Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Just started, it's a decent take on the school-horror genre:

High school students who have committed a crime, sent to a creepy locked-down school.  

Each student has had a body part related to their crime surgically removed from them.  

According to the teacher, one of the students isn't a real person at all, but a puppet built out of the removed parts.

They compete in tests to see who will earn the right to graduate and leave.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

How do we play?

Edit: Shit, just realized this isn't in Forum Games. 

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Yeah, I guess it would be a pretty cool forum game.  But it's a manga.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Cool, sounds like it could be a great story.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

It seems like it would be kinda obvious who the fake kid is.

"Hey, man, I've been meaning to ask. Why do you have stitches over every one of your major joints?"

"Oh, that's nothing. Just a bike accident. Nothing serious."

Dolls Code

9 years ago

If they can make a living body from human body parts, they can probably make the stitches disappear, ha ha.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Yeah, good point. It would require a large amount of human blood and so many steroids, though, to supress the immune system, which would surely reject the many various organs.

Well, if that was the case, then you would just have to look for the sickly, isolated kid.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

It's a manga, it doesn't have to be realistic.  One of the characters has no head, one has no internal organs, and one has a clockwork heart.  They should all be dead. 

Anyway, I wanted to know if anyone had read it so we could speculate on who the puppet is.  Right now I think it's one of the twins.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Oh, I thought you were writing a fan-fic on it on-site XD

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Isn't this the reading corner forum? 

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Yeah, but you just started off describing the storyline without ever telling us that's it's a manga you're reading...so it's not hard to get confuse. >.<

Dolls Code

9 years ago

So it's more likely to be a forum game that I put in the wrong place, than a book/manga that I'm reading?

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Well, of course. You never did say it was a manga, nor did you say you were reading anything. You just start out by describing the storyline of some story. You're also notorious for being a GM in the Mafia series, so it's not hard for people to put two and two together, and imagine that this is a new mafia game that you posted in the wrong section, about humans being possessed by dolls that control their actions! 

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Here's what I think:

The puppet is most likely male...because it has the rapist's penis. Of course, as I explain below, there's still a possibility it's female.

The puppet will have the MC's memories, two identical arms, two identical legs, the fat guy's viscera, the little girl's heart, Arrowhead's brain and head, and of course the rapist's penis. Or rather, it will have six of those things, since one of the aforementioned people is a puppet.

Of course, seeing how fucked up the story is, I'd wager that the little girl without a heart is the puppet. Because Japan just loves girls with male genitals (the rapist's penis). The problem is that we see the little girl at the beginning when the two kids are talking about all the students who go missing. My second guess is the main character. They already kinda shot that one down, but it would make an interesting plot twist if he found out that he isn't even a real person and that he helped the others for no reason. Thirdly, I would guess Arrowhead. He is always doing something on the computers. Of course, he could be hacking to find a way out for everyone.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Haha, the 'little girl' is a guy :P XD

Huh, I just thought if something. Wouldn't arrowhead recognize his head being used by someone else?

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Yeah, they're all guys.  Has to be that way right?

Maybe he does and he's just not saying?  Maybe whatever he's using for visual readouts doesn't "see" faces like that?

Dolls Code

9 years ago

I'm sorry, he/she/it looked very effeminate. Well, I believe they did call her/him Kanda-kun, and that actually explains how the whole mother-child sex thing worked.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Japan likes to do that.  Good catch on arrowhead.

Also, could the reason he can't identify them as twins be because one of them is the doll?!

Dolls Code

9 years ago

No, he said he couldn't see them at all. He had to ask the MC if they were actually identical. So, for some reason, he couldn't even check. He might be able to see infrared or like an object's silhouette, but not the actual, fine details.

Edit: Spoilers: Oh fuck, I think I just figured it out. Despite having seen pretty much all of the character's memories, one of the character's memories we have seen actually belong to the MC. The doll doesn't even know they are a doll because they have the MC's memories.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Wait, while we're on that. Why didn't they just ask arrowhead about his hair and eye color. I mean, they could use it to narrow down the search a little.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

If they can remove Yuuki's memories, or put Arrowhead's memories in another person's brain, I'm sure they could remove your memory of what your missing piece looked like.  Or break your brain so you can't come up with the idea to check everyone's parts or something.

