Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

War Thunder: A Tiger's Legend

7 years ago

Yup, another motivational thread. This one is specifically for Raven and his plan to make a story about a German tank ace who operates the Tiger heavy tank in Kursk (1943), later the King Tiger in the Battle of Berlin (1945). After several minutes of thinking, I decide to make the story here since this site has the best tools for that. This will probably be classified as edutainment since it's based on historical battles, records, real life servicemen, and stuff that happened in the Eastern Front despite most of the characters being fictional. Well... sort of like the movie 'Fury', but the Tiger instead of the Sherman Easy Eight.

War Thunder and how interesting WW2 is have inspired me to do this. Oh, and my love for those WW2 German big cats (Tigers and Panthers). Sure, Nazi Germany did nasty shits back then. But the fact is... that their engineering was great. Good thing we outnumbered them with 'Merican Shermans and Soviet T-34s. Thanks God Hitler was not that smart too. If they could produce even more Panthers, Tigers, and Hitler was not being a dumbass, we would be speaking German by now with the SS and Gestapo keeping an eye on us.

Not all Germans were Nazis though. The Wehrmacht was mostly just an army doing its job while the SS was the one who did the nasty stuff (and they are much more ideologically motivated). I believe the average Wehrmacht soldier believes that he is fighting for his homeland, his family, and to restore Germany to its former glory.

-----

The story of the protagonist is inspired by Otto Carius and Kurt Knispel. After suffering the hell in the Eastern front in his Panzer III as a tank commander, he eventually got to test out the new Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger tank in Leningrad. Finally, he got to taste what it's be like in a stronger tank, not getting wrecked by T-34s and KV-1s anymore.

He served in his Tiger in Operation Zitadelle, Kursk in 1943 (the largest tank battle in history) and later commanded a King Tiger in the defense of Germany in 1945.

He also disliked Nazism and Hitler. But well, he's fighting for the Fatherland. Several times he assaulted fellow soldiers and officers for mistreaties of civilians and the holocaust, but thanks to his friend in the Waffen SS and his remarkable skill, he escaped from the higher-ups' intentions to court martial him.

-----

I intend the story to be realistic and historical (some parts might still be somewhat unrealistic or 'likely and lucky' Fury-styled though). Learning tank tactics, tank armaments, weaknesses, etc will be crucial in some parts. For example, angling against a T-34/85 so that he has a harder time to penetrate the Tiger (at 500 meters, the 85mm has enough firepower to punch through the Tiger's armor, but angled at 30-45 degrees, it will be near impossible to penetrate) , sidescraping buildings, hull down and choosing good positions, rangefinding, targeting enemy tank's weak spots, etc. The Tiger is a good tank, but it's not Godly tank.

I'll put guides and short articles in the storygame. However, I'm afraid that readers that don't have much knowledge about tanks and WW2 will get confused. But well, the storygame is primarily focused toward for those who like WW2, tanks, and War Thunder or World of Tank players. So... yeah, I'll try to make it like the tales of those tank aces or the movie Fury.

I'm gonna put progress and stuff of it here.

Oh, and please, no political discussions here.

7 years ago

First page of the storygame:

"Mein Fuhrer," Colonel general Heinz Guderian, commander of the 2nd Panzer division asked.

"Is it really necessary to attack Kursk, and indeed in the east this year? Do you think anyone even knows where Kursk is? The entire world doesn't care if we capture Kursk or not. What is the reason that is forcing us to attack this year on Kursk, or even more, the Eastern Front?"

"I know," Hitler answered. "The thought of it turns my stomach."
Guderian concluded, "In that case your reaction to the problem is the correct one. Leave it alone."

-----

The conversation took place in the spring of 1943. It wasn't that often Hitler feel nervous like this. German army succumbed to the Russian winter and slowly losing grounds. Operation Barbarossa was a fail. Hitler didn't learn from Napoleon Bonaparte. And the German army mounted another offensive yet again.

Operation Citadel, or better known as the Battle of Kursk -- the largest and bloodiest tank battle in history. Many lifes of both sides were lost during the battle. 

At the early part of world war two, the blitzkrieg attack of Nazi Germany was a success. They caught their opponents off-guard, made the British to retreat and left a lot of their equipment at Dunkirk, conquered most European nations, and eventually went to Africa, where Erwin Rommel led the Afrika Korps to fight against the Commonwealth and American forces there.

Hitler also ignored the treaty between him and Stalin and started Operation Barbarossa and attacked Soviet Union. It seemed successful at first. But then, Allied forces gained initiative and Germany started to weaken.

How lucky the German soldiers who died in France, Poland, Greece, or the other fronts at the early stage of the war. At least they knew they will be victorious and brought glory to the Fatherland. Eastern front was a different story.

Soviet T-34 and KV-1 tanks wrecking Panzer IIIs and Panzer 38s, Russian Winter, freezing to death, starving, Stalingrad, bloodier warzones, losing a lot of friends, and many other things that soldiers don't like.

It wasn't until Kursk where Germany upgunned and uparmored their panzers. Panzer IVs were being upgunned with the new 75-milimeter Kwk 40 main gun. which has superior penetration compared to the 76-milimeter F-34 of the T-34s. Frontal armor was also increased from 50 to 80-milimeter thickness. New tanks such as the Tigers and Panthers were also built.

Despite that, Germany lost Kursk, and they can't afford to replace all of their losses. The tide of the war was turned after that...

What Hitler did during world war two was very horrible. But not all German soldiers were Nazi sympathizers. Most of them were just 
the average soldiers fighting for their homeland.

Germany's engineering remained to be regarded as better compared to their enemies. One of the most well-known was...

Panzerkampfwagen VI "Tiger" heavy tank. Simply referred as the Tiger.

Probably the most iconic and popular heavy tank of world war 2, aside from IS series and Pershing. This tank was a feared behemoth in the battlefield. It was very expensive, overengineered, had some reliability problems, and only around 1.300 Tigers were built. But they have good performance and their psychological effect caused "Tigerphobia" among the Allied forces.

