Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

This is the Police

3 years ago
I'm totally going to do some reviews soon.

How soon depends on how long it takes me to beat This Is The Police and then play again to see how much branching it has.

This is the Police

3 years ago

Hey, I'm playing This is the Police too! So far the only branching I've seen is a choice between 2 different gangs. Trying to be an honest cop and going against the gangs just gets you killed. Honestly, I've just been fulfilling every request from the gang and from city hall without second thought since it's almost always beneficial gameplay-wise to do so, and it's gotten a bit boring.

This is the Police

3 years ago
I've still got a ways to go but it wasn't boring me at any point. I'm more inclined to roleplay things though so maybe that's what's helping keep it fresher for me. I've just been flat out ignoring the mayor for the most part for instance. I can't see the character being willing to play musical chairs with his entire department the whim of this obnoxious weasel, after he's already been forced into retirement.

The mafia guy I ignored occasionally too, when it made sense. Like no, I'm not going to have police just mysteriously not show up to a hostage situation at the courthouse. The nightmare of explaining that and all the attention would realistically override any benefit to letting Sand's men just get away with it.

The choice of which one to support would be colored a lot by the earlier decision about Kendrick I imagine. And I noticed you're not forced to respond every time there's an opportunity to get involved in the war. I'm just sort of muddling my way through right now but it seems possible to be a lot less involved with Sand than I have been.

This is the Police

3 years ago

Ah, well for the musical chairs thing, there's at least some sort of trade off. For instance, the mayor had me fire all of my black cops, and my most experienced cop happened to be black. In general though, it's still worth doing since you can get all 4 of your city hall requests approved if you keep the mayor happy, whereas if you don't, you might get 1 or 2, if any, approved. However, I'm talking moreso about the optional jobs like the mayor telling you to send a couple officers to guard a banquet at the city hall. There's literally no downside gameplay wise to do it. I'm willing to roleplay if there's a tradeoff, but if one option is blatantly better for gameplay, I'm not willing to roleplay unless there's further consequences down the line, which I don't believe there are. For instance, if my refusal to guard the city hall would lower the mayor's reputation, I might be willing to take a hit to my own reputation with the mayor in exchange. There are also jobs that should be ethical dilemmas like the record store owner that has you send some officers to take back valuable records from his ex by lying to her that you need them in a criminal investigation, and in exchange he gives you some money. There's no reason not to complete these missions since there's no consequence whatsoever to doing them.

The mafia situation before the gang wars is basically a balancing act of not pissing off the mafia to the point where they kill you while also not allowing them to kill too many people and thereby lowering your reputation with city hall. I satisfied every demand of city hall and the Sands, so even though the mafia killed a few people, my reputation with city hall remained high. I think if the game wants you to actually think about complying with the demands of the various factions, it would need to be rebalanced. In addition, even though you can roleplay the various mafia situations and decide based on each case whether to allow the crime to occur, the game doesn't really facilitate that kind of roleplaying. There isn't nearly enough individualization in the outcome of each scenario. It's always just "x people died, perps escaped" if you don't send anyone or "Christopher Sand calls you telling you he doesn't understand why you had to do what you did" if you do send police. To take the hostage situation as an example, if you do send police, it makes no sense that Sand wouldn't "understand" why you did it, and your reputation with Sand shouldn't drop the same amount if you stop his men from literally murdering people in a courthouse as if you stop them from a simple break-and-enter. The mafia is supposed to help me keep up a facade of lawfulness after all. Likewise, if you don't send police, there should be a full-on investigation into why you didn't send police to a hostage situation in a fucking courthouse. Instead, you just lose a little reputation with City Hall, the same amount as if you failed to respond to any other crime.

I hated Kendrick so I deliberately let the Sands kill him. You don't have to get involved in the gang war every time a mission pops up, but then the other side gets more points. The more you participate, the more points your side gets. The specifics of each particular mission matters very little. You just send some men to get some points. There's not even any risk of them getting hurt on the gang war missions. This was actually one of the most tedious aspects of the game for me up to this point. It also makes no sense to me why the other side doesn't try to assassinate you and install a more friendly police chief. Earlier in the game, (*spoiler if you haven't died yet*) the Sands were easily able to assassinate me while I was eating breakfast.

This is the Police

3 years ago
I'm going to be resuming playing this, so time for a thread split.

Put it aside after not making any progress for awhile (kept falling asleep at the keyboard like the narcoleptic boomer I am and missing calls) but I just finished the gang war and got hit with an interesting twist.

I know that besides HelpCon, Tim, Chris, and others have played this so no spoilers pls.

Still just blown away by how good the voice acting and writing is. This dude is the tired and washed up, overweight and unheroic police chief of every 80s movie and the intro just nails it. The actor they got is so perfect, and that goes for all the characters so far.

"Usually, before I go shakin my tits for the press, I like to go see how the professionals do it..."

Other than Japan, some of the only really fresh feeling games are coming out of Eastern Europe these days. (For the last several years, whatever, time has no meaning...) They just don't have the creative process bogged down with quite so much baggage, and the fans don't get to hijack the whole project and start making demands the way they so often do here.

I just hope the devs are okay, Belarus is obviously not a great place to be right now.

This is the Police

3 years ago

Jon St John is a pretty good voice actor. A vast distance from Duke Nukem.

This is the Police

3 years ago

Voice acting is indeed very good.