Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

Tribal Survival - Interest/Sign Up Thread

one year ago
I've gotten fairly far in designing a new forum game after binging many hours (days) of Rimworld over the last few weeks. It's not 100% done, but I figured I should post whats ready so far to gauge if I should bother finishing it and/or get feedback on changes I should make now rather than later. I'm thinking at most 8 people could participate and for now I'd aim for it be about a couple months long. Intro post + Explanation posts to follow.

one year ago
Participants Post:

fresh_out_the_oven
PerforatedPenguin
Petros
Yummyfood
WizzyCat

one year ago
Commended by TharaApples on 12/5/2022 8:40:31 PM
Prologue:

They came without warning. In the middle of the day, in the center of the marketplace, five metal rocks the size of elephants fell from the sky. The initial carnage was devastating, with many vendor stands destroyed, and several people crushed. Before there was time to even mourn the dead, the high priest quickly declared this was a gift from the gods, and that an acceptance ceremony would be held immediately in place. Standing in the wreckage, mere feet from dismembered friends and family, the village obediently gathered and prayed.

It was no gift.

No sooner did the village gather did the metal rocks burst open, revealing the men of iron inside. They exited their vessels, unfolding slowly and inhumanely, until they stood at least three times the size of a normal man. Some had large swords in place of limbs, others had large arms with holes in place of hands. The village stood in awe and stunned collective silence as red lights were produced by the eyes of the men of iron, enveloping the area.

The high priest collected themself, and addressed them directly, explaining our reverence. Another, some foolish man you had never met, had the audacity to touch one of the legs of the iron men. The bathe of the red light on the villagers was soon replaced with that of blood. The man who first dared touch them was cleanly sliced in half, with speed you had never seen. His torso and stunned eyes flew through the crowd, and barely had time to land before their destruction was targeted at the rest of the village. The handless men of iron somehow produced large flames, torching your home to ash. The ones with swords for arms rushed through the crowds, slicing them regardless of age or sex.

Some tried to fight, but your bows and spears seemed unable to even slow them down, let alone damage them. Everyone who fought was mercilessly killed. You, and most others, wisely choose to flee. You grabbed what you could and headed East, to the untamed lands of the wandering clans. Later, you heard rumors that a group had somehow managed to injure one of the men of iron, but such rumors seemed impossible.

This was two months ago. You’ve since encountered many hardships, and found four other members of the old village to join you along the way, but you no longer have land to walk to. To the East now lies nothing but water as far as your eyes can see. While following the shoreline you encountered several other groups from your former village; although you no longer feel much kinship with them.

As a stroke of good fortune, long since overdue, along the shoreline you found some sort of ancient, yet technologically advanced device on a stone slab. Through strange static sounds, a voice could be heard from the device. After some fumbling, you finally managed to communicate back with the one on the other side. They called themselves “Icarus”, and claimed to be an interstellar trader. None of you knew what that meant, but after explaining that you had upset the gods and that the men of iron had destroyed your village, Icarus offered to help.

He claimed that he had planned to pass by your planet anyway, and so in one months time he could arrive to rescue you. You had no way of truly trusting this voice, nor did you have any idea how he planned to rescue you, but with no other options the group graciously accepted his goodwill.

Shortly after communicating this, Icarus explained that due to the radiation and unpredictability of space, further communication would be hard to manage. He expressed that he’d be able to contact you about once per week until arriving, to let you know of his status. With that, the voice was abruptly snuffed out, and only static remained.

You and the other groups of villagers were then left to determine what to do next. The untamed lands of the wandering clans are unforgiving, with sparse resources, dangerous wildlife, and native to wandering humans who are not to be trusted. To survive a month here may not even be possible, but with little alternatives you resolve to try.

You’ve agreed to meet in front of this relic device daily with the heads of the other groups of villagers, to discuss the happenings of your people, and await word from Icarus. Beyond that, you’ve all gone your separate ways. Each group has found a place to make camp on their own; its location unknown to the others. If you’re to survive this land, you’ll need to use your wits, the skills of your villagers, and any resources you can find. Even then, with dangers all around you, hope of survival is tenuous at best.

one year ago
What is this?

