ChooseYourStory.com

The River Lord's Wedding

You stared in horror as you saw the crowds of townspeople waiting before the river. You haven't dared to even go near the river ever since you were born, but this roaring, merciless trench was about to become your permanent grave. The world around you became silent as you walked slowly and painfully towards your inevitable death.



In your last moments, many thoughts flashed past you as you were slowly forced along the red carpet beneath your feet. Why did people still believe in the River Lord? The river was just a huge body of water. lt couldn't possibly have any thoughts, let alone being a god of some sort. Your thoughts did not matter however. This was what the chief woman firmly believed in, along with all the townspeople. They weren't going to risk another disastrous flood again.



Countless girls have already died for the River Lord, or rather the foolish thoughts of townspeople. The chief woman claimed that the River Lord wanted a young, pretty wife, just like any ordinary man. Of course, she must be unmarried. Out of all the suitable girls this year, you were the one that the world would care least about if you were gone. Your birth parents didn't care a bit for any of their daughters. Your youngest sibling was all they wanted all along anyway.The girls born before he was were all willingly given as a gift to couples with no children. No one in town wanted you at the time of your birth however, so you were raised to run errands and take care of your little brother. 



Your parents wanted to raise you to be a good wife and marry a man richer than you were currently, so that the family could get gifts or support from your husband. They were a little reluctant when the chief woman contacted them, but she offered them enough money to make them shut up and hand you over. 



The deafening beating of the large drums brought you back to reality. Men shouted and yelled, ready to perform the wedding, which in truth was just the task of drowning you in the river. You screamed as two strong men tried to force you into a huge rough sack. On one hand, you weren't ready to die a gruesome death you didn't dare imagine. On the other hand, even if you were alive, you would live like a slave as long as your parents and this society exists. You're running out of time to think.