First seeing action in Leningrad and all the way to Battle of Berlin, the Tiger is a piece of engineering not to be underestimated.

And this is the tale of Tiger "147" in Operation Citadel, Battle of Kursk. Commanded by Ernest Gunther.

7 years ago

I'm looking forward to how this turns out. I have a soft spot for both tanks and Edutainment, so it's right up my alley. I appreciated your plausible approach to combat in your first game, where results of decisions were pretty logical compared to many games that rely too much on luck, so it'll be fun to see how you approach tank combat.

7 years ago

To be honest, I think it was more arcadey rather than logical or realistic. Though for this one, I'll try to be more logical since it's a historical story and provides some education of WW2 too.

But on the other hand, there might be easter eggs referencing to WW2 games and War Thunder, or 'unbelievable' miracle such as a T-34 surviving an 88mm from the side because.... Gaijin, lol. But it only happens once or twice. Just.... consider things like that a great luck.

Ludwig Bauer drove several tanks and all of them are destroyed. His crews died, but he didn't. That's a miracle or great luck. True story.

7 years ago

I enjoy enough luck to keep things from getting stale, and it adds replayability, so having something miraculous happen could spice things up. Whether you want to call it arcadey or logical, I felt your progression of crazy situations made sense for most of the actions I messed around with. 

If I had any criticism, I would make victory or defeat less clear-cut for your next game. Layers of decisions that lead to an end result, which may not be death right now, but consequences that make you more likely to die later. Like having crew members or other allies die, making the next battle harder.

7 years ago

That would be more time-consuming. I don't want to overwork myself on here. But thanks for the suggestion.

Having only three men to operate a tank? Of course it is more ineffective with the absent of commander and radio operator. One of the guys will have to assume multiple roles, and a driver is not as trained as the gunner when operating the main gun.

7 years ago

That's a fair point. It's important to keep a project scale realistic, to make sure it can be completed. We're both busy now, but someday we could discuss a collaboration, since I enjoy working on gamey combat mechanics. 

I'm not sure how you'll be approaching combat variables, but if you lose the gunner, then you might see a decrease in firing accuracy for example. Since tank crews are small, even minimal effects could make things interesting. The tank might be blown up in one situation, but it'd be fun to see the occasional negative results that weren't instant death and game over too.

7 years ago

I won't be using scripting nor variables. So you fail if:

- All crew members died

- Some crew members died, and the rest abandon the tank

- Tank knocked out

- Tank destroyed

Also, T-34/76 medium tanks have four-men crews while German tanks have five-men crews. The commander of the T-34 does both shooting and commanding, thus putting more stress. The commander in German tanks only does his job (commanding). German tanks also have radios while many Soviet tanks lack radios.

So German tanks are more responsive compared to Soviet tanks and are more organized. You can use that to your advantage. Not to mention better visibility and optics too.

But still... German tanks are not alien to Soviet tanks.

7 years ago

Sounds like a solid plan. 5-man crews is a lot of flexibility to work with, and since this is a tank-focused game, losing through those methods would seem fair since the tank would be lost in some form.

Variables can be really helpful in triggering different what-if combinations, even with zero scripting. But you can achieve similar results manually too, so it sounds like you have it worked out.

It'll be fun to see how the different tank specs, features (like radios), crew sizes, and such will come into play.

7 years ago

Yeah, probably will use some variables too.

T-34 has cramped interior. A shot through the front will be lethal since the crews are grouped close together. Meanwhile, Panzer IV has more spacious interior and not cramped. But a penetrating shot to the front has a chance make the ammo racks stored inside to explode.

Tiger and Panther tanks also have their ammo racks stored in the side of them. Try not to get shot from the side since the 80mm side armor can be penetrated by the 76mm in close range and has a chance to detonate the ammo rack.

A shot to the rear will break the engine and able to set the tank on fire.

A shot the turret? Can disable the aiming drive of the tank or disabling main gun.

Lower glacis? Can break the transmission of the tank.

85mm and 152mm guns are the biggest foes. Avoid getting shot by those and angle your armor for better protection. 57mm can also be a problem at close range since it can penetrate the front armor of the Tiger at around 100 meters. Oh, and molotov cocktails...

Kursk is a big place with not many cover. A playground for your Tiger since it's most effective in long range combat, but you also have to play the role of a heavy tank -- thus covering the lighter tanks and infantry by being the spearhead. The Tigers are effective, bur the Panthers during Kursk were... unpleasant due to mechanical problems. But still great medium tanks.

And when the Tiger has to fight in urban areas, bring the grenadiers to support your tank. You don't want to get a nasty surprise by Soviet AT guns and infantry. Sidescraping buildings and angling increase your survivability too since you're abusing the law of physics and having good all-round armor. The driver of Gunther's Tiger is a skilled one that knows how to put the tank in a good position.

When threats are eliminated, secure a village and rest with the rest of the company. But Ivan can attack anytime soon, so Fritz gonna have to be cautious as always.

That's how I describe the scenario.

7 years ago

Here's the first page of the introduction:

July 1943
Oberstleutnant Ernest Gunther, Tiger “147”
503rd Heavy Tank Battalion, 3rd Panzer Division

-----

“Driver, halt.”

As the tank commander said, the driver stopped the Tiger tank. A shell from a hidden Soviet anti-tank gun hit the front armor of the Tiger. But the 76-milimeter failed to penetrate its 102-milimeter thick armor and richocheted up to the sky. The driver turned the tank at 30 degrees angle and turned off the engine.

“Gunner, stand by,” said the commander.

The gunner pointed the 88-milimeter main gun to the direction of the enemies.

“AT gun near the bushes, range – five hundred meters. Fire when ready,” the commander continued.

The gunner measured the range and tilted the gun a bit upward.

“Target acquired. Firing,” said the gunner.

