Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

CYS-IS Contest

15 years ago

Might as well bring this up now.

There’s been some discussion lately between some CYSers and ISers about doing a grand contest thing. I know there hasn’t been a contest here for awhile so you might be interested.

Right now we’re still trying to decide on what theme to pick, I’ll keep you updated on what’s decided so if you like it then you can feel free to join.

As for the rules, we don’t have too many.  As it currently stands the only real one, we have a 20 page minimum. (Though this is under review, again I’ll keep you updated) and to stick more or less to the theme.

After we decide on what theme, we’ll decide on what the deadline will be, most likely Halloween since that’s traditionally been the deadline in the past, but again it’s been subject to change at times, depending on how slothful everyone is that year.

Now on to scoring.

Scoring is easy, you have 3 categories, that you rate from 1 to 10.

Plot/Originality

Enjoyment

Writing Quality

Also the scorer weights one of those categories which they found the most important. This weighted score counts as double the points. So if you rated Enjoyment a 9 and then weighted score for example, it would actually count as 18.

Rating is primarily done by everyone that participated in the contest, but even if you didn’t, you can still vote. Naturally you can't rate your own story.

We have a guy that’s obsessed with stats and numbers, so we just send him all the ratings where he totals them up and gives us the results. Whoever has the highest overall score wins. Of course we never had any official structured contests over at IS, we just started making these up ourselves, so we gain no money or even a virtual trophy over there, the winner just gets the bragging rights of beating their opponents into a bloody paste and then gets to decide on next year’s theme.

Anyway that’s the information on the IS Contest. So again after everything’s hammered out with theme, and all that, if anyone’s interested here, they can join. Me or maybe someone else that’s been discussing this will try to keep you updated.

Not sure if you want to post your story here or there, I suppose that’s another thing that would be hammered out. In the scheme of things it probably wouldn’t matter if they were in two different locations since the voting and scoring is sent all to the one guy who tallies all of them up. (Though maybe he might need to make an account here so you could send him your votes/scores)

Feel free to ask any further questions about it.

CYS-IS Contest

15 years ago
Endmaster, this is an awesome idea!

I just want to put this out there so you know what i would choose but being able to design in CYS OR in IS would be an awesome aspect to the contest. It would be an awesome way to compete (but doesnt mean IS regulars are limited to IS and CYSers limited CYS). Anyways just where my vote would go.

Also a question, IF it were allowed to be made in CYS, would scripting be allowed?

CYS-IS Contest

15 years ago

Yeah I forgot about all the extra editor options over here, one day I'll get around to using them! I just answered JJJ in a PM about this so I';ll mention it here too.

Anyway, I'd say no to the advanced editor stuff since we don't have all that stuff at IS, plus I know for the contests here you just use the basic one, so might as well keep that tradition alive. It can be as long as you want though.

CYS-IS Contest

15 years ago

Just as an update, the two themes that are in the top running are "Myth" and "Infinite Story" (Though Looping Story would probably be more approps if both sites are participating!)

Myth is fairly straight forward, but the Looping one is to do a story that doesn't properly end, it just continuously loops. Of course the challenge would be to make it loop continuiously in such a way that it makes sense.

Dreams, Average Day, Time Travel, Memories were all mentioned as examples as ways to do it, and all of them have their challenges. In fact time travel was sort of frowned upon since it seems too easy to make it loop endlessly, but I pointed out not as easy as one might think for a few reasons.

CYS-IS Contest

15 years ago

I really hope everyone will consider participating. It will be so much fun to have extra variety this year.

CYS-IS Contest

15 years ago

well, while i was the one who actually PMed End about a possible contest over here at CYS, there are some facts that you ISers need to know. Many times, if at all, we usually only have a hand ful of competitors. Typically Alex and March accept ANY story submitted after the date announced. with this set up though, you will be looking for a theme, that has been tried here and wasnt exactly successful. so as long as you keep that in mind, all will be well.

nate

CYS-IS Contest

15 years ago

It's alright, we usually only have a handful of competitors at IS contests as well. It's been as low as 3 and as high as 6, so if anyone from CYS gets interested it will at least provide a few extra people.

So far I know JJJ and Rommel both said they might be interested, but they're still deciding.

CYS-IS Contest

15 years ago
Depending on the theme I will participate. Also, no adv editor/scripting so i don't how i am gonna write a story (with just words!) :P

You can put me down as a maybe as well, since the deadline is all the way in october!

CYS-IS Contest

15 years ago

It looks like the theme will most likely be "Myth" though we'll get a confirmation within a day or so. These themes are very broad and general; as long as you can provide a decent justification for how your piece fits the theme, you're covered.

CYS-IS Contest

15 years ago

Hmmm... You say the deadline is Halloween...yeah, I suppose I could finish Cold Blood by then.

So let it be known! I am entering this contest with Cold Blood as my entry story!

CYS-IS Contest

15 years ago

I'll go in with Monster Of the Wastes

CYS-IS Contest

15 years ago

I suppose we'll have to put The Crusades on the back burner then. Once the contest is over, though, I'll return to working on it with you, Hoplite.

CYS-IS Contest

15 years ago
why arent there any female actors on your fav actor list? im appalled.

CYS-IS Contest

15 years ago

Because you care too much.

And since the contest happens to be Myth-only (so I skim, burn me at the stake if you must), I suppose Cold Blood can't enter. Since I don't have a story nor idea for a myth game, soz, but I'm out.