Tribal Survival is going to be a Rimworld inspired survival game where you try to keep your people alive longer enough to escape to somewhere more hospitable. Each day will be considered a “turn”, and you’ll tell me what action each of your villagers is going to perform for that day. This action can technically be anything, and you can get creative with what you want to do, but as examples you could: Explore an area of the map, forage for food, create a weapon, gather resources (depending on what you can find on the map). You can choose to split up your villagers or have them work together. Splitting them up will allow you to be more efficient (two villagers foraging for food on two different tiles will do so faster than foraging on the same one), but random events will occur often, and a villager left alone can have any number of things happen to them, and you would be none the wiser.

In addition, as a “free action”, one villager (the head) can be considered to be at the meeting grounds where the relic is, so you can freely chat in the game thread. You can use this time to share information you learn, agree to trade resources, or plot against others. You can send more people, but that will act as their action for your turn.

Each villager will have a set of stats, which will determine how competent they are at a given task. You will be allowed to either randomize their stats, or allocate them manually. The benefit to randomizing is the cap is much higher, so you could potentially get an amazing villager, rather than a guaranteed average one. You could also get a bumbling idiot if the rolls go poorly. For the sake of fairness, you can choose to randomize them one at a time, so if you randomize two people that both suck, and you don’t want to risk it further, you can simply manually allocate the skills of the last three.

They will also have zero to two traits, which can be good or bad. The only trait you can assign to villagers is the “boring” trait, which does nothing and prevents other traits. You cannot decide traits beyond that; they will be entirely randomized. Traits will all be randomized at the beginning, so you will know who has what traits before you assign skills to them. I’ll provide a list of traits before we start (but I won’t tell you exactly what they do), so you can decide if you want to risk them or if you just want everyone to be boring.

one year ago
How do stats work?

Stats are used against skill checks to determine success. Each skill can have a value of 1 to 5, with 1 being incompetant, and 5 being master level. Functionally, You can consider each value to equal 20% efficiency, so someone with a 3 out of 5 can be considered 60% efficient at that task. Whenever you attempt to complete a task, a roll from 0 to whatever you efficiency is, is rolled.

Skill checks have a value from 0 to 5. A value of 0 means there is no “check”, and your efficiency roll is directly used to determine the level of success. An example of this is foraging. You cannot “fail” to forage, but you can forage very poorly, so while there is no check for success, if you roll a 1 in efficiency, you aren’t coming back with much.

If the skill check is between 1 and 5, that means a counter roll will be done. You have to roll higher than this roll to succeed. So a skill check with a value of 2 will roll from 1 to 40. In your efficiency roll, you then have to beat that roll. This means that technically, even if you only have a 1 in a skill, and you are doing something requiring a level 5 skill check, you can still succeed, so long as they roll below what you roll. For example if I wanted to try to craft a trap, with a skill check of 4, and my skill is two, I can succeed if the following happens:

Skill 2 = 1d40 = 36
Skill check 4 = 1d80 = 28

As my skill roll beat the skill check roll, I succeed. However 36 is still pretty low, so while it's a success the trap might turn out to be kind of shit.

There is a 5% critical success chance for each skill check attempted. This is a separate roll from the skill checks themselves. If you get the 5% chance, then your base efficiency gets 100 added to it.

There is no critical failure. You can fail a task that you normally would have succeeded in due to a random event causing the failure however.

