Player Comments on The Miracle of Jess

This storygame is a 99% linear story, clearly written as a straight-up narrative rather than with true interactivity. There is some use of items early on (these sort of fall away 1/3 of the way through, and they are never used in any particularly interesting way--the key goes in the lock.)

There are a couple of choices which, if you choose to push against the stream of the story, push you right back into the main narrative. "Go with the Doctor/Don't go with the Doctor"--both, of course, make you go with the Doctor.

I am not at all a Doctor Who fan. I know enough of it to be able to tell this is sort of a "best-of" mixer of some of the major enemies and types of plots. The main character here is a total dud. Perhaps this is typical for Companions. But she does little--*can* do little, because there are not choice. At one point someone actually says, "Get behind me, my lady!" to her.

Writing-wise, the story is serviceable, but not great. Serious punctuation and sentence-level errors show up on nearly every page, but the writing is totally readable, and there's some narrative momentum. I think this would have been much better just as a story--as an attempt at interactivity, it's a tough read.
-- Gower on 9/30/2019 7:01:30 PM with a score of 0
Although I am not a fan of Dr. Who and sometimes didn't understand what was going on, it will be hard to find a fan fiction story game as well written as this one!
-- Troppy on 6/24/2017 2:15:20 AM with a score of 0
Great story. You got me really interested about Doctor who! I just might start watching the series!

I think this could even be considered feature-worthy if not for its linearity. That was my only problem. It was too freaking linear. Otherwise, this was awesome.
-- Penworth on 6/5/2015 11:19:50 AM with a score of 0
Wooooo Doctor Who
-- Isanshan on 5/7/2015 3:27:55 PM with a score of 0
Good game I can't figure out how to beat it though.
-- Fableheath on 3/10/2015 12:18:30 PM with a score of 0
is there another 1 coming anytime soon?
-- warriorcats64 on 2/8/2015 8:17:25 PM with a score of 0
It was well written, especially for a fan-fiction, but... As others noted, there were very little options that actually made a differences if any. You were kinda forced down one route.
Fan-fiction being mixed with 'Choose your own adventures' can be a really cool way to go, with the different paths, etc. Unfortunately, you didn't utilize that.
As it is, and you even admitted this, it's just a (good!) fan-fiction, not a CYOA game.
-- Tanstaafl on 10/3/2014 10:56:20 AM with a score of 0
I really don't understand nor do I like, or have seen doctor who before. Honestly, I just dislike how everyone talks about it (I haven't quite pinned down if it's a book or a movie series; I know it's one of the two). The game was pretty linear, as in, not many choices for a choose-your-own-adventure game. Nonetheless I was impressed by the vocabulary and execution of the text to insure that my experience was at least somewhat enjoyable.
-- Ford on 10/3/2014 1:05:52 AM with a score of 0
You had good grammar and spelling, and the game was pretty long. It was pretty linear, though, and I feel that you could have branched out different bits of it. Are you making another? You should. I really want to know what happens. I do recommend you unpublish this one and add to it if you want to continue the story, it tends to be better for readers. Good job. 5/8.
-- AngelOfThatThing on 10/2/2014 10:52:15 PM with a score of 0