Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Positive Debate

15 years ago
Today in my speech class, we were choosing subjects for the our end of term assignments (persuasive speeches). The teacher handed out lists of the possible subjects, 90 percent were huge political and sensitive topics. I asked about the two most controversial (on the level of the ghetto cretins I go to school with), and these are abortion and marijuana legalization. The latter is unfortunately the most controversial. These no life people started babbling about how cool it would be if marijuana was legalized, as if they would be able to smoke openly with bo restriction, blow smoke in their parents face, etc. bullshit. As for abortion, everyone except for me, a friend and someone I don't know, said we were not against it. I'm not ashamed in saying so, I believe women have the choice as to whether or not they want toi carry surplus weight, get morning sickness, spend thousands of dollars on medical costs, go through the excruciating pain of childbirth. And who are we to say that they aren't allowed to choose? What about rape victims or young ladies physically unfit to carry a child? Cases of incest? How about people who are just not ready? I'm trying to convince her to let me do this topic...

What are your takes on these topics, CYS?
(also, flooding me with 'it's murder' or 'weed makes me feel good' arent acceptable. give the WHY).

Thanks and hopefukky we see some the views and beliefs of each other.

Positive Debate

15 years ago
Also, if you use religion, cite me verses. I can't seem to find one about abortion; I've found many on damaging your body and soul with what you consume.

Positive Debate

15 years ago

http://www.abortion-and-bible.com

That wasn't real hard, gematria.  Try googling "abortion bible verses."

If birth control were more effective and widespread, then abortion wouldn't be so common.  Of course, the same people who object to abortion on moral grounds also often believe that birth control is morally wrong.

Look, if nicotine and alcohol are legal with restrictions, then why not weed? 

Sam: [coughs] Get outta here, Dewey!
Dewey Cox: What are y'all doin' in here?
Sam: We're smoking reefer and you don't want no part of this shit.
Dewey Cox: You're smoking *reefers*?
Sam: Yeah, 'course we are; can't you smell it?
Dewey Cox: No, Sam. I can't.
Reefer Girl: Come on, Dewey! Join the party!
[takes a hit off a joint]
Sam: No, Dewey, you don't want this. Get outta here!
Dewey Cox: You know what, I don't want no hangover. I can't get no hangover.
Sam: It doesn't give you a hangover!
Dewey Cox: Wha-I get addicted to it or something?
Sam: It's not habit-forming!
Dewey Cox: Oh, okay... well, I don't know... I don't want to overdose on it.
Sam: You can't OD on it!
Dewey Cox: It's not gonna make me wanna have sex, is it?
Sam: It makes sex even better!
Dewey Cox: Sounds kind of expensive.
Sam: It's the cheapest drug there is.
Dewey Cox: [at a loss and out of excuses] Hmm.
Sam: You don't want it!
Dewey Cox: I think I kinda want it.

Positive Debate

15 years ago
It was more of a personal belief, and marijuana IS bad for you. I hate it when people say it isn't. I'm not sure if you were, though.

Positive Debate

15 years ago
I meant to say that I wanted to hear people's personal beliefs rather than internet stuff, because those verses don't say anything about keeping an unwanted child.

Positive Debate

15 years ago
Although it said it doesn't have to directly say it, it's up to debate as to whether abortion is murder or not.

Positive Debate

15 years ago

Not if you ask most religious people.  Since many verses refer to "in the womb," it's assumed that unborn babies have souls.

Depending on which time period you examine, the position has been that a child is a person: at the moment of conception, when the mother feels the baby moving inside her, at birth, or even that all eggs and sperm are potential people and need to be treated as such.

Positive Debate

15 years ago

How exactly is it bad for you, gem?

Is it worse than alcohol?  What about nicotine or caffeine?

Positive Debate

15 years ago
Not worse at all Seth. I know people that smoke weed and they act fucking stupid when their on it. I guess alcohol has been a tradition through the ages, so it's not been illegal (except for prohibition). Wait..didn't Native Americans smoke weed for certain ceremonies?

Positive Debate

15 years ago
Peyote. Much better than weed.

You can't be against weed just cause people act stupid on it. How fucking retarded are most drunks?

Positive Debate

15 years ago
I understand lol. (peyote..you fiend)

I've leanred it kills brain cells and you can't replace brain cells, so will that uphold?

Positive Debate

15 years ago

So does alcohol.

Positive Debate

15 years ago
Birds can replace brain cells.

Positive Debate

15 years ago
Good points...I wish the other people in my class were HALF as smart as you guys are...althoug my class consists of mostly 16 yr olds

Positive Debate

15 years ago

Oh, debates.

Abortion:

I consider myself a very religious person. I got to church whenever possible, etc. But I strongly support the separation of church and state. The US, despite what anyone will say, is a secular country, or rather it should be. The practice of religion is something that one must decide to do or not to do. So if we outlaw abortion based on the fact that it is religiously incorrect, that is not right. What if an atheist wants an abortion? Why should he/she have to follow the rules of a religion he/she does not practice? I personally support the choice of abortion from a secular viewpoint. It should be up to the woman to decide whether to abort or have the child. From a religious point of view, I would not ask my wife to have an abortion. It'd be a team decision, although she would have the final say. So I personally would not choose to have an abortion, but that's my CHOICE. It should be up to the individual to CHOOSE. That's what America is all about. Now, in terms of morality, that too is a choice that all people are entitled to.