Importantly, if your skill level is 4 or higher, you have a minimal amount that it gets rounded up to. For 4 your minimum roll is 20, and for 5 your minimum roll is 40. This means if your skill level in something is 4, you will always succeed in anything that has a skill check of 1. A skill level of 5 means you will always succeed in skill checks of 1 or 2. So for example, a skill level of 5 that is against an action requiring a skill check of 1 could look like this:

Skill 5 = 1d100 = 15, rounded up to 40
Skill check 1 = 1d20 = 18

one year ago
--------Random Events
Random events will occur every turn. There are local random effects, and global random effects. Local will only affect your group, or someone in your group, while global will typically affect multiple groups (or everyone). You will not always see the effect of a random event, either because it will not be told to you right away, or because the effect can sometimes simply be nothing happening.

Events can be anything from animals wandering into your area, to someone failing a task, to a helpful item being found, to enemies suddenly showing up in your camp. Just like Rimworld, events can be very unfair and may result in people dying. They may also result in saving you, or having new allies show up. There are many ways to play, so don’t feel too discouraged if things go south. While everyone surviving would be the best win possible, managing to get anyone to safety given the circumstances can be considered an accomplishment.

--------How to play?
That was a long introduction, but gameplay wise it will be pretty straight forward on your end. First we’ll do our villager creation. Then once we start, we’ll have the game thread, where you can talk and plot with one another. Each “turn” will involve you giving me the actions of each of your villagers. So the minimum would be along the lines of:

Villager 1 forages for food at A1
Villager 2 explores A4
Villager 3 explores A4
Villager 4 forages for food at A1
Villager 5 builds traps around the camp.

You’ll be able to (and I’d encourage you) to name your villagers during their character creation. I would then give you a reply which looks something like:

Villager 1 found 16 units of food at A1.
Villager 2 explored A4.
Villager 3 explored A4.
A4 is now explored.
Villager 4 found 22 units of food at A1.
Villager 5 built 4 traps around the camp. You now have 9 traps hidden around the camp.
A group of 3 horses were seen wandering into B2.
A very loud siren was heard by everyone while out doing tasks.

Independent of these turns you’re free to communicate with each other via pms or other means. The only rule is any actual action goes through me, and requires an actual action. So if you agree to trade with another player, one of you has to send a villager to actually exchange the goods. Which leads me into another part of this.

one year ago
--------Imperfect Information
You will only be aware of what happens to your villagers once they return to the village. If something happens to them while they are out, and they are alone, you may get something as vague as “Villager 4 did not return from foraging at A3”. This is why you may want to have villagers perform tasks with one another. There’s a big difference in hearing they simply didn’t return home, versus “Villager 1 saw that villager 4 was kidnapped while foraging”, versus “Villager 4 was attacked by a wolf while foraging. Villager 1 managed to help them back to the camp”.

This of course means if you send a villager to trade with another player, they may decide to simply murder them, and take the items they brought, then claim they never saw the villager. It could also be entirely possible they were telling the truth, as maybe the villager got attacked when they were alone on the way there. You would have no way of knowing if they were truthful unless you investigate yourself afterward.

--------Combat
Combat will occur in this game. Players will not have much input as to how combat will occur, beyond arming their villagers ahead of time, and determining where/when to fight (if they are initiating it). The actual combat will be simulated by me, with the results shared to those who participated. Like I said before, you only hear about what occurs once they return, if they manage to do so. As such you may want to give your villagers rules about fighting before they head out.

Injured villagers will be less efficient at best, and depending on the circumstances, may be kidnapped and held for ransom/enslaved/cut up for parts if they are unable to escape. Or they may just straight up be killed.

--------Skills
The following is the list of skills your villagers will have
Melee - Combat ability in melee. Used to determine melee damage, melee hit chance, dodge chance, and parry chance.
Hunting - Ability to hunt prey. Used to determine ranged accuracy, tracking, and stealth.
Scouting - Ability to survey areas. Used to determine survey ability, chance to find unique resources, and chance to find relics.
Foraging - Ability to forage for food/cut trees. Also used to identify plants if required.
Crafting - Ability to create things. Used for crafting basic weapons/tools/defences.
Intelligence - Ability to reason. Used to utilise relics, to negotiate with NPCs, and solve medical issues.

one year ago
Resource Management

One of the main driving factors when sending out your villagers will be resource management. What you need to prioritise will vary depending on the situation, but the main resource you will need a supply of is food. This is because your villagers only have one constant need to manage: food.

