Life as a Time Traveler

Player Rating3.77/8

"Too few ratings to be ranked"
based on 56 ratings since 03/23/2016
played 509 times (finished 60)

"run through the jungle"

"It'll be a while, better grab a SnickersĀ®"

"need to be accompanied by an adult"
Contains content that may not be suitable for persons under age 13. If this were a movie, it would probably be PG.

Steve is a time traveler, but he is not a superhero.  He does not use his powers for battling evil or being evil.  In fact, he does not even know what to do with his gloomy and crumbling life.  Perhaps today things will be different.  Perhaps today his present and future will be saved by... quite a special person.

Authors' Note: The endings depend on Steve's previous decisions.  There is one special ending found half way through the game, one sad ending, two real endings that are found at the end, and the "true epilogue" that is the best ending.  (The best ending has Stephanie in it in case you are wondering.)

Adding onto everything Will11 said - this was clearly a game you put plenty of effort into, and while some of the elements did feel a little disjointed, if only because the main character's thoughts and responses didn't seem to fully mesh with the circumstances and situations he was faced with. While that may have been intentional, given the nature of his powers, I wanted to see more of his personality tying the disparate plot elements together instead of being told about who he was.

As for the language sounding a little stilted, I would advise using more contractions. Most people say 'don't' instead of 'do not', for instance, and it will go a long way towards making the writing sound less formal.
-- the_quiller on 3/27/2016 12:15:36 AM with a score of 0
I did find the language used this story extremely odd and stilted... I can think of 2 reasons for this -
1) Sometimes when I do lots of paperwork and then try to write creatively the language comes out as a bit formal and official. This might be the case here.
2) English is not your first language and you learned rather formal English.

I did find the story a bit unstructured and oddly unrealistic. The main character was a bit... weird. The odd thing is you have plot events, characters, setting etc but it's a bit like you've put them through a blender and mixed them altogether, not enough to make the story truly random but enough to make it a bit different and more in a disconcerting than entertaining way.

That said you have obviously put a good amount of effort into the story, your writing is error free and spontaneous enough to be interesting in places but this story might require some editing. Also the School genre might not match the tone of this writing, something like Edutainment or Gothic Horror might be more appropriate :)
-- Will11 on 3/23/2016 10:03:35 PM with a score of 0
Stephanie sounds like a female alt of Steve...

More than one user (including Almighty Architect God Will11) has said that the formal language stilts the darn thing, but it seems to match with Steve's "that guy" personality, though you could've reduced the formality of the other characters.

That being said, the plot was nice. A time traveler that's not playing hero is not often heard of in 21st century discord. The Stephanie thing (*cough *cough time-related *cough *cough) left me in a cliffhanger, so I'd appreciate it if you eventually made a sequel about the Stephanie storyline as well. This is the only flaw that detracts, really.

To conclude, this is one of Cystia's hidden gems that need a bit of polishing. But just as it is right now, it's worth every cent. 6/8.
-- AgentX on 4/10/2017 9:24:04 AM with a score of 0
good game i would like to see more
-- tankantor9 on 11/11/2016 2:05:44 PM with a score of 0
Well written only a few spelling errors. Good story felt a bit linear but I guess that's sort of the nature with the subject matter.
-- BigRonn77 on 10/17/2016 3:44:47 PM with a score of 0
This was certainly well written, I tend to really enjoy stories that have time traveling elements so that may have sweetened my review just a bit.
-- TharaApples on 6/26/2016 5:20:38 PM with a score of 0
This was so beautiful. Although, it didn't take me lng to finish, so I either read fast, or the rating is weird. I dunno.
This was beautifully written, and reminds me of a movie I watched...can't remember which. It will probably come to me in a couple of hours. Oh well.
-- CrazyCat on 5/21/2016 12:38:22 AM with a score of 0
You did a very good job with the storyline but you might have wanted to edit it some more, good job!
-- Whovian64 on 5/2/2016 10:27:39 PM with a score of 0
Very good!
-- jster02 on 4/30/2016 2:38:12 PM with a score of 0
I thought it was interesting and decently written. Your writing is a little stiff, if you can loosen it up some, I think it will flow much better and greatly improve the overall quality.
-- Bucky on 4/10/2016 3:13:05 AM with a score of 0