Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

We are Helven Part 3

5 years ago

Malakar stands, his arm stretched outward, hand up flat. His hand shakes and he breathes in deeply, as if winded. The smoldering form in front of him, embers flash, face frozen in shock, the being once alive now as dead as the stone that makes up the walls.

The heavy wooden doors to the chambers slam open, Malakar turns and watches as Bulkar rushes in.

"They're dead! They're all dead!" Bulkar shouts.

The large Helven covered in scratches, wounds and bruises. His right eye half shut as blood drips down towards it.

"Who? What happened to you?"

"That....Keros, and that....bitch he has with him." Bulkar says as he skids to a stop.

"No, not who did it, although I would have asked next," Malakar says, taking a step closer to Bulkar.

"Crouley, Gaviro, Temex, and they've got an army behind them now and-" Bulkar's eyes widen in shock, and he points at the burnt corpse behind Malakar.

"What-what have you done?" Bulkar says, "Malakar! We...he....we needed him!"

"We can make more," Malakar says in an even tone, his eyes pierce through Bulkar's.

Malakar turns his head back to the smoldering ruins, and with a sigh watches the smoke slowly rising...

The dark nothing of the void, all of known existence remains in this little speck of oblivion. First a light tink tink tink far off. Then it soon become a deafening crescendo of pain, a mind racking cacophony. Another sound, then two as the tink tink tink stops.

One voice deep and talking very slow, the other gruff and at a moderate pace. A small flap moves light sears into the eye, as the bright light dissipates, a clear light blue fog surrounds its vision. As it seems to clear away, a round object can be seen, it raises something in view, and slowly moves it back and forth, then up and down.

"Fascinating," Dr. Zyro says as he looks into the tube. He moves his finger as the light blue embryonic creatures eyes follow it.

"Subject thirteen has opened its eyes, it can even follow basic movements!" The doctor says as he scribbles hastily onto some parchment. "They're not even supposed to wake up until at least the prepubescent stage, never mind follow movement like this."

"So? Maybe it's another one of your duds or something," the gruff stranger leans against the wall.

His long dark hair tied up, and the torch on the wall illuminates his face and bronze skin.

"No, no my friend," Zyro says, "this is amazing!"

"I don't really see how."

"What I originally set out to create, was a race of superior soldiers, to fight, kill, and die at your command. But something greater may be at hand?"

"It's just looking at you, given I wouldn't expect much more from it at this point, doctor."

The doctor stands up and faces his friend.

"What if...they have the capacity to learn just beyond killing and fighting. They could be generals, emperors....gods!"

"Not sure how one waking up prematurely is giving you this train of thought."

"Ha ha! You see my small minded friend," he says, "the new generation has been created using the genes from only the best and brightest. From a killing machine like your father, to the elves of the Sevalian Isles, the goblins of the west, and of course...you."

"Yeah, what about me?"

"You've shown a potential for magic, and willingness to learn beyond many of the fools out there I've come across." Dr. Zyro turns and gently places a hand on the glass incubation tube, "if we could just instill that same capacity in this one at a young age....who knows what its potential could be."

"Hmm, seems possible I guess."

"Hmm, we'll need a name for this one...." Dr. Zyro strokes his chin, "hello little Malakar, I am doctor Zyro. I've created you here....I'm sure we'll have a lot of time to get to know each other!"

The little blue creature shuts its eyes, settling back into slumber for now.

"You're naming them now?"

"Yes, why not? It won't do to call them 13, 14, and such all their lives," Dr. Zyro says, "it'll make them a little easier to tell apart I suppose."

Dr. Zyro goes back to his notes and jots down a few things.

"You know, for someone with such great capacity for studying magic and the sciences," Dr. Zyro says, "you can be pretty close minded....Keros."

Malakar stands, the smoke having long ago stopped. Bulkar and some other servants hustle about, preparing for the oncoming onslaught.

"So they really are trying this?" Malakar asks.

"Yes, they've already fought through much of the main castle, my lord."

"So it's worse than I thought," Malakar says, "how did they get so far so soon?"

"They've got the help of that bastard Arius...and that uhh, that necromancer."

"Levinir?"

"Yes, my lord."

"Well, after what happened, I can't say I blame them for rising against us. I should have done what I did long ago, all it takes to maintain the status quo is to keep your subjects happy....not suffering and living like rats in smoldering ruins."

Malakar sighs and turns to the doors, which have been bolted shut and barricaded shut.

"Now we've got a full on revolt on our hands," Malakar says, "remove the barricade, I'll deal with them."

"What?" Bulkar says, "are you sure sir?"

"Yes, yes, I'm sure," he says, "I'll end this one way or another. Peacefully or with bloodshed, it'll be their choice in the end."

"Uhh, sir! I think they've already made their choice!"

"No, with the right amount of pressure they'll listen," Malakar says, "besides, I already took care of a mutual problem."

Malakar gestures at the burnt up corpse, and Bulkar nods and goes to remove the barricade. With each passing moment the rebels draw near, fighting for what they think is right.

As the shouts and clamor of armor echo through the halls, Malakar waits for them....

We are Helven Part 3

5 years ago
Thanks, you are free to go.

I guess I better reread the others to remember what's going on here. You really ought to gather these all up in their own thread sometime though.

We are Helven Part 3

5 years ago

oh good idea, I'll probably do that for the Tumble one too and just throw the links on my profile. Although Part 4 is going to be like, before and after part 3 actually if that makes sense, just with a couple of time jumps.

We are Helven Part 3

5 years ago

The dead guy had it coming.  

We are Helven Part 3

5 years ago
This is WAY better than the thing Cricket posted btw.

We are Helven Part 3

5 years ago

That's why he's the one with the knighthood.  XD