ChooseYourStory.com

First sight of shore

You can't see the shore, or the bay that you should arrive at today. Every passenger is given a few hours to stand on deck, so they can get some fresh air and sunlight. You're taking yours now hoping you can get a glance of the land that you'll soon call home for the next few years.



You made your mark on a piece of paper that says you'll be living at this new settlement for the next three years. You can't read, so you made sure to memorize as much of the contract as possible. You're required to work for your new lord for thirty to sixty days every year. You have rights as a citizen of the community and a vote at the village moot of what ever towns, settlements, or villages are formed that you live in. You may practice what ever trade you are a member of, and are not required to be a member of a union to do so.



Your new lord is George Godbole. He doesn't have a title. He's a fourth son of some petty noble family, and since his father is still alive, George hasn't inherited his title yet. He won't either so long as his three eldest brothers are still alive.



Most of the people coming with you on the voyage are Georgians. The Kingdom was named after Captain George the second. You think that George Godbole was named after him, but you can't be certain. George is a common name among Georgians. 



You aren't a Georgian though. You're Front, or a Frontsman. Georgians are part of George's Kingdom, or the Georgian Kingdom. Front are the people that didn't want to live under the Captain's rule. So  you moved beyond what the Crew could rule. The Crew being nobility among Georgians. You were told you could receive additional payment as a scout and prospector for being a Frontsman. Since Georgians think all Frontsman are from the very Fringe of civilization, and have done that sort of work before. Of course you match that stereotype, so you don't mind getting paid for it.



One of the sailors calls out that he can see land. You stay in a spot where you know you'll stay out of the sailors way, and you think you'll be able to see the land from your vantage point.



"Arthur!" You hear your name called. The other migrants are making their way to the deck to get a view of the land ahead.



As you turn you see your friend David Singh, making his way to you from the crowd. His older Sister Marissa following him.



"Can you see it yet?" David asks



"Of course not. it's only just been spotted from the top of the mast." Marissa answers for you.



You watch for a few minutes and see a mountain covered in snow slowly climb out of the horizon.



"I'm going to go down and get my gear ready for landfall." You say to your companions.



A passing crewman interjects before you can move below deck. "Mount Jut is the first thing we'll see, but it goes up beyond where the air goes. We might still be a few days out from the harbor proper. Wait a little bit before you get your things. At least until we can see the harbor."



You watch for some time longer as the mountain comes into better view. Watching for over an hour you don't even see the range the mountain is a part of before your time on deck is over. You return below deck with the excited chatter of David following you.



"...that mountain is going to be visible from just about any point on the continent. We'll never be able to get lost with something like that on the horizon."



"One point of reference won't be enough to stop everyone from getting lost. It will help though." Marissa corrects.



"Don't be a spoil sport Marissa. We'll always be able to tell which direction is North with that mountain."



As long as you've known the siblings, David has always been excitable by most prospects, and Marissa has always tried to temper him and keep his exuberance factually correct. You'd probably be bothered by it if she corrected you like that too. David once explained it to you that she was told by their father that because they're sub-crew that they were expected to be educated and correct in as much as is possible. She was given the job of correcting her younger brother.



You make your way over to the common area and find a place to sit with your friends. They've always had so much to say that you never needed to say anything yourself, so you add very little to the conversation. You listen to the siblings argue and talk for a few hours. Then you go to bed. You were fortunate enough to get a top bunk. David picked a bottom bunk and once on the trip while hanging his head over the side of his bunk with seasickness, the man in the bunk above him became sick as well. He wasn't given anymore water than his normal ration to get clean. It took a few days for the smell to leave him.