Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Any good fantasy prompts?

6 years ago

I am very unoriginal, but I love writing. I can't seem to come up with a plot that carries enough motivation for me to feel like I'd rather be writing it than doing something else. I understand that originality is very important, so I won't ask for a full blown plotline, but maybe some good prompts? My best writing genre is fantasy, and I like stories with dragons, or epic quests.

6 years ago
A pirate and a distracted magistrate conspire to go on a bender. The story is begun by the reading of a will.

6 years ago
An inspector has limited time to save an eight foot man-eating bunny. The story is brought to a close by an attack.

6 years ago
An ornithologist battles with a demoralised werewolf. The plot is made more complex by a secret investigator.

6 years ago
Originality is actually not very important at all. The quality of the prose and basic elements of structure are a much bigger factor.

6 years ago

I knew that did too, I just figured making a story that is almost an exact copy of another one plot-wise isn't the best idea.

6 years ago
Eh. There are only seven plots. Knock yourself out making those copies.

With a fantasy story the more difficult part is likely to be deciding on a setting and tone, since those can vary so wildly and the setting especially needs a lot of detail work and planning.

6 years ago

Go with mythology. You'll take away the most work you have to put into a fantasy story, namely building a believable world that can stand on its own. Also by reading some epics you'll be bound to be inspired by something.

If you don't want to here's a prompt. In high-medieval Europe you're a Romani, so a gypsy. You're a nobody and have to move with the caravan often, but you like your life. However on one day you find yourselves in the middle of a war between two German dukes. 

Then, while scavenging one battlefield you're the first to spot a full plate armour. The curious bloke you are, you try to put it on. As you then proceed to bask in your own glory, you're captured by a battalion of mounted knights. They take you prisoner and intend to ransom you. Damn tough luck, you'll have to convince them that you're the real deal in order to stay alive.

You can then proceed to put in dragons and other medieval fantasies from that time period into this world. Props if you can combine fantasy and history into a story that would fit both believably.

6 years ago

here is a website that generates random writing prompts

http://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=writeprompt

6 years ago
Here's a few simple ones:

The protagonist is tasked with delivering an urgent message. To do so they'll have to travel through a dangerous wilderness and then into the heart of an enemy-controlled city, perhaps picking up companions along the way .

A teenager confined to a life of dull, backbreaking labor on a farm dreams of magic and adventure. One day while taking a cartload of turnips to the village market they come across a body, a robed man killed by unknown means. In his pockets and backpack there's a strange book and trinkets that appear magical in nature. Experimenting with them however leads to dangerous and unforseen consequences, and someone powerful is on the hunt for one of the items found.

And of course, always a classic: the protagonist is tasked with divesting a dragon of some significant item in its hoard.

These of course would vary hugely depending on the tone and details of the setting and the direction the plot is taken in. And even with the fantasy elements replaced with mundane ones or different time periods the basic setups still work fine. Most plots are like that.