An enormous sound erupted as the 88-milimeter fired. The high explosive shell raced pass the green field and landed beside the anti-tank gun. The blast blew up the anti-tank gun and killed the crews. The Tiger tank continued to shoot the remaining targets as shell by shell hit the angled armor of the Tiger with little to no effect.

Soviet anti-tank guns had been eliminated. The other panzers advanced through the green field supported by mechanized infantry – panzergrenadiers. The panzergrenadiers eliminated the Soviet infantry hiding in the trenches with automatic weapons and grenades as the armors went through. The formation of Panzer IIIs behind the Tiger tanks destroyed the Soviet machinegunners entrenched in the pillboxes. With the machine gun nests destroyed, the panzer grenadiers got out from their cover and continued to advance.

Remaining Soviet forces retreated to the last line of defense – the fourth line.  Their infantrymen were well-covered in the trenches and pillboxes. 57-milimeter anti-tank guns were hiding behind sandbags and their cannons roared. They took out some of the Panzer IIIs behind the third line. Hulled down SU-85 tank destroyers also knocked out one of the Tigers. Several panzergrenadiers were also killed by the machine gunners in the fourth line.

Tiger tank “147” and the other Tigers stood behind the third line. As the manual said, they angled their Tigers at 30 degrees angle to increase armor effectiveness. This also increased the chance of being shot in the tracks, but better a disabled tank rather than a dead tank.

“SU-85 beside the pillbox. Range – three hundred meters. Panzergranate laden!” Ordered the commander to the gunner through the radio intercom between crews.

“Loading!” The loader yelled, loading an armor piercing round.

“AP loaded! Ready to fire!” The loader again.

“Fire when ready!” The commander said.

The gunner fired a shot to an SU-85 beside the pillbox. The armor-piercing shell pierced through the hull and the explosive filler exploded inside, destroying the internal compartment and killing three of the crews. The tank burned down in flames after that. The remaining crew jumped out from the tank and escaped before the tank exploded.

Other Tigers destroyed or knocked out the rest of the SU-85 tank destroyers. Some Panzer IVs destroyed the anti-tank guns and the machine gun nests. With the fortifications destroyed and anti-tank threats eliminated, the Panzer IIIs continued to advance with the panzergrenadiers.  The Panzer IIIs bombarded the trenches with high explosive shells and the surviving Soviet soldiers were wiped out by panzergrenadiers.

The Tigers roared their engine and proceeded to catch up with the rest of the panzers. The panzergrenadiers occupied the fourth line and checked for any survivor. The retreating Soviet soldiers were all wiped out by machine gun fires from the Panzer IIIs.

7 years ago

As with my storygame before, there will still be character changes. Mainly playing as the Tiger, but sometimes also the Panzergrenadiers. Infantry support is important too.

And I'm planning to add a few scenes from Soviet perspective too before switching back to German. Since it's a historical and edutainment too, it would be nice for the reader to learn some things from the Soviets and other stuff too, not just Germans. Such as Partisans, civilians, day-to-day soldier's life, etc.

7 years ago

So I decided to use some German terms since we're playing on the German side. And the radioman got shot and is to be replaced by a new recruit. This should be a good intro for the storygame.

-----

All Soviet forces were neutralized. The Germans were victorious. Thanks to their Tiger tanks, they inflicted four times more casualties. Without the Tigers, they would have still won, but with even more lives to pay for. Even though were victorious, the German soldiers still swept across the trenches throughly and eliminated Soviet tanks to look out for any more survivors.

A lot of the German tanks stopped behind the trenches. They turned off their engines and some of the crews got out from their tanks. Most of them checked their tanks for any damage and scratches while a few of them helped the soldiers in their search for survivors.

Tiger 147 stopped behind a pillbox, which had been turned to rubbles by a Panzer IV's 75mm HE round during the firefight. The driver turned off the engine. The hatches opened with a series of clangs and the crews got out, each carrying an MP40 submachine gun on their back.

"Dienhard, you go check her for any damage and scratches. The rest of you can rest for a while. Ivan might be dead, but we still got plenty of things to do," ordered the tank commander.

"Jawohl," the crew responded.

Soon, the gunner checked and analyzed the damages that the Tiger sustained throughout the fight. The other crew members sat beside the tank, bantering with each other. The tank commander went to the trenches.

The sky was blue and the weather was quite hot. Pigeons landed over the corpses of both sides. The green field used to be a good scenery until the war broke out. Then, the scenery was ruined by trenches, tanks, craters, smokes, and blood.

Chatting with fellow crew members wasn't fun enough. After some minutes, the radio operator of the Tiger decided to look around a knocked out T-34. He walked near one and climbed on it, checking the large hole on the side of the turret, inspecting the German handiwork.

Unbeknownst to him, a Soviet soldier was laying below the tank, hiding with his Mosin bolt-action rifle. He peeked around to see if there were any Germans nearby. He didn't see anyone so far. So far so good.

But the Soviet soldier also wasn't aware about the radio operator of the Tiger standing around the knocked out T-34. The roaring noise of the Panzer IV engines did not allow him to hear much around him. He crawled out from the tank and attempted to escape undetected.

The young Soviet rifleman's heart pounded heavily. He carefully walked to the side of the T-34. He saw the unaware German tank crew checking the hole on the T-34's turret. He didn't think that the radioman noticed him, so he tried to slip past him while still keeping an eye on him.

But the Tiger tank radioman jumped off from the tank and noticed the Soviet soldier. Panicked, the Soviet soldier pulled the trigger of his Mosin. The shot went thtrough the Tiger crew's stomach. He collapsed and the rifleman ran away.

"Help me!" The radioman yelled as loud as possible, slowly succumbing to the deadly wound.

"Shot fired!" A panzergrenadier shouted.

The panzergrenadier saw the Soviet rifleman running across the plain field. He brought his Kar98k rifle up to his cheek and aimed down the sight. Leading the target by a couple inches, he squeezed the trigger. The round went straight through from the back to his heart, instantly killing him.