Or, they're all dolls.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

No, Arrowhead says that he could tell his head if he could see.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

True. But unless they fuddled withy their brains, it's a sound plan just to check.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

He said he can't see, at least not in the same way we do. He wasn't even able to verify that the twins were twins.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Wait, by that same logic, why doesn't everyone just drop their pants and have the rapist guy try to tell which one is his penis? Then, the twins can check to see if the arms on that person are theirs etc.

Yes, I know it's a terrible idea to have the rapist do a penis check, but still.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

I guess we're assuming that medical science somehow made that impossible.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Well, yeah, but who wouldn't know his own penis? Or arms? I have scars all over my arms.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

"Well, yeah, but who wouldn't know his own penis? Or arms? I have scars all over my arms."

But we did kinda establish that this level of science seems to have been able to do surgery without massive scarring.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

It's not about scarring necessarily, but I'm nigh certain my, erm... Uh, appendage of men is different in size and figure than some other guys.

I think.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

I didn't mean scarring. I mean. Most people would notice a part of their body. If they saw it on another person. Moles, birthmarks, penis length, etc.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

That's probably what they should do, honestly XD

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Yeah, if Arrowhead can't tell which one has his head, then maybe Hazama can. Bad joke.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Super Sci Fi Frankenstein.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Speaking of, have you read Franken Fran?

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Nope. It is good?

Dolls Code

9 years ago

This Manga is messed up XP

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Which one, dolls code or franken Fran?

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Dolls code haha.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

I'm reading it. Don't spoil.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Well, I think I've figured something out. Spoilers below:

Snakehead has the character's memories. This is just a guess, but it seems to fit.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Who's snakehead? I'm terrible with these names.:P

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Headless guy. Said that his brain wasn't really even his and that he had his memories implanted in it. I guess what I should have said is that Snakehead has part of the MC's brain. Of course, I'm probably wrong.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Huh, that actually is sound reasoning. Only thing is that the MC (his name was Yuki or something) didn't lose his brain, so headless couldn't have his brain. Memories however... I mean, they're able to transport Headless's memories, so they coulda given him Yuki's too.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Or arrowhead was one of the twins, who had his memories altered. One of the twins you see is actually the puppet, made with snakehead's head and brain.

Dolls Code [Spoilers]

9 years ago

(You know what? Screw it, clicking the color button in my Ipad is annoying. Semi sorta spoilers below.)

No, I'm certain the twins aren't guilty. Why? Pay attention to their hands. One of them is missing his right, the other his left. That means that someone had to have gotten two good hands, but not them.

Dolls Code [Spoilers]

9 years ago

Hmm...interesting.

Dolls Code [Spoilers]

9 years ago

No, man.  That's exactly how it would be if one of them was the doll.

Say Hasu is real.  They take his left hand and give it to the doll.  Now Hasu has real right hand, fake left hand.  The doll then has fake right hand, real left hand.  Just like the twins do.

Dolls Code [Spoilers]

9 years ago

Ah, I see...

That would make sense then, since it would explain why they have different hands cut off (which is odd, since they're twins so both should have the same dominant hand which they did the crime with).

Dolls Code [Spoilers]

9 years ago

Well, yeah, but then also you could tell who was the doll because they had two right hands.

Dolls Code [Spoilers]

9 years ago

Ahh...but dominant hand isn't hereditary.

Dolls Code [Spoilers]

9 years ago

I thought most of it is.

Dolls Code [Spoilers]

9 years ago

Well, it might be, but it wouldn't be a stretch for them to have different dominate hands.

Dolls Code [Spoilers]

9 years ago

"dominant hand isn't hereditary"

What do you mean?  Lots of identical twins are "mirror twins" where one is right-handed and the other is left-handed.

Dolls Code [Spoilers]

9 years ago

Okay, it might be. According to...pretty much every valid source I can find...it is influenced by an assload, pardon my language, of things, including genetics.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

The translation I'm reading calls him arrowhead.  He said it was someone else's brain with his memories overwriting it.

ah, that would be a twist, if each of them had one if the others parts.

theres only 7 chapters available on the site I'm using. 

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Yeah, I'm using mangahere and it says Arrowhead.

Only has 6 chap on my site.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

I guess it is arrowhead. I'm on mangahere too.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Read the first seven. I...want...more!

Dolls Code

9 years ago

#8 is out!

Dolls Code

9 years ago

They're calling Arrowhead "Yatou" now.  

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Naw. According to mangahere they just changed his surname to the romanized form of his name.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

yeah, I know, but it's still different than what they were calling him.

English doesn't have this issue. . .

