Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

Dramatic monologue thingy

5 years ago

Oh no, Len, please, don’t get up.

Always had a taste for the good stuff, haven’t you Len? Shame you never really learned to appreciate it. Always too intent driving yourself into the dirt.

You’re a sharp man Len, even with the drink. Hell, I’d be the first person to admit that. There is no doubt in my mind that you know exactly what’s going on with Frank and Wesley. That you know exactly why I’m here. That you’ve planned out exactly what you’re going to say to me. For everyone’s sake, I hope you reconsider.

You may think you know what you are doing, that you know what will happen, that you know what people will think.

That they’ll see Len finally stepping out from the shadow of others. Len, finally rising up into the light. Len, the hero.

I’d be lying if I said I cared about your delusional fantasies. They won’t see you as a hero. This town is built on tradition, built on strength, built on loyalty. It runs in the blood. You won’t change that. They won’t love you, they’ll hate you. I don’t want that to happen.

Instead, this is what’s going to happen. We’re gonna have a little chat, just like old times. Tomorrow, you’re gonna walk out that door and bring my boy back. I don’t care what you have to do but I want him back to me.

Len, we’ve always been honest with each other, which is why we were always so strong together, so trust me when I say this: you have no choice in this matter. You are my Abraham. It is your duty to do what I tell you. You do your duty and if that means going against your values and your principles, then I expect nothing less than you putting them on the altar and going for the jugular.

That’s my boy in there. You, of all people, should know that no one messes with a Hayden. Family comes first; that’s just how things work around here. You and I, we’d both do anything to protect our families, no matter from what.

If he’s not walking free by sundown tomorrow, so help me God, I will do it myself, and you know that won’t end well for anyone. Not for this town, not for you and Rosie, and especially not for that wretch of a son who calls you Deputy.

You may think that he is a good man, that he cares for you, that you owe him something. But, look at what he has done to my family. What if it was yours?

And Len, don’t pour yourself another drink, you’ve got work to do.