Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Crypto comes to CYS! (Hilarity ensues)

2 years ago

So awhile back someone by the name collectibleexchange sent me a PM.

Now I get these sorts of "contract offers" from time to time and without fail, they ALWAYS sound like a big scam or at best, some fucktard that has grand ideas but isn't going to realistically get them off the ground.

Given that this is coming at me with crypto right out the gate, I'm figuring scam.

Anyway not wishing to be bothered with this anymore, I was about to send him on his way, but I figured I'd still be helpful.

And that was about the last I thought of it.

That is until the recent MeltdownPenguins incident over NFT which was brought to my attention. So I went over to scan the CoG forums and in addition to that hilarity, I found this gem!

HOLY SHIT, this went even better than I planned!

Link!

There's the link, but of course I'll do the highlights if you can't be bothered (and who could blame you)

So naturally there's some suspicion, well A LOT of suspicion. There's a few brief posts being interested, but most question CE which goes on a bit:

Seeing that the tide is turning on CE, he decides to retreat. (Said he managed to recruit someone from there, but who knows)

And that would have been the end of it most likely, but NFTs and crypto...well that's just too much for Meltdown to keep quiet about.

This is what probably set her off again on the NFT/Crypto topic which ultimately got her banned from CoG. (Hence why I'm taking credit since I sent CE over there in the first place.)

As for CE here? Well he hasn't been around since I sent him away.

Thanks for the lols!

2 years ago

Well, this was most certainly enjoyable... But after reading all of that twice, I still cannot figure out for the life of me what the hell the scam was or what the hell the guy wanted their writer to write. All I managed to gather was the story must:

• Have words
  • Have an ending
  • Japan!

2 years ago
What would the point of using blockchain for an IF game be? I see no practical reason for it. What does it mean when he says he wants to bring CYOA to the "crypto space"? He is just saying words he heard.

2 years ago
It's a meaningless buzz phrase from people who know crypto is suddenly popular with normies who don't know anything about what it is or how it works.

Lack of business site with contact info or any concrete info up front is a red flag for sure.

2 years ago

Assuming this is a scam, what could the scammer possibly gain from this?  It seems like all they would gain is a copy of someone's writing, which 1) There is no guarantee the writing is actually decent, and 2) the writer could easily prove it's their writing and not the scammer's.  Is it just a roundabout way of getting credit card information?

2 years ago

Besides easing into gathering card info, they might also be pulling the whole "send us so much money and you'll get it back and more when we publish!" Type deal.

2 years ago
The bitcoins are in a bank in Nigeria.

2 years ago

I hope they publish a thrilling conclusion or someone posts how they got scammed by this. I don't see how someone could even attempt to fall for this. It makes zero sense.