Food - Each village requires 10 units of food a day to perform at normal efficiency. If you reduce the food they receive, the villager will suffer a penalty. It is a 10% penalty per unit of food. Note this a flat penalty, so if they have a skill of 3 out of 5 in something, and they have a 10% penalty, they have 50% efficiency in that skill, instead of the normal 60%. Each additional unit of food increases their efficiency by 5%, so in the previous example with 1 additional unit of food they would have 65% efficiency with the skill. By default they always take 10 units of food, and you don’t need to actually specify this unless you want to ration.

Starvation - Naturally, not eating enough food results in starvation. The 10 units of food consumed a day are used for energy that would otherwise be taken from your villager’s nutrition pool. Receiving less food than required eats into your nutrition pool. Reaching a nutrition stat of -15 will result in the villager dying. Villagers start at 10 nutrition. Anything under -5 will result in a chance to die (10% at -6 rising to 100% when -15 is reached). Villagers that go below 0 nutrition gain the malnourished trait, which incurs a massive -1 to all stats penalty, even if they eat enough.

You cannot gain nutrition by eating more, but relics/special resources may exist that can help.

You will start with some days of food, then the rest you will need to forage/hunt/trade/steal for.

There is no morality to worry about, or your villager’s mental well being. All of your villagers are mostly willing to do whatever you say they need to do in order to make it through the month. As long as you aren’t doing things to them specifically they’ll be complacent.

Other items in the game will exist, but they will mainly serve to help in combat/be used for crafting.

one year ago
------The Map
Each player will have access to a section of the larger map in play. Your map will show all of the squares you have passed and the information you have concerning them. Map sections that are unknown will be black until you explore that section yourself or learn about it from someone else. Each time you survey a part of the map that is black, you have a chance to find a resource that may be useful (such as wild animals, or an abandoned campsite). Each time you search a section of the map (regardless of if it has been explored yet or not), you’ll have a small chance of finding a relic device. Surveying a new part of the map counts as searching an area, but specifically searching an area for a relic increases the odds of finding one by a lot (but otherwise accomplishes nothing).

------Relics
Relics are ancient pieces of technology, in various states of usefulness. As this is a Rimwold-like setting, they could be anything from an iron sword, to a pistol, to a bomb, to a motorbike, to a robot, to medincine that can regrow limbs, to a radar and more. Finding a useful relic could be the edge that wins you the game, or you could find nothing but useless junk. Relics have to be analysed by someone using their intelligence skill in order to determine how they work. Analysing requires an action from a villager, so be prepared for them to be pulled away from other tasks.

------Gameplay Loop
Each game day will start with me updating the game thread with the start of the new day, along with any public information that everyone should hear. The day will end once everyone has sent me their actions for their villagers that day. I’ll be providing examples of basic actions you can have villagers perform, but the skills mentioned before are just the base ones. Complicated actions may involve me determining an average efficiency depending on the skills involved and rolling that. You’re free to be creative and have your villagers perform other tasks. Just keep in mind their level of technology is very low, and you only have a month. Don’t be expecting to create or invent anything too crazy beyond what you start with.

RPing your character/clan in the game thread won’t result in any direct benefits, but I may decide to fudge some numbers to help you out for participating during critical moments (but you’ll be none the wiser if I actually do or not).

------How to win?
The “best” ending here is of course everyone escaping this hostile area at the end of the (in-game) month and moving on to brave new lands. As a minimum, you should consider your head villager escaping to be a win, but I’d aim to get all your people out.

one year ago
And that was even more posts than I figured I would need but yeah, that's the game so far. Let me know if you've got questions/are interested in playing.

one year ago

So every player runs their own group right? If so, will we be seeing the status of everyone else through the forum?

one year ago
Everyone runs their own group yeah.

