Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Just a quick question

9 years ago

If I tell a link to only be displayed if a certain variable is between 6 and 6, and then tell a different link to be displayed if the variable is between 4 and 5, will the first link only show up if the variable value is 6 and the second link only show if the variable is 4 or 5? I don't want the first link to be visible if the variable is 5, and vice-versa, so I don't want to input something like "Between 5 and 7"...

Just a quick question

9 years ago

This is a question for the advanced editor forum, but I'll try to help anyways.

If you have a link (Link 1) and you want to put a restriction on it, IF AND ONLY IF the value is 6, then in the variable restrictions menu, just do your variable name = 6. (Between 6 and 6 is redundant)

Now if we have another link (Link 2) and you also want to put a restriction on it between 4 and 5, that's fine.

If you don't want the first link to appear if your variable value is between 4-5, then open your first link and make sure that "Visible When Inactive" is NOT checked. If you check this box, it will display the link, but you won't be able to click on it. Where if it's unchecked, you can have it not be displayed, and display the other link instead. It's especially useful if  you want to include an "initial scene" in a location before giving the reader choices.

Hope this helped!

Just a quick question

9 years ago

Variables can only be whole numbers, so it's not possible it to be between a single digit. 

Therefore, the first link will NOT show up.

If you tell the second link to show up if the variable is between 4 and 5 then the link will show up ONLY if the variable is 3. 

If you want the first link to be visible only if the variable is 5, then select only if variable = 5.

Just a quick question

9 years ago

You both actually REALLY helped, so thank you :)