stay tuned to this thread for more updates!

it's high noon

2 years ago

Voldy, you might be a cringy larper, but don't ya lose on me. I want to personally see Bondo sink deeper in his cesspit of debt.

it's high noon

2 years ago

Wait, are we betting per duel or whole bracket?

Per duel, I absolutely bet that Bondoggle will win their round, on the grounds that Voldy will make a fool of himself and/or puss out completely. As far as the overall champion, I think Tmanaking will either be first or third. He's been eerily persistent with short story output and I thoroughly expect duellists to run into deadly technical difficulties, whereas tman lets no such thing as cosmic forces stand in the way of his thousand-word commendation posts. Either way, knowing nothing of any of their individual writing abilities, I'm calling it here based purely on the fact that there's a higher chance of winning by default for both of them.

Actually, regardless of the official rules of gambling, my bets go thusly:

Bondogggle wins round 1- 100 points

Tmanaking wins at least one round by default - 10 points

Tmanaking, who has written more stories in the Creative Corner than anyone prior mentioned, wins first place. This is basically like rooting for the bigger blacker guy in a boxing match, always the safe bet.- 100 points

Voldy is a sourpuss who does not partake in the sport of kings - 10 points

Bondogggle's duct-tape-covered ipad he uses to access the internet conflagurates - 10 points

Lux Inferni does not get 4th place - 100 points

We absolutely do not get all 8 of the short stories this bracket predicts - 120 points

I'm very rich and degenerate by Cystian standards so I must gamble 450 points in one sitting.

it's high noon

2 years ago
Now this is the kind of bet I can get behind: one where the bet maker handles the outcomes themselves.

it's high noon

2 years ago
I assume that you’ll also graciously cover the transfer of me and enter’s bets? That would be much appreciated.

it's high noon

2 years ago

I agree with everything you just mentioned to a surprising degree. I feel like by some mystical force of the universe, everything you predicted will come true.

it's high noon

2 years ago

If you don't show up to your own trial by combat the punishment will be heinous 

it's high noon

2 years ago

He did bring Ebon back from the dead, after all. And your device was fixed after he said something about performing a ritual.

it's high noon

2 years ago

Bah, that was a happy coincidence for him. 

it's high noon

2 years ago

no, Sent is the new messiah

worship him or burn in COG

it's high noon

2 years ago

@ISentinelPenguinI

Your simp of a dog is barking kinda loud. You think you could put it down? 

it's high noon

2 years ago

you actually tagged me, at this time of year, at this time of day, for this salty shit

it's high noon

2 years ago

That's what they all say about MAGIC.

it's high noon

2 years ago

Time to settle this once and for all! If Sent wins his bets, we know he has magic. Yet, if he loses, then we probably just witnessed two coincidental occurrences. 

it's high noon

2 years ago

I leave my bets up to fate. Except when I'm putting enormous amounts of points on one uninsured and ill-advised bet, then I totally rig it with witchcraft. But I'm totally fine losing 450 of these points I just won

it's high noon

2 years ago

I was gonna make a comment about how once every 4-6 months isn't really "eerily persistent" then I realized that this was the creative corner, so yeah that tracks.

it's high noon

2 years ago
Does the amount of points reflect the likelihood of that thing happening?

it's high noon

2 years ago

25 points on the following final placements:

1st: Lux_Inferni

2nd: Voldy

3rd: tmanaking

4th: Boneddog

I imagine there will only be two rounds, so I'll just go ahead and say that Lux and tman, if they were on opposite sides of the bracket, would respectively take 1st and 2nd.

it's high noon

2 years ago

yeah I am kinda sad we face each other in round 1, but it is what it is. I'm genuinely curious though as to why you have lux winning. Im not trying to pick a fight or disagree. I just wonder if you have secret knowledge on lux that I've missed. Like i said no hate just idle curiosity. Though i could see how this outcome is possible. You just seem so confident.  

it's high noon

2 years ago

Well. My saying this might change how things turn out, but, in a word, adaptability. Both of you are within the same realm of skill, so that the scales could tip naturally in either direction. (In my opinion, after a few measly minutes of study) These kinds of competitions ultimately comes down to the author's ability to adapt to genre and audience while still producing a compelling piece of writing in a relatively short period of time. While you may be technically better, Lux's prior duel shows a quick and mildly amusing skill of quick thinking. Your writing is good, but clearly thought out and methodical. This is evidenced by your most recent story where you re wrote the ending. Basically a hunch that Lux will adapt more quickly. 

