Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Harlan Ellison finally ded

5 years ago
He was an asshole and should not be mourned. Wrote some pretty weird / interesting / cool shit though and with the other prolific author's from the Bradbury/Asimov/Heinlein era is in large part for science fiction being what it is today, for better or worse.

Out of all of them he had the catchiest titles, definitely, and I'll always appreciate the pretty cool game with the HATE monologue inspired by I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream, no other work has so accurately described the feelings I have for most of the internet most days .

E: the ending of the story is also how I picture most of the people on the internet

5 years ago

No Mouth was an absolute classic. Don't know much about his actual life or whatever. What'd he do?

5 years ago

Heard a lot of bitching about him being a hardcore misogynist, but I just got the impression he was a plain old misanthrope who was loud about his views.

5 years ago
Yeah, pretty sure he was just a perpetually angry dude who hated everyone equally. You don't have to dig too deep to pull up some examples of blow ups and falling outs he's had, I find it kind of endearing.

It was Heinlein that was the creepy one.

If anybody here ever followed Penny Arcade I remember Ellison even flipped out at one of them at some event in Seattle, which I hope Gabe felt appropriately honored by.