Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

An epic tale

12 years ago

So, I've decided that I am going to write two stories with completion of the first with a perfect ending giving a password to start the second, akin to The Tower. The reason for such is that the tale would just be far too long to properly have in one story. I have just finished the choice mapping on an obnoxiously large piece of paper and have the story's skeletal structure completly assembled.

Unfortunately, I'm on a time crunch. In roughly a month and a half I get to go off to boot camp (yipee). As such I won't have access to a computer for several months. Thankfully, I'm a non-combat member of the airforce, so I will have a computer after basic training.  Being as it may, in no way could I finish both stories before I ship. I figure that I could possibly finish the first story before I leave, but I am afraid that it will be rushed by my standards unless I commit many summer days to non-stop writing.

Seeing as how many of you know more about writing than I do, what should I do?

An epic tale

12 years ago
Your other option would be to save that outline, and any other details you think of so that you can remember them, do a quality job on whatever you can manage to finish before you leave, and then start it up again when you get back to having a computer and time to do it.

An epic tale

12 years ago

I don't know, I was almost thinking of fleshing out the story as much as I possibly could without actually writing it, so when I get back I'd just type it up in a week or so. But if I could pull that off I could probably just finish it. hmmm

An epic tale

12 years ago

If you can finish one story, go for it, if you can finish both, I will be incredibly surprised. If you can finish one that is an accomplishment, but what I do for my story now is carry a notebook at all times because you never know when inspiration will strike. I've been on the bus before and I'll just zip open my backpack, take out my notebook, and start scribbling like a madman. I think Zikara read a thread about what happens when I try to think of names lol. Basically, don't try to force it, go for it if you can, but if you try to cram it,  it will probably not be the best quality. (There are a few exceptions of course, I heard 3J made OMS in three days)

On a side note, way to go with joining the Air Force, and try not to hate basic too much lol, in the AFJROTC, one of my friends came back to class to give a briefing about basic, so I hope your not modest because they make you stand out in the cold morning air in nothing but your underwear. Males are also issued tighty-whities and females granny panties, and if you wear glasses like me, you will be issued a BCG. That stands for Birth Control Glasses by the way lol. Plus you get fed worse than people in military prisons. I'm only 16 myself, but as I said before, I am in the local AFJROTC unit, and I plan to go into the Air Force as a JAG officer.

An epic tale

12 years ago
It also kind of depends what country your in the military for. I know a bunch of people in the Canadian Armed Forces and its not really like that here. Its still harsh, just maybe not embarrassing like that.

An epic tale

12 years ago

Oh, I didn't even consider the fact that he might be of a different nationality, I have been focused on entering the US Air Force my entire life so when he said he was joining the Air Force, I just assumed it was American. They embarrass you a lot in the US basic training so you won't be as embarrassed when you entire the Armed Forces and you won't be led to talk back to your commanders or anything.

An epic tale

12 years ago
Not, of course, that that would work.

An epic tale

12 years ago

That the preventing American soldiers from being a bunch of hotheads who mouth off to their commanders or him writing two stories before he ships off to basic wouldn't work? If it is about American soldiers, then it does work. Most of the people who make it past the screening and into basic do want to legitimately serve their country, and aren't just looking for an easy job (believe me, its not). So, when they do get into basic, it doesn't take long to reform them, so to speak, and those who wouldn't take the military seriously are normally weeded out. Of course, we both know exceptions (I know I do, but I live in a military town, I don't know the military presence where you live), but most of the people I know who went into basic come out completely different. I know my 3rd best friend my Freshman year (he was a Senior at the time) went in, then he came back to our JROTC unit the next year to do a briefing on it. He used to be a pretty big jackass, but when he came back he was mild-mannered and he actually found religion while he was in. That wasn't a point to making you more civil, just that basic reforms you, he actually said that he found Jesus in a pool of his own vomit lol, that was just his way of saying things.