Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Quick Question About Creating a Game

7 years ago

Hey, I can't necessarily say I'm new here, but I'm considering creating a story game for the first time. I've read through a couple help articles, but I don't believe I've seen anything addressing the maximum length of a story game yet? So is there a limit to, lets say, how many chapters can be included in a game? And if I did make a game, would I be able to put a pause in it and later add on? Like update the story?

Name's Elena by the way. I never bothered with an actual introduction on this site.

7 years ago

You can make the story as long as you want I think, but in order to update the story you'd have to unpublish the game and then continue on. Also, this place is for introductions.

7 years ago

Oh, thank you. Didn't know you could unpublish stories.

And hi, Lancelot. Consider us kinda introduced.

7 years ago

Demos and unfinished games are frowned upon, but if you're talking about taking it down just to clean up or expand, there's no issue with unpublishing it a little while. Though generally you want to have your game as complete and polished as possible before putting it up in the first place.

You probably haven't looked through many of the top stories yet if you're asking about length. :D

Anyway, welcome to the forums. Drop by the Writing Workshop sometime if you want to put up some samples of your work for advice or feedback, or want to play around with some quick writing prompts. 

There's also a Halloween contest that's just starting out, might be a good way to get your feet wet if you can find a co-author.

7 years ago

Yeah, if I ever did unpublish something, it would be to expand it a bit. And the question about the length was just because the stories I'm planning out are probably going to be pretty long. I didn't want to plan out everything, only to learn that the site wouldn't fit the whole thing. That would have sucked. But thank you for elaborating. I'll consider stopping by the workshop later. Not so sure about the Halloween contest though.

7 years ago
Welcome to the site, I do hope you enjoy your stay here.

As for chapters, I've not tested it extensively, but I'm going to guess chapters are limited to something like 256 chapters or 2 million chapters, one of the two.

As for putting up a story and expanding it, I'd suggest that you do not. Generally on this site, once someone reads a story, they don't often go back and read it again. In fact, unless you advertise the fact that you've added to it in these forums, no one will even know you took the story down and added to it except you! Instead, and this is just my opinion, I would suggest you work on writing a complete story the first time. Then, if you want to expand it later, you just write another complete story that picks up where the first story left off.