Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 2/1/2017: In order to update the game, you have to unpublish / republish so this becomes about responding to comments. Low priority for now.

[Site] Additional section on storygames

7 years ago

Kindly allow authors the ability to manage a specific thread for their storygame that's visible on the storygame's page (reference: steam page for game, where latest update is easily visible)

Goal: allow authors to respond to comments / share updates on their game / etc without having to unpublish and  republish the game

Reference: Steam Latest updates

Impact factor: 6/10

7 years ago
may as well follow through and give storygames thread-like comment sections where everyone can reply to eachother. It'd give thara something to dust up and manage over time if anything.

7 years ago

The admin decision here is whether to allow sub-fora for each game or not (would increase moderation workload for mods if authors aren't able to moderate their own game threads, but allowing them to moderate opens another can of worms with salty authors removing any 'non-supportive' discussions)

7 years ago
See: Forum: The Parlor Room.

(I mean, I know what you want, but we can really already use the Parlor Room and an author CAN easily attach a link in the story property that points to that thread as well!)

7 years ago

It's a very clumsy solution imo. For example, if there's a comment which says that a particular game is short, but it only seems that way because the author never went through alternate paths, would a person randomly coming across the game have any chance of opening the Parlor room to see if there's any post made there about the game NOT being short? I think not. Reducing the distance between the commend and the author's response seems a sensible step to me

7 years ago
It may be clumsy, but I think in this case it is quite effective. If you, as an author, put a link up on your story page that says, "Hey readers, for more discussions about the story, hints, tips, and responses to comments, please see this thread," then I think you've got something. Anyone who honestly wants to know more will follow the link.

In addition, I'd suggest there are a large number of stories (I'd love to get numbers on it) that were published by people who simply are not active on the site. There are even stories that are published and the people run, never to be seen again. So this feature might actually be used and useful for a very small set of stories. I'm not sure it would be worth the amount of effort it would take for the significantly small percentage of stories that would want to use it.

7 years ago

Counterpoint: Because it's hard to get visibility for improved storygames, the incentive to polish published games is low, as there's no way to drive attention to them outside the parlor. Ergo, adding another section on recently improved games would encourage longer term engagement of authors (above current levels)

7 years ago
I get it, and as an author, sure, I'd love more promotion. It might be fun to try, and I certainly like the idea of promoting updating of old stories. At the same time, I suspect it could be abused.