Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Hello and a question

one year ago

Hi! I'm fresh_out_the_oven, though Fresh or Freshie (I'm used to that one, being called that a lot in school) are more convenient if you ever feel the need to directly reference me. 

My only question is, what are some basic rules to follow to not be annoying on this site? I just made this account today and was going to try and make a name for myself in ratings and actually get a story out there before attempting to join in forum chatter, but I'm really very bad at finishing things I start, so the story game is going to take a long time. Also, I've rated a couple of games, so I'm trying to be a productive member of society. In a past life I got a message from mizal congratulating me on not being a waste of space, but then I instantly went to forums as a faggy sixth grader, immediately disapproving her on that point (sorry)

I *will* get that story out eventually, though I might do a contest entry before this one gets published. 
At any rate, I promise to publish something within a year of posting this. Otherwise consider me shamed...again.

Advice to not only avoid being banned, but maybe even become a member of society?

Hello and a question

one year ago
Somehow I feel that by feeling the need to even ask that question that you either clearly know the answer to it and are trolling; or you not only don't know the answer, you'll never know the answer, even when it's clearly explained to you with twenty seven eight-by-ten color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was.

Hello and a question

one year ago

Not trying to troll, no. It's just that all I get is "don't be a fag" but that seems engraved in my nature. Attempts at not being a fag and genuinely asking for help usually end up just like this- being asked if I'm a troll and such. Which is why I asked, actually.

Because I very clearly cannot figure it out myself.

I bow to the superiority of those like you, to whom this comes easily. I am trying.

Hello and a question

one year ago
Ok, I'll bite:

Be a normal person. Read. Write reviews. Don't ask questions in the forums without at least taking a glance at the forum topics to see if the question has already been asked.

And don't be a fag.

Hello and a question

one year ago
Oh boy. In a day or two when I'm less busy I'm gonna look forward through combing through my inbox trying to figure out who you are.

12 year olds typically get banned because they wander around the forum creating new threads and bumping very old ones with a bunch on low effort drivel. So just, don't do that. Have something of interest or value to say, or just don't say anything and stick to the storygame side of the site.

If you're unsure, just try a writing related topic, or talking about something you've read/ watched/ played recently that you have thoughts on.

Although to tell the truth a lot of the more active people are on Discord now so there's probably more leniency to anyone attempting chest compressions on the forum.

Hello and a question

one year ago

Oh boy. In a day or two when I'm less busy I'm gonna look forward through combing through my inbox trying to figure out who you are. 

Please don't

Hello and a question

one year ago

Well after a quick IP search...

Unique Names: AstroInMyAssTho, fresh_out_the_oven

Lol

Hello and a question

one year ago
lol

To be fair, Malk was once a FurryButtSex, and look at him now!

Hello and a question

one year ago

This is the first time you've ever replied to something I've said.

Also, yes I looked up a username straight off the web, I've run out of ideas. I come back about once a year. Only got banned the once, but don't remember the username or anything to the other account. 

AstroInMyAssTho would've been funnier

Hello and a question

one year ago

I'm sure this is the greatest day of your life.

In any case, just do what some of the other people advised in this thread and you should be fine. It's really not that hard given that Ace is still around.

Hello and a question

one year ago
Ahahahaha

Welcome back lol. (Don't worry, your secret is safe-ish with me.)

Hello and a question

one year ago
When in doubt... Just don't. If you're not sure if you're being a fag, don't risk it.

The safest way is to just use the site as it is meant to be used (reading stories) and then maybe going a little bit above that (leaving a good review or two). That'll get you noticed by the "active members" and then you can join a competition or something.

Focusing on "making a name for yourself" is a bad start already, imo.

Hello and a question

one year ago
You rated a lot of games with the old account, so I gave you some points for what seemed roughly around the right amount.

Hello and a question

one year ago

Ah! Thank you!

Hello and a question

one year ago

God damn it! You made me lose a 5 point duel. I had 2:1 odds until you transferred him those points. Sure, I already lost a duel to him with those odds, but I was guaranteed to win the second time!

Hello and a question

one year ago

Not guaranteed! And who knows, I may not have played you with those odds... I HAVE read Avery's article on how to win duels, you know

Hello and a question

one year ago
Can you link that article? I am quite curious.

Hello and a question

one year ago

I looked, but my search doesn't work (is that a thing for everyone or am I doing something wrong?) and the article is really old, not to mention I'm not sure what section of the forums it was under. I read it in my first account a few years ago, so I don't really remember what it's called.

Hello and a question

one year ago

The article doesn’t exist, Celicni. 

Hello and a question

one year ago
Those forum articles can be slippery like that.

Hello and a question

one year ago

It's not really an article, I must have used the wrong term. I should've been more clear, I forgot that "article" meant something different here.

It was a THREAD she put a lot of effort into.

It said not to duel people with more than 50 points and what they usually choose first and a lot of what beats what.

Sorry for confusion. Not trying to be a liar I just don't know what I'm doing XD

Hello and a question

one year ago

The article in question (close your eyes Celicni):

https://chooseyourstory.com/forums/the-lounge/message/25278

I usually only duel noobs who say they want to duel in their profile.

Hello and a question

one year ago
I thank you very much for that. You really are helpful.

That said, Avery actually explained it to me in a PM, so I already knew about it, and have used it to good effect. I didn't want to do it too much though, I'd feel bad taking the trophy from her, but if she's alright with it... Noobs beware!