Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Within-Game Feedback?

6 years ago

This will probably reveal my incompetence with coding (because hopefully, this doable/easy), but can I insert some sort of a feedback mechanism within the game itself (i.e. before the reader reaches an ending)?

I am thinking, maybe at the end of each chapter (and within the page text itself), there can be the following: "Rate this chapter: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10"... where each number is clickable and shoots me a pre-fab message once clicked ("such and such chapter received a such and such rating"). 

Or maybe: A "Give the author feedback on this chapter." button where a window pops up and the reader can destroy my life's work at their leisure, but then is returned to the game once they hit send?

Within-Game Feedback?

6 years ago
In theory, of course this can be done. In reality, this would require a lot of external features, functions, and/or calls to things that this site does not have and cannot do. But if you have access to your own web server space, probably with a database of some kind, then sure, this could happen.

Within-Game Feedback?

6 years ago

Thanks for this answer, Ogre! :)

Within-Game Feedback?

6 years ago
That sounds like a terrible idea. Why would you want to constantly nag players about how they found the story? It would just be annoying.

More importantly, why would it even matter? Are you going to be changing your writing style drastically between chapters or something? Are you just that concerned that some parts are going to be more boring than others?

Within-Game Feedback?

6 years ago
He's writing mostly for his patients I'd assume. Or people who otherwise have the issues the game addresses so it makes sense to want to know how effective it is and how to improve it.

Anyway Ikiriakos, you're most likely going to want to hit up Brad for questions like these, he could probably at least point you at some resources.

Within-Game Feedback?

6 years ago

I don't want it to be annoying (and I could definitely see it being annoying if it was too frequent or intrusive/cumbersome... so probably will just get most of this info from passive tracking once I make an app).

My main interest would be 1. Did I make patients anxious/trigger panic symptoms by describing anxiety symptoms too vividly and too soon in the book)? and 2. Are people nodding off at particular points, in which case I need to move the action (or fix it in some other way that I still need to learn as a writer)?

Initially, I noticed that a lot of people (i.e. been sending friends to the beta) stopped reading my game at the end of chapter 3, which was right when one of the characters puts you down for being too ambitious. So I moved her insults to chapter 4. LOL  At some point, I might wise up and remove her diatribe completely.  

Within-Game Feedback?

6 years ago
Ah. If that's the case your storygame seems like it's designed around always being a work in progress.

If you wanted to take advantage of the CYS style of games, you could simply ask their opinion at the end of the chapter, and pick a different next chapter as a result.

Person found that chapter 1 was too vivid? Make their chapter 2 tamer.
They found it too boring? Make chapter 2 get to some action faster.

Etc, etc.

Within-Game Feedback?

6 years ago

Cool idea, Killa. Thanks! :-)