Marijuana, etc.:

Ugh. Drugs. Once again, I'm a religious person, and religion has tought my morals, one of them is to not do drugs. Personally, it's an easy choice. Call me manipulated by parents, etc., but frankly it's as useful as crying about Noob Toobs in CoD4. Now, school. I know kids who do drugs - illegal drugs. Unfortunately, I have no power to stop them from doing that, and I'm not going to rat them out. It's a choice they individually have to make. I cannot cheat them out of the truth by ratting them out. Now, law. I don't believe Marijuana or any other currently illegal drug should be legalized. Nicotine and the like SHOULD be outlawed, however. We must break free of the corruption that cigarrette companies have shackled our country with. Obviously, the government would help smokers quit smoking with therapy. It's not perfect, no. But nothing ever is. Now, alcohol. I've seen many commercials saying "Please Drink Responsibly" as blatantly as their slogans. I'm glad they have those. Since alcohol is a traditional drink, it can only be regulated by the individual. That's yet another moral choice for the person to make.

In conclusion, morality is the answer to the questions. No, it is not as powerful as some might want it, but that's how America SHOULD operate.

Positive Debate

15 years ago

Very good point Anubis, what some people want is to restrict others' freedom. Because you don't *have* to abort if it is legal. Besides that, when abortion is banned people just seek dangerous, unhygenic "back alley" abortions, which is far worse.

And Seth, this is quite true, opinions on abortion depend on the age at which you believe someone becomes a thinking, sentient being. Sperm and eggs though, is really, really rediculous. The female body has mechanisms that kill millions of sperm to ensure only the strongest make it through (score another point for evolution), so is helping that process with birth control pills mass murder? Religion seems to want to maintain the "natural" status quo, after all.

The human brain does most of it's development in the first years of childhood (interacting with environment, learning to speak and think) , and people's personalities take a lifetime to grow. No-one has memories of the womb. IMO, a ball of cells is not a sentient being. Foetuses close to birth should not be aborted, but since there is no way to prove sentience in an unborn baby the best thing would be to have the abortion as soon as possible.

Positive Debate

15 years ago

Anubis-

alcohol is a traditional drink so it should be regulated, but nicotine should be outlawed?!  What happened to morality? 

Positive Debate

15 years ago

Exactamente.  People want to legislate their own personal morality.

I ain't saying we don't pretty well agree on some things- i.e. killing people and taking their stuff is wrong, even if you're an atheist.

The anti-abortionists would say that killing a fetus is not a matter of personal choice, since the wishes of the fetus are not being considered.  However, these tend to be the same people who say only abstinence is an acceptable method of birth control, and who stigmatize sex out-of-wedlock.

Hey, you know who never get abortions?  Homosexuals.

Positive Debate

15 years ago

"Hey, you know who never get abortions?  Homosexuals."

Nice.

Alcohol, or at least wine, can have some nutritional value. Plus, it is traditional. Nicotine isn't, though. It's basically stealing someone's money and life. Awesome. Plus, I can't think of one person / family that considers smoking a tradition.

I see what you're saying, but there are differences.

Positive Debate

15 years ago

I think alcohol is just less damaging than smoking. Smoking is more addictive, produces more harmful effects that are harder to cure. I think the "tradition" thing counts for something - people know how to deal with alcohol, practically anyone can make it. Smokes, on the other hand, have their prices jacked up by cig companies and the government of course gets their cut in taxes - which is really just a bribe.

Producers have more to gain by keeping people addicted to smokes than to alcohol, because the average person can't make smokes.

Ah well, at least people have stopped using x-rays to lose hair.  And advertising it on televison.

Positive Debate

15 years ago

Smoking is a tradition among many cultures.

Positive Debate

15 years ago

Do you mean weed smoking or tobacco/tar smoking?

Positive Debate

15 years ago

Is everyone arguing whether or not certain substances should be regulated? 

I'd rather ask then read over the thread. :p

Positive Debate

15 years ago
Actually, I think originally gematria was asking us to do his debate assignment for him. . .

Positive Debate

15 years ago

No, he was just asking us to debate on the topics. He had already given his report.

Positive Debate

15 years ago

I have a mixed opinion on abortion. Yes, it's taking a life away before it has a chance, but if there is a rape case or any other major circumstance, then I say do it.

Positive Debate

15 years ago

Hm, I read an editorial about abortion the other day.  It was pretty good, except for that it was a total attack on others, so anyone who might disagree with them would normally just shut them off at the first few sentences.

It was against my beliefs, but whatever.  I read it, and it was pretty sick, but for its intended audience, it'd be good.  My stance on abortion:  I don't think I could ever abort my unborn child... But, given that I'm not everyone's mother, fuck it.  Let them do what they want.  Babies die all the time, it sucks, but until it happens to me, through abortion I didn't consent to, I don't care.  

As for alcohol:  More or less the same thing.  If you want to get drunk and stupid, do it in a bar or where you can't screw someone else's life up.  Aside from that, go for it.  Get alcohol poisoning for all I care - it's just one less person to have to deal with.

Though, practiacally speaking, that's not going to happen.  People will still drink in public and ruin other's lives, although, I believe it to be far worse to try and prohibit, and I use that word for a reason, alcohol, not only because people will revolt, but because your taking away people's freedoms and probably rights. :p

Positive Debate

15 years ago
To answer the question about traditional smoking, Native Americans did both. The "dreams" they had were actually trips on marijuana, and they obviously smoked tobacco.