You'll only have access to your own group's info. People can choose to tell you what's going on with their members, but I won't be posting the status of groups in the thread, that'd be via PMs.

one year ago

Ok so what will be put in the forums?

one year ago
By me? Events that apply to everyone, and posts to indicate a turn is finished and its a new day. Otherwise the forum game thread would mostly be for people to talk/plan/share information.

one year ago

Cool, sounds fun. I'm totally in

one year ago
Is a loss only when all the villagers in a group die, or when the head villager dies, or are there other conditions?

one year ago
As it stands you're represented by the head villager, but functionally they're no different from anyone else. You don't technically "lose" when you die, as your group can elect a new head. You only lose if everyone in your group dies. That said personally I'd consider getting the guy representing me to safety a larger win than the other villagers lol.

You'll get the chance to name your villagers whatever you want as well, so keep that in mind.

one year ago
Funky. I'm interested, sign me up.

one year ago
Thanks Killa, now we don't need to hire a babysitter.

one year ago
Don't get too excited yet. If I don't get enough people to start this they go right back to you lol.

one year ago

Oh no, I already planned their names and everything

one year ago
Imagine planning to be emotionally attached to your underlings

one year ago

It so much more fun to torture someone when they have their own hopes and dreams and personalities rather than a brick wall

All of their names mean variations of the word "sorrow"

Edit: that came out darker than intended

one year ago
Yep, this convinced me. I’m in

one year ago

same.

one year ago

I love this place so much lmao

one year ago

On CYS, we're completely inclusive if someone is darker than intended!

I'm in

one year ago
We've gotten 5 which is the minimum I was going for, so this will go ahead. I'll give sign up another few days to see if anyone else is interested. Once that is done we'll generate your villagers, I'll share how we'll keep track of them, and then we'll start the game.

one year ago

Yay!!! : )

one year ago
My nameless cronies will be completely randomized.

I have faith in the gamble.

one year ago
Alright, we'll start with our villager generation now. I think I'll aim to start the actual game Monday. I'll send PMs out to everyone involved for their actions. To generate the villagers the order will be:
1) Tell me if you want any villagers to be "Boring" (they get no traits)
2) I'll then generate the traits of everyone left
3) You then decide if you want to specifically assign stat points or randomize
4) I'll randomize the stats for the remaining villagers
You can name them at any time (but I'd suggest waiting so you can make yourself the most OP guy you get).

For reference, here is the list of traits that can be randomized. They can get 0-2 traits. I'll tell you what they mean after we randomize, but it should be fairly straight forward the number of good traits vs bad.
Lucky
Unlucky
Brawler
Genius
Hunter
Always Hungry
Low Maintenance
Green Thumb
Seasoned Trader
Chubby
Weak
Scout
Alert
Village Idiot
Archeologist
Animal Whisperer
Witch Doctor
Tough
Fast
Wimp
Night Owl

one year ago
Should be interesting to see how this goes. I've actually pitched an idea for a village sim to a group before, although that one was about building upgrades and expansions to attract heroes to take on the threats of a nearby forest. But ultimately I decided it would be too complicated and time consuming to manage for the forum.

Well anyway, good luck everyone! And to Killa in particula

one year ago
Yeah, forums are tough for big things. At a minimum you typically need to hold the info off site. That idea does sound cool though, and unlike some past ones you should be able to rope in the grandness of scale to keep it manageable (assuming you automate those calculations).

one year ago
So we almost have everyone set up.

@WizzyCat is the last person we're waiting for. Wasn't planning on actually starting until tomorrow afternoon anyway, so they got some time still.

