Player Comments on Sacrifice

Whew, that was kind of a rough start. It started out with some word choice issues on the very first word. I don’t even know what “Sat on the cold, stone floor” is supposed to mean. Does it mean I am sitting on the floor? Or is it talking about the marbles that are on the floor? And I’m not sure what they’re doing: does it mean all must be sacrificed for me? Or do they have to be sacrificed to me? Or do I die if they don’t get sacrificed to someone else? And I don’t think “resemblent” is a word.

The story itself was a little interesting, but nothing really happened. I appreciated the way scripting was used to modify the text when different choices were made, but the different choices didn’t really have any effect on the story. I mean sure, there were three different endings based on the single choice you made towards the end, but they were all relatively non-significant. Really, no matter what choice you made, well, the story just ended. It would have been nice if there were more effects to the choices there so that it really made a difference what choice you selected.

I think this story could be interesting and it has a lot of potential. However, there’s just not much here. The descriptions of the three people are really neat, but don’t seem to matter that much. More descriptions of what’s going on and before and after those three people would really make the story a lot better, IMO.
-- Ogre11 on 7/3/2018 3:56:27 PM with a score of 0
Hm. It's a beautiful concept that... doesn't really go anywhere. There are stakes and consequences and choices and payoffs, but no genuine build-up. There's emotion, but it has little time to develop. If I become anything less than a monster, I die. If I sacrifice everything to survive as a monster, my ultimate fate is left rather ambiguous. This feels as if it could've been made into an epic, as if it could've been something grand and gut-wrenchingly emotional or fantastically bizarre but wasn't. It could also use a bit of formatting and polishing, but eh. In the end, I like this, but I can't justify loving it and I wish I could. I wish this was fleshed out and that I knew more about this world.
-- Kiel_Farren on 1/20/2016 3:50:57 AM with a score of 0
Despite the grammar mistake on the opening page, this game grabs you from the start. I felt like dumb fish with hook stuck in my cheek (the mouth one), I was brought into the story in a way that most storygames don’t. The premise to begin the storygame is amazing to the degree that I wasn’t sure if the writing itself was subpar or if the premise is just that dang good. Most likely the latter as the writing is actually quite good. It just didn’t “wow” me the same way.

You essentially get to peer into the lives of three different people and decide to kill one (or all three) in exchange for your life. It’s an interesting moral dilemma to be placed before you since all three have their faults. I suppose you do as well if you’re going to sacrifice one of them to save your own life. There is also the option to sacrifice yourself instead of the “innocent” people. Jokes on you if you did since that’s not the best ending to achieve. Lesson learned: be selfish.

The biggest issue I had was the lack of lore. You’re thrust into the climax of a pivotal part in a story, but you don’t really know how you got there or what happens after your choice. Is the world a better place if you kill a certain person? What is the point of the “Children of Darkness”? Who is your father? I have a lot of questions generated by the story and no answers to be found. I would be happy if more was added before or after before the events of this story. I just want more. Like Spongebob, I neeeeed it.

I probably wouldn’t recommend this game since it’s so short, but I really enjoyed it. It makes you think about things deeper than just the story itself, which makes the game more intriguing. I absolutely want more from the author.
-- ninjapitka on 5/30/2019 2:41:17 PM with a score of 0
I wanted to thank everyone for their comments - I wrote this in a couple of days when I was about 16, as a short project that fit into a larger world that I created. My original plan was to take the game further, which may be why a lot of you find that it doesn't really go anywhere, but I haven't been on this site for years - now that I have much more time on my hands, perhaps I'll expand on this or try to make a different, longer game!
-- Bethius on 5/29/2018 6:39:33 AM with a score of 0
why is this a thing
-- Jakethebro on 2/14/2018 4:55:55 PM with a score of 0
Interesting concept, but could be improved with a little more detail and context. Why were the marbles connected to these people specifically? Who is this person's father, and why do they need a child of light/darkness?
-- FossilSunbeam on 6/6/2017 3:48:04 PM with a score of 0
this is honestly one of my favorites, i loved it so much
-- HannaJoeLynn on 2/21/2017 4:14:26 PM with a score of 0
Yay I got the ending I consider to be the best
-- CeruleanFlare on 12/17/2016 4:54:27 PM with a score of 0
An interesting concept, but undeveloped. It feels like you tooks some pages from what should have been a much larger work and submitted them as a completed story.
-- MagmaArmor0 on 1/27/2016 10:31:07 PM with a score of 0