The panzergrenadier rushed to the fallen tank crewman and checked his wound. He was badly wounded. Weak pulse. He screamed for a medic.

"Krankentraeger! We need a goddamn medic!" He shouted as he tried to stop the bleeding.

"Hang in there, my friend. Just hang in there. The doc will come soon."

7 years ago

Not really my wheelhouse, but it looks alright. Keep up the good work. 

7 years ago

So... to the people that are just as WW2 nut as me (the tank 'gamers' community, which has a lot of guys that are military nuts and historians), the intro part won't teach you much. Rather it's the chit-chatting between crew members, sharing their experiences (From getting rekt by T-34 into rekking T-34), puppy (Well... y'know... puppies are adorable... there's nothing wrong with adopting stray dogs during a war, right?), talking with the panzergrenadiers, and preparing for battle.

The next assault will begin on a small village. The battlefield will be based on War Thunder's Kursk map with some tweaks, such as trenches and defensive lines being set around the villages and more bushes and trees. The Russians receive some equipment to handle the German tanks, but the Germans also get some new Panther tanks (but a lot of them broke down). So...

Soviet's Reinforcements:

- Additional supplies, Russian troops are now better-armed with even more AT weapons

- More M1A1 Bazookas from 'Murica

- More 57mm guns (T-34/57s and ZIS-2s)

- Derps. ISU-152s and a few KV-2s to counter German big cats

- More T-34s to defend the Motherland

- More SU-85s to counter German big cats

German's Reinforcements:

- Some Panther tanks

- More Panzer IVs and Stugs

- More supplies are to be delivered, but halted due to Partisan activities. The Germans are forced to mount an offensive with all they got. All hopes are put to the Tigers and Panthers.

7 years ago

And in Kursk, is where the Panthers started their trials. The first version of the Panther line, Panzerkampfwagen V Panther Ausfuehrung D.

Regarded as the best medium tank of WW2 and the inspiration for modern main battle tanks. It was made in 1943 as a counter to T-34s. The front is 80mm thick, but sloped, giving it 110-130 thickness, more protected than the Tiger. However, the side and rear are vulnerable with only being 40mm thick. It is also quite fast for its size and weight. The 75mm Kampfwagenkanone 42 has more penetration than the Kwk 36 on the Tiger, but less explosive filler.

The D is the first version, so it was plagued with mechanical problems at first...

Sure, great frontal armor, great gun, good mobility. But the mechanical problems ruined it.

The problems were fixed in later A and G models. Then, it shined.

Panther's turret is not as strong as the Tiger though, so it can be penetrated by Soviet's 57 and 85mm guns. But the Soviets didn't know about the Panther much at this time, so they will have less knowledge on its weakspot.

-----

Meanwhile, the main tanks of the German army by this point is the Panzer IV Ausf. H. It replaced the aging Panzer III, which has been reverted to secondary roles such as infantry support.

75mm Kwk 40 cannon is able to punch through the T-34's armor from long range. The 80mm front armor is effective at long range, but can be penetrated at shorter ranges. Overall, the Panzer IV is a good tank. Not to mention the side skirts help against shaped charge rounds and protect the tracks too.

Stalin doesn't give a shit, he'll just continue to spam T-34s. You kill one, five to ten of them appear. In the end, Germany will lose.

7 years ago

Did some more research on the Tiger to ensure better accuracy. So here are the roles of the crew members

Tank Commander

---

“I’ve never asked to be the one who lead the tank. I preferred to be the gunner. But orders are orders. I can’t resist it. I wasn’t the type of guy who talks a lot. Rather, I was an introvert, just like you. So… as a tank commander, I started to talk more. My crews and I got along quite well. Good thing we were all one of the best trainees.

Being a tank commander is the most exhausting job. You have to spot, direct your crews, and make sure you do the right thing. The crews have to have faith on each other.  But the commander is the most important. He has the biggest responsibility and hardest job.

It’s even more tedious if you’re a commander inside a tank with less than five crews. You will have to assume two roles at once. Thanks God I was in a Panzer III, not in one of those Czech steels. I pity those poor lads who were the commanders and had to assume two roles at once.”

“Who do you think is the most valuable crew member?” Leon asked.

“I’d say the driver. A good driver knows how to put the tank in a good position. He also knows how to maintain the tank well – keep it up and running. Tigers are cumbersome, and they like to break down in long marches. Good thing my platoon is consisting of experienced drivers, so we haven’t experienced any break downs in combat.”

“And uhh… how are you and your crews? I mean, the relationship?”

“Still going quite well, as usual. Sometimes, I help them in maintaining our tank and loading ammunition. You gotta keep their morale in check, y’know.”

Gunner

---

“I was a mathematic genius in school. I got good scores on math. I love numbers. Many kids told me to eat numbers instead of food. When I joined the Panzer Corps and passed as one of the best trainees, they regretted.”

“Eh, I’m never good at math. I prefer art and languages,” Leon replied.

“So you’re the definite opposite of me, huh? Anyway, a good gunner knows how to measure distance and aim the gun well. Measuring distance requires a bit of mathematics. And you have to predict the shell drop. I’ve shot the 88 often, so I’m already used to it. But at longer distances, a bit of math is required to precisely land a hit.”

“From what I’ve heard, you seem to be a great gunner.”

“Seem? Nah, I AM a great gunner, you know. I’m one of the best gunners in the whole army in the Eastern Front! Though I think there’s that one guy that’s better than me…”

“Who is he?”

“Balthasar ‘Bobby’ Woll. He’s the gunner of Michael Wittmann from the 1st SS Panzer Division.”

“Michael Wittmann?”

“Some stories about him. He’s an ace, just like Gunther. He’s as good as Ernest, or maybe somewhat better. Bobby is also a top notch.”

“Did you meet him?”

“Nah, never.”

Loader

---

“Being a loader is a boring and exhausting job, and it sucks that you can’t view outside your tank. You have to open the loader’s hatch to look around, but Ivan will probably already shot you by the time you pop up. Well… looking around is the job of the commander anyway, and I’m just sitting loading ammo most of the time. Yes, there is a vision slit located in the turret wall to my right. But still… I barely can see anything.

