Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 6/27/2012: Automatically rejected as part of the FWW clean out.

Sorting Variables and items

17 years ago
I currently have a good number of items and variables.  It's just that when I go to view them, they all go in one list.  While this is manageable now, I don't know what will happens as I get further into the game (I'm about... 1/7 done).  I'd like a way to have categories for items and variables; like chapters, they sort things out and make things easier for the author, and the player would not notice these groups.  However, you could move items and variables to and from these groups at will (and if scripting is involved, what group an item/variable does not change the code.)

17 years ago

yes this would be a nice thing to have, ALEX IF WE HAD ARRAYS ORGANIZATION WOULD BE MUCH BETTER!!!

17 years ago
Array organization or classes or whatever you want to call them.  Many people are making longer and longer stories.  Well, with those stories, we get more and move variables.  Because of that, it's becoming harder and harder to keep track of variables w/o some help from arrays and stuff.  I also tried to sell the idea of arrays to Alex, but only for scripting.  This gives a good reason for arrays to be used.

17 years ago

ah so you as well want arrays, i gave alex so many examples, so many situations of why we should use arrays and he still did not see why we should have it! ALEX!!!! its not too hard of thing to bring in is it?

how about make it exclusive to scripting only so that you could have:

%VARORARRAY(10) #creates an array called VARORARRAY with 10 indexes

%VARORARRAY[0] = 3 #the first index in the array is 3

so it can be as simple as that, dont need to name each one in the array, jsut call them from their index number so you dont need to make new syntax for an array, eg, to use arrays instead of % it is & and what i am saying is that does not need to happen, it does not need to be &array[0] = %nameofthefirstindex, %nameofthefirstindex = 3...

17 years ago
I'd actually like to see it something like this:

Arrays Defined

Weapons
Defense
PlayStats
OppoStats

Each array can be 10 characters long and in each array, you can have more arrays and than variables.  To call a variable inside of an array can be relativly simply.  It's like the following code:

%WEAPONS.SWORD

Notice the period between the array and the variable.  This is the same way it's done in javascript and makes it very useful.  Can anyone see where they would use arrays?  I mean, the only problem would be showing it.  It'd have to be shown like this:

Weapon - Sword:  ####

That, or when you make it so that it's possible to make the show variable better, we can have so we can show it in blocks.

---------------------------------------------  ----------------------------------------------------
-                Your Stats                      -  -                         Enemy Stats                   -

That would be the top.  I don't want to make any more examples of it's usefulness right now.  I'll let others give ideas.

13 years ago
Also, allow for non-alphabetized sorting. I'm going to group all of these suggestions here and reject the others for clutter purposes. This is widely wanted.

13 years ago

you can still answer things from...5 years ago?!!?

13 years ago
Only in the FWW and B&P

13 years ago

oh. that makes sense. what does the "subscirbe" and "unsubscribe" mean?

13 years ago
Nothing, right now.