Tonight I'll update this thread with a few balance changes and explain a few of the other mechanics (I've said basically nothing about crafting for example). Tomorrow I'll start up the game thread and message everyone their google drive links. The drive folder will contain your map + villager stats + resources. I won't ask for your emails, I'll just make the folder available to anyone with the link (which I will only PM to you), so unless you want other people to know your villager info, you should keep said link to yourself.

one year ago
Minor adjustments:
- Crits now give a flat +100 bonus [Doubling was underwhelming at lower levels]
- Having villagers perform actions together no longer gives penalty [Ultimately this was a layer of strategy I felt didn't add enough for how much work it'd be to track]

----Crafting
You can, as a day or night action, attempt to craft items. In order to craft you need to have materials required, and you need to succeed in the craft roll. Depending on the item type you success or failure will determine the number of items crafted, or if it gets crafted at all. If you want to craft something, let me know what it is and I'll determine if you can/the cost as we go.

----Night Actions
Night actions are actions that you can perform at night, instead of the daytime. They're typically limited to things you could do inside the village, such as crafting, healing injuries, or being on lookout. In general you don't actually want to perform night actions, as they lead to your villager becoming tired, which is a flat -10% efficiency for the next day. Depending on the circumstances they may be required/worthwhile. If you're curious if something can be done as a night action, ask and I'll let you know.

A night action is resolved after the normal actions of the day. You can consider a normal day to go as follows:

Day begins
Turns are collected
Turns are completed
Night actions are completed
New Day begins

If you're wanting to perform night actions, you should let me know before the next (in-game) day begins. You can declare them before or after your turns for the day are done.

----Doctoring
When people are injured, you need someone to perform a doctoring action against them to heal the injury. They can heal multiple injuries at once depending on how well they roll. If performed as a day action, the doctor cannot do anything else, but the person being doctored can. Keep in mind they perform as if they were injured during the day regardless of the outcome of the doctoring action.

Injuries for body parts with above 40 health can be doctored without medicine. 40 health and below requires medicine to fix. Medicine can be found or crafted with medicinal herbs + cloth.

---Injuries
The effects of injuries depend on where you receive them. Villagers have 6 injury locations: Head, Torso, Left Arm, Right Arm, Left Leg, Right leg. If your body part gets below 40 health it becomes unusable. For arms and legs that just makes life a bit more difficult, but if your head/torso get below 40 then your villager is considered "Maimed" and cannot perform any actions until healed. If an injury location reacts 0 its considered destroyed. For obvious reasons, a destroyed head or torso means they're dead.

I won't deal with blood loss or anything like that in this game. If your villager is legless, armless and unconscious due to head injuries, they are still alive and a burden on your village.

one year ago

If your villager is legless, armless and unconscious due to head injuries, they are still alive and a burden on your village.

Is there some kind of consequence for killing of a useless burdensome dismembered member of the tribe?

Besides not having them alive to help out (which they probably couldn't do anyway) and needing to find a way to discard the maimed corpse, I mean.

Unrelated, is cannibalism a legal way of getting food...

one year ago

There is no morality to worry about, or your villager’s mental well being. All of your villagers are mostly willing to do whatever you say they need to do in order to make it through the month. As long as you aren’t doing things to them specifically they’ll be complacent.

We'll play most of it by ear, but in general as long as you can think of a reason it can be considered okay. Like, your tribe won't be cool will killing and eating a member if you've got days worth of food still, but if they're all starving then it becomes a lot more tempting. So yeah, you can perform cannibalism, sure.

one year ago
How many units of food is a tribe member worth?

one year ago

It may depend on if they're missing limbs. Or how big they are. I feel like it shouldn't be just even across the board

one year ago
Fair, I would be fine with a value for each limb/body part.

Not that I would need to use it, under my brilliant leadership they should all be fine.

one year ago

One of my villagers may or may not end up getting sacrificed to the great space man so...yeah.

one year ago

Better yours than mine

one year ago

Ooh great idea! I'll just kidnap someone else's villager!

one year ago

...wait no

Though kidnapping someone's villager is a neat idea. If one of yours goes missing, just know they might be getting brainwashed to join a (total random) other person's tribe. I might even be willing to leave a mostly maimed corpse of a useless member of my own society in return XD

one year ago

Value for each limb? Now we're really getting into the Rimworld mindset. I'm going to turn several of my villagers into vegetables via amputation: now they take less food AND I get to sell their organs on the black market!

one year ago

"Hey boss, these burgers are amazing! Where did you find the meat for them?"