I also operate the coaxial MG34, and I don’t like it. The MG is placed too close to the main armament. Reloading it takes too much time.”

“Well… I feel bad for you.”

“Hey, at least I can just relax while everyone has to be aware during a march, right?”

“And what if Dienhard is absent or dead?”

“Then I’ll take his position, and you will be the loader.”

“Hmm… sounds legit.”

“You’re already a tankman, why the hell I’m explaining this?”

“Errr… I’m a new guy, and I’ve barely seen action. My training wasn't that good, actually. It was rushed."

Driver

---

"Being a driver is tougher than you think. It's like driving a car, but more complicated. At my fingertips are 700 horsepower, 60 tons of steel, 30 meters per hour top speed on tarmac, 15 in rough terrain, and 13 feet underwater. Plus, more limited visibility and more complicated to maintain.

I'm the one who mostly do the maintenance of the tank too. I treat her like my cat, and she remains like a real Tiger to the Russians."

"Cats? I like cats. I'm not a war person, but I like this cat," Leon said, smiling.

"Everyone likes the Tiger. Though she can be a bit naughty sometimes... you know..."

"Like what?"

"She likes to break down in long marches. She drinks fuel like it's beer. It takes 530 liter for a full fuel tank. That's about twenty seven jerry cans or three barrels. Though we haven't experienced any break downs during combat, and that's a good thing. Our platoon also has experienced drivers."

"What about driving the tank?"

"It's a cumbersome killing machine. It's not as maneuverable like the Panzer III and IV, though it's fairly fast for a heavy tank. Faster than the KV. And on rough terrain or muddy environment, this thing is more mobile than most medium tanks due to its wider and stronger tracks. A good driver knows how to put the tank in a good position. He also knows how to angle the tank well."

"What about turning the tank instead in order to angle?"

"Do it too much and you'll damage the suspension. So reversing or accelerating and turning the tank to 30 degrees is better than turning the tank in place. With the more and more SU-85s I see, angling becomes more important."

7 years ago

Some people think Russian soldiers just charge German positions with endless waves of them and if they retreat, they will get shot by their own men.

Barrier/Blocking troops were used from 1941, but not routinely and everywhere (with the exception of Penal Battalions, where there WILL always be barrier troops). So tactical retreats still happened within the Red Army.

Later in the war, NKVD barrier troops were disbanded due them being 'a waste of resources and manpower'. But there were still barrier troops for the penals.

Why bother shooting your own soldiers if you can send them to penal battalions anyway? So yeah... they usually sent those soldiers to penal battalions instead of shooting them.

So here are the crews' thoughts about the USSR.

I think I'll skip the intro and tutorials and start making up the battles before continuing them.

---

COMMANDER

“The Bolsheviks? They’re brave, tough men willing to die for the defense of their Motherland. But they’re also quite savage, like barbarians. I’ve heard ‘em executing POWs quite often. So we did the same. I fought in Stalingrad once, and mein Gott, it was fucking hell. You’ll see corpses in every goddamn city block. Brutal close-quarter fighting. I was lucky to still be alive.”

“What about Stalin?”

“I don’t have much to say about him, but some of the citizens seem to hate him. At first, they thought we came as liberators from Stalinism. But no, we’re here to invade Russia, get rid of Bolsheviks, and make glory for the Fatherland. I’m all for restoring Germany to its former glory, but there’s something I don’t like…”

“Umm… the Fuhrer?”

“I think we shouldn’t attack Russia at the first place. We’re already losing Africa, and now the Eastern Front. He’s not a good leader, and he’s...”

Gunther paused for a moment.

“What is it?”

“Umm… you know… inhuman actions… I’d rather not to talk about it for now.”

“What?”

“Umm... nevermind. Forget it."

GUNNER

“The Russians are not as capable as us, but they’re still strong enough to put up a good fight. T-34s and KV-1s on Barbarossa were real son of a bitches. And they really know how to hide AT guns well. We often get shot first before we know where they are. A lot more annoying than tanks.”

“Their infantry?”

“I respect their bravery. Once they rushed our Panzer III with and threw molotovs at us. We were lucky that nobody was injured and the tank didn’t burn out. We fired several high explosive shells and sprayed our machine guns. Some of them managed to get on our tanks, so Ulrich drove the tank through a house to shake them off. Ernest managed to kill one trying to open the hatch with his MP40.”

“So they fight like a warrior would.”

“Yeah, tough and brave men. I respect that.”

LOADER

“They come like roaches. You kill one, another two or more appear. They don’t have much problem replacing casualties even though they lost many. Meanwhile, we don’t have the capability to replace all our losses.

Stalin seems to be a dick, but so does the Fuhrer for killing my Jewish friend.  But I don’t give a shit much about them and politics. I want to survive and continue my education and make my mom proud, that’s all.”

DRIVER

“A lot of guys, weapons, vehicles, and some bravery that we will never match in numerical superiority. That’s how I describe them. But there's something behind it all..."

"What is it?"

"Blocking detachments, I think. We also already have penal battalions, but they have them too.

The soldiers said that they saw Russian soldiers retreating to their lines but got shot by their own men. They thought the Russians are not allowed to retreat.

But on some other cases, they said they saw the Russians were retreating and their men didn't shoot them. I wonder why.

Maybe it depends on their commanding officer... I'm not sure."

"What about Stalin?"

"Some of the Russians seem to hate him, especially the ones who come from farmer families and villagers. I talked to a prisoner once. He said that his parents were exiled because they opposed giving their lands and resources for the Red Army.

Stalin is a dictator. If he disagrees with something, he'll get rid of it, he said.

He liked men like myself more, and he was willing to join the Ostbattalion."

"Ostbattalion?"

"Military units that are made up of people from the Soviet Union and they are under our command. Many are recruited of POW camps.

