Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Writing Speed

6 years ago

How fast do most writers here write when they work on a story?  Like, how many words a day? I've been working on my story vehemently for two days, and have close to a total of 9000 words. Is that fast? Slow? How fast do you work? Just a thought.

Writing Speed

6 years ago
From conversations with people who do the daily word count thing, a good but not insane pace is supposed to something like 1000 words an hour. I usually average closer to 500 unless I just say screw it and start vomiting words with my fingers.

A lot also depends on how much of my writing time is uninterrupted. A single four hour chunk of time in which I can just focus on writing is going to see a hell of a lot more progress than a day where I technically get the same amount, but broken up. So obviously the former is the kind of thing I constantly crave and as much as practical attempt to arrange my life around trying to set up.

9000 words in a couple of days is pretty good. Even if it's all pretty rough, just so long as the plot doesn't wind up needing major reworking, editing is almost always faster than writing from scratch.

Writing Speed

6 years ago

Thank you for your thoughts!