"Uh..."

"Also, have you seen Steve anywhere lately?"

one year ago

Yo, PM me if you ever wanna sell a villager's limb I might buy it

Not sure what I'd give you in return but I'm sure there'll be something 

one year ago

Sounds like a deal, I might even throw in a kidney, just for you!

one year ago

The village is quiet. Finally, some peace of mind.

Almost as soon as these thoughts pass through my head, a shout comes from somewhere out in the woods. It sounds like one of my villagers but you can never be sure. They don't sound as though they're in immediate danger, anyway. 

Honestly I couldn't care less about most of these people. One of them is decidedly emo, always wearing black and speaking malevolently under his breath. I forget his name still sometimes, it starts with an S, or maybe a D. No, definitely a G. He must get hot wearing dark colors all of the time, but he seems to know what he's talking about when he does speak up. At least he might have a use sometime in the future.

There's another guy here who also slightly scares me. He's always up and about at the oddest hours, and he's got an imposing build. I don't think I've ever heard his name, but I'm sure it's equally odd yet intimidating.

Then there's Raca. Raca is the world's most annoying piece of shit. She never stops complaining. She complains about what we eat, she complains about having to get her nails dirty, she complains about the sun bleaching her hair. One of these days I might snap her frail little neck. I can almost feel its cracking in my hands... but no. She may prove useful yet, and I can't afford to lose villagers this early.

One month. Only one month, that's all I have to survive. At least there's one other semi normal human here. He's also really productive, which may be why I don't hate him as much as the others. Out of the five members in our "tribe", we end up doing the most manual labor. I get along with him well enough, given the circumstances. There's a lot of stress involved in dealing with metal destroyers that came from the sky, so everyone's bound to be on edge. Now that I'm thinking about it, he must be the one who's name starts with an S.

I have no doubt that I'll be able to bring these four safely through one month's time. Well, maybe just a little doubt...

So there y'all go. Feel free to try and discern whatever traits and skills my villagers may have from this, I don't mind if you know some of it. 

one year ago
Alright

@fresh_out_the_oven
@PerforatedPenguin
@Petros
@Yummyfood
@WizzyCat

Sent you your google drive info. Feel free to marvel at my artistic abilities with the map.

Will be making the game thread and sending out the call for turn PMs in a bit. I don't expect to actually run the next turn till like Wednesday.

one year ago
And sent.

In retrospect I probably should have postponed this till tomorrow, what with End's contest ending and it being Halloween, but oh well.

one year ago
No turn from @WizzyCat yet. I'll give them till tomorrow and if they dont put one in ill just have them skip the turn.

one year ago

Has @WizzyCat done his turn yet

one year ago
They did it early morning today yeah. I was giving them a bit of time to adjust it since they misunderstood some things, but its fine.

I'll go ahead with the next turn now.

one year ago
Some of you may have noticed your amount of food that you collected was not all that high, so I'll give some hints:
1) Currently your people are foraging with just their hands. More efficient tools exist
2) The coast (blue tiles) can be fished.
3) Animals that appear on the map give way more food than foraging, so if that event occurs for you jump on it
4) Food does run out in locations, as you may have already noticed.
5) Don't panic yet. I don't intend to let you die via starvation in the first week ^_^. Anything can happen in this game.

one year ago

Where are my prepackaged survival meals? this is a scam!

one year ago
You tribals get no such thing! You'll get barely two days worth of pemmican, all while thinking you have several days of food because how can like 400 pemmican only last a couple days?!

one year ago
So, initially I was going to do once every other day as to not burn anyone out. That said, it looks like most of you got your turns settled after a day, so I'll just change it to the day when I get everyone's turns, even if thats the next day. I'll be doing the next turn later tonight.

one year ago
And done the next turn. To save some time with PMs, I'll mention here that crafting is done with a minimum of 5 of a resource. So if you want to craft something, make sure you have 5 of that thing.

