Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

What do I do? :´{

7 years ago

So my friend's dad passed away. I just got word from a text he sent me. I am not leaving the site or "taking a break". But, I just found out why he has not been to school for the past 3 days. As one of his best friends, 

What do I do? 

7 years ago

I read this as "What did I do? :'{".

Well, um... I guess it depends on the type of person.

Some people want to be alone.

Others want to be close to their friends and family during these moments.

It depends, really.

7 years ago

I know that, but, when he sent it to me, I could not understand the tone.

7 years ago

It really depends on the person, and you would know him better than anyone here, but if nothing else just go with the usual sort of thing, just say something like you're sorry and you'll be thinking of/praying for him and that you're there if he needs anyone to talk to. Then give him some space and if he wants to contact you again about it he will.

I hope you won't expect the thread to walk you through every interaction with the guy though, like I said, you would know him best.

7 years ago

Thanks Miz, I told him that my friends and I have got his back. I have not gotten a response yet.

7 years ago

Be emotionally supportive. He'll probably be confused, angry, or sad. Try and keep your cool if he lashes out due to his emotional state. Just help him out whenever you can.

Hopefully, he'll realize that you're there for him.

7 years ago

I suppose you could ask to go to the funeral if it's not too late. He might appreciate it.

7 years ago
You're one of his best friends yet after 3 days you didn't go to see what was up?

7 years ago
Killa is right here. Should've checked after 1 day maximum. If anything just to ask if he was sick or doing alright.

7 years ago

I texted him, but he never replied back.

7 years ago

He could've went into an old house and been kidnapped by the cannibalistic daughter of an evil witch. You are horrible friend, Jimmy.

7 years ago

I'm sorry to hear about that. After telling him that you're there for him and willing to listen, I think treating him normally and not as if he's fragile would be a good move. He might be experiencing a rollercoaster of emotions, so he may not act like he normally would. Giving him space is just as important as supporting him. Everyone deals with death differently, and while they may appreciate feeling supported, they might not want to feel . . . I suppose "coddled" would be the right term for it. Since you're his best friend, you'll know him better, so you should do what you think is best.  

7 years ago

I'll just leave him alone for awhile, if he comes back to school and appears fine, then I will try to talk to him as if the event never happened.

Give him something else to think of.