Some are coerced to serving while the others volunteer. Another reason to join is the poor condition of the POW camps."

"So they are fighting their own side, huh?"

"Yup. It isn't uncommon for them to hate Stalin too. Though we don't trust them much, so they act as reserves and used for secondary duties, like anti-partisan operations and guarding our rear-lines.

One of them said that he'll likely get executed if he gets captured by his own men for betrayal anyway. "

7 years ago

So it's time for me to continue this. Time to write up some character development.

---

Tiger 147, a not-so-normal tank filled with young, not-so-normal veterans. They are one of the best crews of the entire heavy tank battalion.

The tank commander -- Ernest Gunther, is an officer who has just been promoted from a leutnant to an oberstleutnant. He gets promoted quite quick for his battlefield finesse and performance. From unteroffizier to unterfeldwebel in Barbarossa, and from leutnant to oberstleutnant just before Operation Citadel (Battle of Kursk).

He still has much to learn about leadership. But he treats his men well and he doesn't mind getting closer in his relationship with the panzer crews under his command. In fact, he doesn't like to be addressed like a higher up all the time.

He is a talented tank commander and gunner. Being able to direct the tank in a way that no other tanker could. He also makes for a great general infantryman despite his role as a panzer crew.

He is a twenty three year old young man of an average height with brown hair, brown eyes, clean shaved, and a slender build.

Born as the only child of a chef and a tailor, he was a problem child during his childhood. Often having problems at school. Due to his grades and the family economical condition, he couldn't afford to attend a university. He tried doing jobs like being a worker, cleaner, and such. But for certain reasons, he always ended up doing bad.
Seeing the outbreak of WW2 and Nazi party rising to power as a chance, he volunteered in the Wehrmacht as he hoped to get a suitable job for him. He did, and he found that being a panzer crew is "the best job he ever had."

As the war continued, he eventually got sick of the situation and condition. He would normally smoke to take the edge off, but it's not enough.  Plus, after secretly witnessing the worse atrocities committed by Germany (particularly the SS), he started to question his reason of fighting as a soldier.
He fights for his homeland, not the Nazi party and that man with a narrow mustache.

As he witnessed more and more reality of war, he started to be more savage and ruthless, being more common in shooting retreating or surrendering enemy soldiers. He tried to not hurt civilians though. As he killed more and more Red Army soldiers ruthlessly, he eventually regretted his actions and would smoke or drink to forget about it. But he couldn't.

He is a complex person. Killing enemies ruthlessly and enjoying doing his job, but on the other hand helping Russian civilians from the atrocities committed by other Germans. Sometimes acting nice to POWs, and sometimes just shoot them and be done with it.

A lost or damaged soul who is unsure about himself.
He is inspired by real life panzer aces such as Otto Carius and Kurt Knispel, as well Wardaddy (Brad Pitt) in the movie Fury.

-----

The gunner -- Arnold Dienhard is a hot-tempered, but nice twenty four year old with black hair, gray eyes, and a goatee. He is very good in mathematics, and it helps him in calculating range to ensure hit probability of the 88mm Kampfwagenkanone 36 gun of the Tiger.

A skilled gunner. Being able to hit targets and measure the drop accurately and even better -- firing the gun with better accuracy whilst on the move. It is hard to hit targets while on the move, but he has mastered this difficult technique.

A student with good grades who was attending a university before he enlisted in the Heer.

-----

Sven Rader is the tank's loader. A tall twenty year old with blond hair, blue eyes, like a true fucking Aryan. He might seem a nice guy at first, but he's actually a hot-tempered guy who doesn't like his role but he does his job well.

The strongest crew member since he needs those muscles for loading the 88mm shells. Also as good as Ernest using infantry firearms and doing infantry works, but that doesn't mean the other crews aren't good.

-----

The driver, Ulrich Rockower, a twenty two year old with black hair, black eyes, is a former racer. Being a former racer helps a lot in doing his job. He knows how to treat the Big Kitty really well, and he treats her like he treats his cat.

He is also the most religious crew member other than the new guy.

-----

Lastly, Leon Bauer -- the radio operator and assistant driver. He was in a Panzer III before he transitioned to Tiger 147 to replace the wounded radio operator. He doesn't have much experience, and he still has much to learn.

He is a short seventeen year old with a blond hair which is a bit longer than the regulation, blue eyes, and a scrawning body. He also has a baby, feminine face. So he will be the guy who does the serving drinks, cooking, tending, things like that most often.

At first, he has hesitation in killing and worried in the battlefield. But Ernest keeps encouraging him to be a better soldier. Eventually, he becomes one and starts to enjoy his job.
He acts as one of the two primary protagonists, other than Ernest Gunther.

7 years ago

A page of Chapter 2: Scouting Ahead

---

30 minutes later…

Obersleutnant Ernest Gunther bid farewell with his crews and went to his staff car. He met up with his associate for this recon mission, Leutnant Eric Krueger.  Leutnant Krueger was a commander of a Tiger tank platoon, just like Ernest. Eric saluted him as Ernest showed up.

“Oberstleutnant,” Krueger said.

“Leutnant Krueger,” Ernest replied, saluting him too before both officers lean beside the Kubelwagen, a four-door utility car.

“A good day for the offensive, isn’t it?” Ernest said.

“Yeah, it is.”

“By the way, where are the scouts?”

“They should be here soon… oh wait, here they are,” Krueger said, pointing at the group of infantrymen coming to them.

The scouts saluted at the officers, and they saluted back. The scouts were specialized soldiers trained to do reconnaissance duties. There were eight men. Three riflemen armed with Karabiner 98K bolt-action rifles, a radioman and artillery observer with an MP40 submachine gun, a sniper with a scoped Karabiner 98K, an MG42 machine gunner, an anti-armor specialist with the newly produced Panzerschreck anti-tank rocket launcher, and finally the squad leader with an MP40 submachine gun.