I'll also mention scouting is the stat used for finding materials, unless that material is medical herbs (as you very specifically have to forage for that).

(And note, 5 isn't a lot. If you attempt to find a material and you get less than 5, you either picked a bad terrain, sent someone who has bad scouting, or just got unlucky).

one year ago
Also another note that I'm not sure is obvious, but coastal tiles (blue) are still workable. They aren't entirely water.

one year ago
Only have 2 of 5 turns so far, so next turn will wait till i have at least 4 of 5.

one year ago
I'll do the next turn tomorrow. Normally I would have done the turn tonight even without wizzycat's turn, but I wanted to give people the chance to comment on if they would take their share of the food with them being absent (Fresh mentioned it but never actually said they would do it).

one year ago
I'll give people another few hours to hand in their turns and anyone missing at that point I think I'll just have their villagers all forage or something so they don't get too far behind.

one year ago

Starvation due to negligence is a pretty rough way to go

one year ago
Very rough... Frankly I'm kind of surprised people have been so lax finding food so far, even aside from that. Cannibalism may become a very real thing in another week or so (in-game) at this pace lol.

one year ago
@fresh_out_the_oven
@PerforatedPenguin
@Petros
@Yummyfood
@WizzyCat

As the game has been going for a bit and we're getting closer to combat occurring I figured I'd give you a heads up about the general "flow" of combat:

Ranged combat occurs until you're in melee ranged. This means if one person has a bow, and another a club, the bow will be able to shoot them until the club person is in melee range. You can carry both a ranged and melee weapon, but they'll get a free hit in on you as you switch weapons.

After this occurs both people are in melee combat. If multiple people are fighting, each will typically choose an opponent and fight them. If one side has more than another, multiple people can attack the same target.

Combat has three different "types". By default, most people will fight in "Skirmish" mode. This means they'll fight until they sustain enough of an injury that they give up and run away. Animals behaviour like this by default as well. Speed is a factor when attempting to run away.

The second type is "until they can't fight". This means if the enemy loses the ability to use both arms, both legs or torso/head, the combat is finished. If you're defending your camp, this will be the new default you fight to (as you can't exactly run from your limited resources). You can of course, over-rule this, as combat which starts in a base will give the person being attacked the chance to decide what to do next.

The third, which typically only applies to the victor, is "to the death". Basically, even if the other person can't fight, or gives up, you kill them anyway.

Keep in mind, even if its a skirmish, if one person is really strong, or gets a lucky crit, someone can end up dying anyway.

one year ago
We get bodies if we managed to, uh, take the life of someone from another tribe, right?

one year ago
I mean not unless you specify you want to take it back with you. Even if your people are cool will killing each other they aren't going to just take the entire body as some sort of trophy (that you totally won't consume of course)

one year ago

Of course

one year ago

Why would you kill them when you could kidnap them and demand a ransom

one year ago
FYI we've only got 3 of 5 turns, hence not doing a turn tonight. Hopefully we at least get a 4th tomorrow.

one year ago
Still only got 3 turns. I already know not to expect 1 of them, but the other i'll give them till tomorrow so im hopefully not playing as half the people in the game lol.

one year ago
Well, its been 4 days and only 2 turns are in, so I'll just turn off baby mode to accelerate things. From now on after two days I'll execute turns, and if a turn isn't in, your guys will simply do nothing (having you forage gets a bit cheaty as I can see how much is around to forage). Doing the next turn now.

Even if people don't last too long now, it should at least be an interesting next few turns.

one year ago
Busy this afternoon so will do the next update tomorrow.

one year ago
As you guys are currently very slowly debating the future, I'll give an extra day. Technically you have a few in-game days to decide (the shortcut is available for another couple days), but some people have said their turn is kind of reliant on the outcome, so things could change.