Prove me wrong though. That would be cool. 

Voldy winning should be obvious imo. If he loses at a genre that he chose, then he deserves last place and a special pile of crap in the lowest caste of Cystia. That would be truly shameful. Boneddog, or whatever his name is seems like the type to trip and fall on his own sword. No expectations there. 

Having 4 good entries would actually be kinda cool though, and honestly worth the loss in points if some good writing manages to get produced here. 

it's high noon

2 years ago

I mean fair enough. You are right that i prefer to be more methodical, though it does make me happy that others were able to pick up on the thought and care that goes into each. I also agree with your assessment of the other match. Though I do hope i can positively surpise not only you but everyone. 

it's high noon

2 years ago
Lol, I didn't even write the thing I originally wanted to write. It should've been a battle between a necromancer determined to end all life and a high priestess desperate to save the only city still standing. They had been childhood friends that fell in love until fate tore them apart. The necromancer wins at the cost of her life. The setting was high fantasy, based on ancient Egypt. I couldn't figure out how to make that fit in 2,500 words, so I just pulled something out of my ass. It still needs to be edited at least two more times before I'd consider it okay. I'm kind of in the same boat right now.

it's high noon

2 years ago

In other words, you adapted to a situation quickly and ending up winning? Similarly to now? Good to know my initial assumption wasn't too far off. 

it's high noon

2 years ago
If it's legal I'll fight the champion of the bracket. This is the battle of the losers after all.

it's high noon

2 years ago

Lol

it's high noon

2 years ago
If the losers of the first round are up for it, I suppose you all can have a three way battle in the gutter. We can't be lowering the difficulty for the actual champion though.

it's high noon

2 years ago
What if I beat the two losers? Then could I fight the champion in a wild card match?

it's high noon

2 years ago
“What if”

it's high noon

2 years ago

go away fatty 

it's high noon

2 years ago

If I bet and get the exact order correct, do I just get a return on my investment? Or is there a different way the betting system works?

it's high noon

2 years ago
I am not at this time tracking bets from the peanut gallery, you guys will have to find another mod.

it's high noon

2 years ago
Oh crap is there gambling involved here

Count me the fuck in, I’ve got my points ready.

If Mizal doesn’t want to do it, I suppose some other fun loving admin would.

it's high noon

2 years ago
Fuck picking the other places, 25 points on T-man to take it all

3:1 odds as there are four people competing?

it's high noon

2 years ago
Alright then, 25 for Lux then.

@Lux_Inferni

You better not let me down.

it's high noon

2 years ago
Lol, no promises, but I'm going to do my best. I'll give you 25 of my points if I lose. Edit: Offer only applies to PerforatedPenguin.

it's high noon

2 years ago
nice catch.

it's high noon

2 years ago

It would be cool if you could do your stalkerish insightful analysis on all the participants again, just like in the noob contest (and probably change the odds). But there might need to be some measures to stop everyone from changing their bets in light of new information.

it's high noon

2 years ago
It would be less fun this time to do.

Lux already has written on the site in a similar situation here, https://chooseyourstory.com/forums/creative-corner/message/28605#867817. Let it be known he had the inferior paragraph length and the whole voting system was rigged from the start. Nothing personal Lux, but I just need to shatter your confidence a bit to back my man.

T-Man wrote his epic on this site too, https://chooseyourstory.com/forums/creative-corner/message/28686#868922. My man got a lot of feedback out of it and it seemed really interesting and good and capable of winning the entire thing.

Voldy comes from cog and nothing good comes from that. I guess you could look at https://chooseyourstory.com/story/blood~20~26~20gold to get a sense of his writing.

Bonfaggle shoves frogs up his ass and has made three WIP's on this site as well. None of them are really interesting, but you could look at this one, https://chooseyourstory.com/story/life's~20a~20game to get a sense of his prose.

