Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

I need some tips on focusing on my story.

5 years ago

I'm back again, hopefully for much longer, and I have decided to try and work on my story. The thing is though that I can't seem to keep focused on it. I mean it has been almost 2 years since I brainstormed on this idea, and it still isn't past the first page. 

What do you guys do to stay focused that may be of help to me?

5 years ago
Write other stories. No, really. When I'm working on a longer story, I take breaks and write some shorter (and often sillier) stories.

Or switch gears. With CYOA stories, there is the story, there is the text, and there are the paths. Sometimes I spent time planning paths, directions, items, and variables; then other times I work on the flavor text or develop characters. Then other times I work on the actual writing. Switching up helps when I get tired of doing one, or run out of ideas for one of those things.

5 years ago
The easiest way to stay focused on a story is when it's a story you enjoy working on because you're excited about it.

You need to consider that you might actually subconsciously hate this story, or at least the opening you planned. Knowing on some level that a plot or scene isn't just isn't interesting or isn't working is a big cause of writer's block.

The things that you care about and want to write about and general views of the world can change a lot in two years. Maybe this is your brain telling you it's time to either rework the whole idea from scratch with a fresh perspective or like Ogre said, do something else entirely for a bit and see how you feel coming back to it.

5 years ago
'I need some tips on focusing on my story.'

*never logs in again*

5 years ago
Maybe they're so focused they don't have time to log into the site.