CYS-IS Contest

15 years ago
Looks like Myth is going to be the theme, unless some crazy votes occur.

We do have a theme, so if you can't stick to the theme you probably shouldn't enter. At the same time, we try to keep the theme as general as possible so that it isn't too constricting.

Hope some of you decide to join, and good luck to everyone who enters.

CYS-IS Contest

15 years ago
im excited about this!

CYS-IS Contest

15 years ago
If "MYTH" wins, that's a nice general one. See how you can twist it, it doesn't require much creativity to make that one your own, you know? Myth could be based on myths, make your own myths, this mo-fo is an f'in myth, etc, etc.

Just make sure that it's not so far off base that no one can tell that there is a myth involved in the story.

(of course this all assumes that myth wins, and right now its ahead by like 3 votes)

CYS-IS Contest

15 years ago
are we allowed to vote? my vote would go for myth for the record.

CYS-IS Contest

15 years ago
Of course you are. Vote away. The only stipulation we ask is that only those who are serious about entering get to vote. And thankfully we can see who votes. It's on http://www.forums.infinite-story.com under the Creative Writing category. You have to sign up for the forums, if you haven't already; it's seperate from the site.

CYS-IS Contest

15 years ago

Eh, there's actually a problem with signing onto the IS forums (Not the main writing site) right now from what Fleshy told me. He signed up a few days ago and still needs confirmation from Sev. (Our Admin) who's probably been wading through the 3 million spambots when he took the sign up process off of lock down.

He's also been tinkering with the site again and has a tendency to disappear as quickly as he reappears (I'm sure you're all familar with disappearing Admins) so if you want to vote or really want to post on the IS forums, you might have to contact him directly about it. As it stands I'm pretty sure Myth is going to win though.

CYS-IS Contest

15 years ago
Eye understand. Eye will do that ASAP

CYS-IS Contest

15 years ago

Urm, Why would there be a CYS-IS contest when those sites are enemies?

CYS-IS Contest

15 years ago

we arent enemies

nate

CYS-IS Contest

15 years ago
LOL two websites being enemies? LOL!!!

"I DECLARE WAR ON IS!! DOWN WITH IS!" ----wtf....

CYS-IS Contest

15 years ago

lol reminds me of the time Alex mentioned to MAG that people over at CYS were copying us. and some people actually fell for it. hahahaha

nate

CYS-IS Contest

15 years ago

Right now we’re trying to hammer out if CYS tools can or can’t be used, and if they can to what degree. One guy suggested that you guys should post your stories on IS. (He might’ve just been being argumentative though)

So (sigh) ANOTHER poll has been created. (by me)

Hopefully we’ll get this settled soon, since it looks like Myth is pretty much a done deal as far as theme goes and we already settled on the 20 page/room minimum rule.

CYS-IS Contest

15 years ago
it would be great if either editor could be used. As to the limitations, if both are allowed then either a BASIC story or a an ADVANCED story without variables/scripting/items. So basically just chapter use in adv editor. Which makes it fair for both sides.

CYS-IS Contest

15 years ago
The sites have formed a friendship once a common enemy was discovered.

And that enemies name is Megamantn.

CYS-IS Contest

15 years ago
Off with his head!!

Contest Cancelled LOL

15 years ago

Well there's been an "interesting debate" going on and the contest collaboration has basically been cancelled due to drama. (Current "winning" consensus is if you want to participate in the IS Contest you should join the site and submit something.)

It seemed at first like some people were recieptive to the idea, but I guess their were still some not quite hot on the idea. Oh well that happens.

Of course like any good "drama" this may or may not be the end of it. If anything changes as usual I'll keep you posted.

Contest Cancelled LOL

15 years ago
Still though, by all means please enter. We'd welcome the company. It's really no different than when EndMaster and I entered one of your contests not that long ago, it had to be on your site. Seems fair enough.

If anyone who is interested has trouble getting through the sign up process, let me know or something and I'll see if I can talk to the dude in charge to rush him a bit. Our dude in charge, by the way, actually exists. lol.

Contest Cancelled LOL

15 years ago

This apparently isn't happening; I apologize for the way this was handled. I've wanted to do a joint IS/CYS contest for some time now, and it is occasionally talked about, but it doesn't look like it will ever occur. A number of IS members seem to feel the only elegible entry should be one submitted to IS, that it should not be a true joint contest but an IS contest in which others can participate only by joining the community. In the midst of the discussion, the contest was abruptly called off entirely and the theme changed, apparently apropos of nothing. It seems short-sighted to me to hold ineligible any entry submitted on this site by those we legitimately invited to compete; to hold a contest spanning two sites is not terribly complicated, but there is the decision. As you were.

CYS-IS Contest

15 years ago

DEP, I thought we were friends!

CYS-IS Contest

15 years ago

After weeks of trying, I was finally able to register on the IS forum after its forum register ban was lifted over a week ago. However, I was still unable to post in any threads due to the administrator not having activated my user account for moderation. Now today the forum site doesn't even recognize my username or email address anymore and I had to register again. All talk of entering the contest on IS must be tempered by the impossibility of actually joining the IS forum community.

CYS-IS Contest

15 years ago
So... What's your username over there? I'll send a message to the man in charge.

CYS-IS Contest

15 years ago

urnam0

CYS-IS Contest

15 years ago
Are you in now? I thought I saw you logged in over there yesterday. Can you post? Give me some details please, and I'll pass them along.