Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Cinematic zombie genre dying?

one year ago

Lately I feel like Hollywood has made nothing but stinkbombs, while elsewhere (looking at you South Korea) some excellent stories, characters, and unique zombie types are becoming more commonplace.

I just finished All of Us Are Dead on Netflix, highly reccomend.

Any other gems out there I might be missing out on?

one year ago

Dunno what type of zombies you're into, there's like a million different kinds now.

one year ago

My addiction began with Resident Evil (2002). After that I was hooked.

Some of my favorites are: 

Dawn of the Dead (2004),

Night of the Living Dead (1968),

28 Days Later (2002),

Train to Busan (2016),

The Girl with All the Gifts (2016),

Quarantine (2008),

Seol Station (2016),

#Alive (2020),

I Am a Hero (2015),

Fido (2006),

Zombieland (2009),

Scouts Guide to the Apocalypse (2015),

One Cut of the Dead (2017),

and Open Grave (2013).

one year ago

One Cut of the Dead was great but it's definitionally not a zombie movie 

one year ago

I seem to remember there being zombies in it

one year ago

Neither is 28 Days Later, but I think they both can get away with it. Kinda.

one year ago
Cinematic everything is dying, that first line applies to more than just zombies.

one year ago

We live in an era of constant reboots and live action remakes, am not really surprised by this trend.

one year ago

Don't forget the sequel addiction. Nothing can be made without either being connected to another universe/multiverse or become the start or part of a franchise.

I just want to watch a new standalone movie with no complications or continuations. Is that just too much to ask?

one year ago

Agreed.

one year ago

What was that asian one where it wasn't really a zombie movie but it was somewhere in Thailand or something and it gave a bunch of people an infectious brain-thing that made everybody act out their most vile and aggressive impulses, so the zombies were smart and fast and talking about raping people and shit

one year ago

That sounds like Mayhem (2017) and or Signal (2007). But neither one of those are in Thailand. =/

one year ago

Sounds almost like The Crazies too, but again not set in Thailand.

one year ago

Ah, I liked that one. Timothy Olyphant is great, his character reminds me of him in The Santa Clarita Diet. Trying to remain normal while everying around him is going to pot.

one year ago

Found it! The Sadness. Came out last year. Now who says the zombie genre is dead?

one year ago

Cool, I will check that one out, thanks!

one year ago

I finished watching The Sadness this week, and it was excellent. *thumbs up*

one year ago

Amazing profile picture

one year ago

Thanks!

one year ago

Well I'll suggest some of the old BOOMER shit, since you have mostly new stuff listed.

Dawn of the Dead (1978) I like the remake better though

Zombie (1979) Sort of slower paced and not a favorite, but has some gory bits and a zombie fighting a shark at one point. Italian made, so you might find it under the title "Zombi 2" (It's a long story)

City of the Walking Dead (1980) AKA Nightmare City. Technically not zombies since they're known as the "contaminated". The zombies range from looking almost human still with a few scars to their heads looking like moldy potatoes. It's one of those lower budget Italian movies.

I bring this one up since it's got some rather lively "zombies" in it that are running around shooting people with machine guns at one point. They tend to drink blood rather than eat the whole body though.

Burial Ground (1981) AKA Nights of Terror. Yep, another slower pace Italian one, but this one has some weird shit going on (I won't spoil it) independent of the zombies which are all properly rotten and moldy looking. Some gory bits.

Day of the Dead (1985) Sort of flawed, but it's got some good gory bits

Return of the Living Dead (1985) Usually the better known "First intelligent fast zombies movie" (If you don't count Nightmare City) First one is the best one, though maybe check out 2 and 3, but don't bother with 4 and 5 since they suck a lot.

Reanimator (1985) Yep, 1985 was a good year back in the 80s for zombie movies. If you want a mad scientist addition to the zombies, here you go. Probably one of my favorite horror movies of all time. Still pretty gory even for today and has another infamous bit in it that puts it over the top.

Night of the Living Dead (1990) Probably the best remake of the movie, Honestly I like it better than the original.

one year ago
What about The Last Man on Earth (1964). I guess they’re technically vampires, but any vampires that slow, shambling, and dumb deserve to be called zombies. It also explores the morality of going around during the day and murdering vampire zombies from house to house in their sleep.

one year ago

I knew this sounded familiar. This was the "best" attempt to adapt the book I Am Legend. I happen to enjoy the 2007 adaptation with Will Smith, which is actually called I Am Legend. I hate the idea that they might be making a sequel of this movie, but those rumors were from back in March so I'm hoping it might have just been BS.