WatchNon-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Message

Discuss your favorite books.

Any Sci-Fi books with "realistic" aliens in them?

one month ago

When I say realistic, I really just mean interesting visually and conceptually. I need to get back into reading, but all of the books I've found with sapient and diplomatic aliens in them only have humanoid ones or "godlike" aliens with no real form. In a perfect world, I'm looking for something that has multiple distinct and thought out aliens like Becky Chambers' Wayfarer series, but with designs and backstories as fun (or funner) as Animorphs or Space Opera.

But really I just want a story on an alien world that isn't almost completely barren or taken over by humans. Or honestly any book where an interesting, alien species that isn't humanoid or just big evil bugs plays a fairly large role, and we get to see some of their culture and how they work.

one month ago
Not sure if it's quite what you have in mind, but I picked up a trilogy called Species Imperative, by Julie Czerneda, at a library sale right before the apocalypse happened. I'd only read first one before that, it was several years ago but it still held up pretty well rereading it.

Anyway it does have characters of several species, with a couple of them gone into in quite a bit of detail since their history the key to figuring out the whole mystery of the series. The protagonist is a biologist who has been focused on Earth ecosystems her whole life, with zero interest in the various alien species that humans are allied with, and so that's a big part of how she approaches learning about them when the plot happens and she suddenly has to. (and the author has a biology degree herself so that aspect of the character is done pretty believably)

I really liked the main character, she was pretty grounded with a good sense of humor without going overboard into being some action hero or whatever.

one month ago
Children of Time and Children of Ruin by Adrian Tchaikovsky would be a good fit. They focus on how an alien society rises influenced by its biological characteristics. They're a really good and insightful read.