An Sdkfz 222 armored car and Opel Blitz truck pass by. The 222 is armed with rapid-firing 20mm cannon and a coaxial MG34 machine gun, acting as a reconnaissance vehicle and infantry support while the truck carries the scouts.

"Unteroffizier Arnold Voss, at your service. My men are good to go," the squad leader says.

"Me and Leutnant Krueger will lead the scouting. Your squad and the 222 are to follow my lead and orders. I'm certain that you have been briefed by one of my men, so I think you understood. Right, sergeant?"

"Ja, I understand," Unteroffizier Voss complies.

"Now get in the truck. We'll start this 'short-but-somewhat-risky' job."

"Jawohl."

The squad boards the truck while Ernest and Krueger get to their car, Krueger as the driver.

---

Only a few pages are done in the storygame. I'll do the backstory, info, and armored warfare guide later. For now, I'll focus on the storyline.

7 years ago

Bad thing is, the storygame might be a bit linear since it's heavy on the story aspect and not much into the game aspect.

While it is a historical fiction, there will be infos and enclopedias regarding the real stuff that happened during WW2 (which might be a bit of breaking the fourth wall) such as about how the Waffen-SS was created, NKVD, Tiger tank history, previous German campaigns, Wehrmacht Panzerkorps Grossdeutchland, Soviet Shock Armies, Waffen-SS Leibdtandarte and Totenkopf divisions, etc.

---

The reconnaissance units headed toward the hills. Passing the road, and into the green field. Ernest and Krueger wore their standard-issue military caps and not their officer caps. They were dressed almost like the other Wehrmacht soldiers since posing as officers would make them priority targets for the Red Army soldiers.

The 222 armored car and the truck stayed behind, hiding near bushes. The 222 will provide necessary fire support if needed. The panzergrenadier squad and officers will get into the hill, albeit carefully.

Oberstleutnant Ernest Gunther spied the hill with his binoculars, not exposing himself too much since there could be Soviet infantrymen hiding behind trees and bushes. Behind the car was Leutnant Krueger and some panzergrenadiers lying on the grass.

"See anything yet?" Krueger asked, carrying a Karabiner 98k he took from the staff car.

"Nope. Still scanning for possible threat," Ernest replied.

Leutnant Krueger eventually put his rifle aside and observed with his binoculars too. Not long after, they saw a flash from one of the bushes. The glint -- they knew something bad will happen.

A shot cracked, three hundred meters away from them. The shot dented the door of the car, almost hitting Ernest.

"Scheisse!" Ernest cussed as he ducks down.

"Sniper!" Krueger shouted, alerting the others.

The panzergrenadiers aimed their guns at the incoming fire. The machine gunner spit hellfire upon the predicted location with the rapid fire rate of the MG42. Its 1200 rounds per minute made distinctive, buzzing sound.

Green-lighted tracer rounds lazed through the air, making the Red Army soldiers easier to see them -- and making the German soldiers know where they are aiming at.

Ernest saw several silhouettes moving from the tall grass.

"I see about four. They are probably relocating," Ernest informed.

A moment later, another shot was heard from the Soviets. This time the shot hits the German machine gunner in the head, killing him.

"They got Hans!" Yelled the squad leader. "Pour the lead on them! And you! Take the MG42 and set it behind the car!" The squad leader ordered.

The other panzergrenadiers carrying rifles started shooting at the Soviet soldiers. Due to the distance and grassy environment, their shots were inaccurate. But so did the Soviets.

The German sniper loaded five rounds in the chamber and steadily took aim. He listened to Ernest for the enemy locations.

"I see a glint in the bush, next to the tallest tree. Must be a sniper," said Ernest.

The German sniper aimed at the bush. He could see the head of the sniper. The German sniper escalated the sight a bit upward to compensate for the bullet drop. He took a deep breath and squeezed the trigger.

Both snipers shot at the same time. The German sniper hit the Soviet Sniper, and the Soviet Sniper hit a German panzergrenadier. One soldier lost for each side. The rifleman that replaced the machine gunner now suppresses the Soviets with the MG42.

Choices:

- Call in the 222
- Advance without armored car support

7 years ago

Ugh... sorry to disappoint, but lately I've been busy with school stuff and distracted by a few things. I have this one story (not storygame) fantasy napoleonic-like era idea that I always wanted to do and I just can't get it off my head. But at the same time, this historical fiction with some facts... I must do this first.

Progress has been slooow as hell. Only if there is no school...

---

222 Support

The radio operator signaled the 222 armored car to come. The 222 revved its engine and went full speed to the panzergrenadiers and officers. The radio operator told the 222 where to shoot, and the gunner of the 222 did so, firing the 20mm autocannon rapidly. The HE rounds cut down trees, vaporizing a few Soviet soldiers.

The radio operator told that it was enough. So the 222 stopped firing. Ernest picked up a Kar 98 from the car. Panzergrenadiers and officers advanced to the hill. There were still surviving Soviet soldiers to worry about.

They entered the small forest and close-quarter fighting ensued.

---

Without 222 support

Ernest thought that they wouldn't need the 222 for support. He was being paranoid that there might be Soviet soldiers with anti-tank rifles, and the 222 was vulnerable to them. So he continued to spot targets for the sniper.

After two more Red Army soldiers being counted toward the sniper's kills, the panzergrenadiers advanced with the MG42 laying down continuous fire. Ernest picked up a Kar 98 and the officers followed the panzergrenadiers. There were still surviving Soviet soldiers to worry about.

They entered the small forest and close-quarter fighting ensued.

Historical Fact: Waffen-SS

7 years ago

Historical Fact: Waffen-SS

An info that will be added in the storygame.

Ah, the SS -- those bastards who were the sole people that were reaponsible for the holocaust and other atrocities committed by the Nazi regime. The SS did nasty things and deemed as a criminal organization after the war. Let's dig further into this 'villain' organization, especially its armed forces.

From its birth as Hitler's personal bodyguard units to his private army.

---

Despite the fact that by the end of WW2 the SS was a truly vast organization, with branches that seemed to reach into almost every sphere of German life, and could boast an armed force of some of the most effective troops in WW2, its beginnings were less than impressive.