Overall there doesn't need to be a writeup as they all have excerpts readily available. Any further analysis and conclusions from my part will only help the gambling competition.

it's high noon

2 years ago

My main WIP is privated bc I don't want y'all going through it before I'm done. The current WIPs are not good examples of my prose.

it's high noon

2 years ago
Why are you cucking your own image so hard that the one thing you are proud of is put away in a corner while the shit ones have a full-blown orgy in broad sight

it's high noon

2 years ago
Understandable, but I don't have any confidence to shatter.

it's high noon

2 years ago

That means you don't lose anything either way! If you lose, no confidence will be shattered. If you win, you will gain confidence instead.

it's high noon

2 years ago
I also won't be disappointed when I lose. (I hope it's not too late for me to bet 10 points on T-man winning against me...)

it's high noon

2 years ago

I hope you're not forgetting your current deal with Peng? The way it seems right now is that if you lose, you'll give him 25 points (while winning 10 back), but if you win, you still lose 10 points. That... isn't the most strategic.

(Using 'when' makes it seem like you're planning to lose. Are you? Or perhaps you will bet against yourself and submit an incoherent piece to guarantee that you'll win some points from the bet, but if that's the case, you should be betting a lot more than 10 points).

it's high noon

2 years ago
I haven't forgotten, and I'm not planning on losing. I don't think mine is an incoherent mess (at least I hope it isn't), but I really hate it and I took a handful of risks that I'm not confident with. After the votes are counted, I'm going to take what feedback I can get then delete that abomination. Honestly, I think my own writing has given me brain damage.

it's high noon

2 years ago
Hey~

How’s that bet now?

it's high noon

2 years ago
Just saw this. I'd play, but I'm doing NaNoWriMo. Good luck, fellow alphabet person!

it's high noon

2 years ago
That's awesome, where can we go to help you monitor your word count?

it's high noon

2 years ago
https://nanowrimo.org/participants/writerlymorgan

So kind of you to want to cheer me on! ^_~

it's high noon

2 years ago
Good luck with NaNoWriMo.

it's high noon

2 years ago
Thanks! I think I might actually have a shot at "winning," although I suspect very little of what I've written will make it into the final draft.

it's high noon

2 years ago

Thanks! I think I might actually have a shot at "winning," although I suspect very little of what I've written will make it into the final draft.

it's high noon

2 years ago
Yes, I did just say that! How observant of you!

it's high noon

2 years ago

Yes, I did just say that! How observant of you!

it's high noon

2 years ago
I imagine my line is supposed to be "stop copying me," but hey, you do you.

it's high noon

2 years ago

I imagine my line is supposed to be "stop copying me," but hey, you do you.

it's high noon

2 years ago
NaNoWriMo community is such a funny place, last time I was there there were people, like multiple people who were having honest to God mental breakdowns over the site design being changed, just vomiting all their emotionally unhinged anxiety and hysteria onto the hapless forum mods who were volunteers and obviously had no control over anything.

I can't decide if that's better or worse than just a normal forum people get together on once a year to do more talking about writing than actually writing. Definitely far more entertaining, but strangely left me with no desire to ever go back.

It's a nice idea when it does manage to actually push people to write though.

it's high noon

2 years ago
Less than three hours remain for the last entrant.

it's high noon

2 years ago
Oh right, this contest thing.

I worked late and then had a busy evening avoiding family. I'll do this after a big sleep.

it's high noon

2 years ago

I drew some penguins

it's high noon

2 years ago

So far a perfect bracket. 

Great job to all of the contestants. This has been enjoyable on a number of levels, and the authors should be proud of themselves  for turning in any stories. Keep up the fire and great work guys!

it's high noon

2 years ago

Dammit, my money! I lost 200 points! I would've bet more on Lux if I knew he even had a duel. I should've cheated again using foul sorceries. Ah well, double or nothin', to recoup my losses. I'm betting 200 points on TMan to win 3rd and 50 that Lux takes it all.

it's high noon

2 years ago

What's interesting is the two CoG refugees are fighting each other for the championship.

All I can say is Tman really better hope he beats Bondo because the SHAME of losing to someone who was at CoG AND Bondo might almost be too much to bear.