They actually addressed the exact point jamescoker made in the thread above.  haha.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Which point?

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Arrowhead says he considered that he might have Oku's memories.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Oh. Okay.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

New chapter came out!  But it says next time is the final chapter?  Already?

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Oof, what a good ending to the chapter. We don't know who's thinking that last thought. I think it'd makes sense for Yuki, Kanda, the stomachless dude, or Yatou to be thinking that, so we don't know. Probably Yuki or Kanda though.

So, I'm betting on either Kanda or Yuki. I'll be honest and say I don't want it to be Yuki, since it's too cliche. I dunno.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Another thought- if the doll is based off gears, why don't they just stab eachother and find out which one has clockwork inside?

Additionally... Hara-intestineless dude has a clockworkesque heart... Would it make sense to be him?

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Kanda (little blond kid) has the clockwork heart.  

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Hmm...

Little Aryan is totally the doll.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

We haven't seen a Yuki-based challenge, or a couple of the other guys.

Tezuka brothers had the "finding all their siblings" challenge, Kengo had the "stop Kengo from carrying out his plan," Kanda had "avoid Kanda's mother."

What if there isn't a doll?

Dolls Code

9 years ago

I think it's the rapist. I think that the main character was really the rapist, but the rapist character has the main character's memories. Why? Because Japan's pretty fucked up, that's why.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Possible.

But I think Kanda'd make sense, because Kanda looks to damn young to have actual intercourse with his mom.

Then again, as Seth said, it could be none of them are the doll, maybe even Sensei is the actual doll. I dunno.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

I thought sensei was the doll, but he explicitly said that it was one of the students. My bet's on the rapist.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

^_^

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Was that a bump, or do you just like Asian smiley faces?

Dolls Code

9 years ago

New (final) chapter.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Ohoho, good eye, Tan. Thanks.

Not sure how I was supposed to get that, from ^_^.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

You'll see.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

I'm six pages in. They're all puppets, aren't they?

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Not spoiling nothing.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

I read it. You were right. That still shocked me.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

It was great.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Yes, it just seems unlikely that a manipulative bastard like Kanda would just turn around and give his own life for the others, after everything he did just to screw them over, but Sensei did kinda lampshade that.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Yeah, I was kinda confused by that. But, there's gonna be an 11th chapter, so maybe they'll go over it.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

The last chapter of a manga is usually just trivia or extra artwork, sadly.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

They're all puppets? I can't read it til I get home from the con.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Not telling nothing, once again. It's a great ending, don't read this thread until you finish it yourself!

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Tollgate, read the thread already. . .  

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Don't read the things that are in white, genius :P

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Oh, okay, I didn't do that.  (Because I'm on a phone, and have no idea how to highlight anything,)

Dolls Code

9 years ago

What I do is copy and paste it into my notepad.

Don't do that though!

Dolls Code

9 years ago

So, did you spoil it for yourself?

Dolls Code

9 years ago

It's good. Didn't end like I was expecting it to. No spoilers.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Done!

Yeah, I can't tell if it's the translation or what.  I think it's supposed to be something like: Kanda manipulated his way into winning because he was ordered to, and he was so fragile/emotional because Sensei specifically wanted to see if the puppet could express those emotions.  His fake personality was really built from Yuki's memories.  The puppet itself had no heart.  At the end, he was finally able to have an emotion of his own.  Not wanting to kill Yuki was the first real feeling Kanda ever had. 

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Yeah, that's why I got from it.

Also, I was right! *bragbragbrag

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Eventually.

I think it's kinda hilarious that Yatou turned out to look like Kanda.  But- huge inconsistency:  Kanda is obviously the smallest character by far.  Tezuka-kyodai's arms and legs should have been extremely disproportionate . 

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Yeah, it seems like almost all of it coulda been avoided if they just looked at specific appendages for similarities. I dunno.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Like what Yuki said.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

I mean, both of my arms have distinguishing marks on them; I would definitely know if someone else had them,

Dolls Code

9 years ago

Like I said, they should have had the rapist do a penis check. Come on, why don't they think of this shit. XD

Dolls Code

9 years ago

I don't think the dick woulda fit Kanda anyhow, so it'd be pretty obvious XD

I dunno man.

Dolls Code

9 years ago

I mean, the Japanese can think of exploding wallets, toilet themed restaurants, and ways to kill animals, store them, and bring them back to life later...but they can't think "Hmm...maybe the rapist could tell us which one of us has his penis"?