Initially starting as Hitler's personal bodyguard units fully devoted to protecting his life, it steadily grew to a bigger organization as Hitler strived to power. And eventually, it fielded quite impressive army (and did horrible things).

Between 1933 and 1939, the power of the SS grew considerably. The armed SS was expanded, and the Gestapo and other SS police units began to round up the enemiea of the Reich. For Heinrich Himmler, his SS empire was expanding rapidly.

Were the SS soldiers just like any others? No simple answer. To attempt to be as objective as possible, it is necessary to consider the SS not as a single entity but as four broad groupings. First, those who served on the homefront or rear of combat zones, such as the SD (SS intelligence agency) and Gestapo. Second, the Totenkopf Division, part of the Waffen-SS but inextricably linked with the concentration camp guard units. Third, foreign volunteers who served in the ranks of the SS, and fourth, the so-called 'classic' Waffen-SS divisions, most of which were Nazi Germany and Aryan in origin.

Now let's focus on the Waffen-SS.

Waffen-SS units had a 'not-so-pleasant' beginning in WW2, but they improved drastically as the war went on, and decreased dramatically as Germany was losing.

SS units began their first combat in Poland. Individual SS units did not find the Poles to be the pushover many had expected, but the losses suffered by the SS were high, largely due to aggressive and daring tactics instilled into its recruits during training, rather than to inexperience or poor leadership, as some of its Aemy detractors had suggested.

SS units were mostly trained just like their Wehrmacht counterparts, but they were much more ideology indoctrinated. They were thoroughly indoctrinated in Nazi philosophy so they would know what they were fighting for. While many believed, or came to believe in the SS creed, others were certainly more cynical and believed that they werw fighting to make Germany great again. These factors, coupled with their personal oath of allegiance to Hitler, goes a long way towards accounting for the almost suicidal determination and courage of the Waffen-SS soldiers and their disdain of death.

Initially, they failed to win the respect of most of the Heer's senior commanders, probably unfairly, and were considered by their Army counterparts to have been to brash or reckless (the reason why they suffered high casualties). The SS in turn was critical of the Heer, insisting that its units had been misused, and had been given the most difficult and dangerous tasks. The truth probably lies somewhere in between.

Overall, the SS had played only a minor role in the Polish campaign, though the Leibstandarte division in particular had demonstrated the effecriveness of fully motorized infantry units, as ir was rushed from one sector of the front to another.

(The Leibstandarte ended up as the most elite Waffen-SS unit. Michael Wittmann also served in the Leibstandarte)

The SS units were also known to be more atrocious and savage, as they were more indoctrinated in the Nazi ideology and had specifically tasked units to do the nasty stuff (such as the Einsatzgruppen).

Soon, other SS units gained their experiences as they fought on the following battles. But the best of them was the Leibstandarte.

The Army, though it was now beginning to grudgingly admit that some Waffen-SS troops fought very well, still had some considerable misgivings. SS soldiers were, after all, considered to be political soldiers, and the lack of self-control led to such atrocities. Whereas the more experienced units (such as Leibstandarte) were led by by officers who had combat experience and could temper their natural aggressiveness and reckless daring with a little caution, the less experienced units lacked experience and suffered high casualties as a result.

Prior to Germany invasion of Soviet Union (thus breaking the treatt between Hitler and Stalin), they started to fill up the Waffen-SS with more volunteers. They started to replace casualties and imroved the quality and quantity of the Waffen-SS units.

The Leibstandarte and SS-Verfuegungsdivision were well equipped. Totenkopf Division was also equipped to a reasonable standard while Polizei Division remained as a second rate unit.

Now that Hitler had been satisfied that his Waffen-SS could perform well, he demanded that the SS would receive stuff as good as, or sometimes better than the Wehrmacht. Hitler's campaigns in the East would eventually see the formation of 38 Waffen-SS divisions, still small in relation to the Heer, but whose influence in the war cannot be overestimated.

They also recruited personnel from Nordic countries such as Denmark, Netherlands, and Finland. Though the Waffen-SS tries to recruit west Europeans in their crusade against Bolshevism with posters and propagandas, research had shown that those were not the main reason the non-German volunteers donned SS uniform. Rather, they were motivated by such factors as boredom, better food, avoid dreaded compulsory labor service, lust for adventure, and the glamour of wearing an SS uniform.

Waffen-SS losses were extremely high. By mid-November 1942, for example, it had lost over 8400 men KIA and in excess of 27.115 WIA and 935 MIA. However, its combat achievements silenced many of its detractors once and for all. Though there were still many in the Heer who found the SS and its methods distasteful, few now questioned its military prowess and gallantry in action. Some Wehrmacht commanders were now glad to have troops of such a high caliber operating alongside them.

And as usual, the Leibstandarte was at the top. The most elite SS unit of all time.

But there were also other SS units whose records were less than impressive, or whose actions were more sinister. Hell, even some of those bad quality units were poorly motivated and easy to be beaten and flee in panic. Some were only good for committing atrocities and anti-partisam duties. Otherwise, meh.

So quality of Waffen-SS troops depend on what units they are in, with the Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler being the best.

Among the Waffen-SS are the Einsatzgruppen -- murder units devoted to committing atrocities, killing Jews, carrying out the bad shits. And the SS-TV handled the concentration camps.

---

In the storygame, men of the Leibstandarte will be your allies when playing as the Wehrmacht in some scenes. You might find it unpleasant, but they are very capable soldiers.

Meanwhile, the other Waffen-SS groups will act as antagonists while playing the Red Army parts.

The Einsatzgruppen will be the antagonist for both, good Wehrmacht guys and the Soviets. Because as a good Wehrmacht protagonist, you don't want these guys to suddenly do evil shits and "HURR DURR LETS BE NAZIS" and make all the friendly communist-hating Soviet citizens into hostiles, thus increasing the risk of partisan activites.