Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Question(s)

6 years ago

When I use units as a statistic, I put it like this, for example:

Hit Point(s)

Head(s)

Handful(s)

However, when you deal with something like "leaf", how do you deal with it? I have:

Leaf(ves)

Is there an official way to do it? Or is the way I did it wrong?

Question(s)

6 years ago
I don't know, the parenthesis looks pretty weird there. Have you considered just swapping in separate text entirely when the value is at 1?

Question(s)

6 years ago

I haven't, actually. That sounds like a much better idea! :D Thank you~

Question(s)

6 years ago

Oh, in that case, if you had a long list of statistics with units, would it be a bit bothersome if part of the stats have the parenthesis and a part doesn't (instead, it'd have those on-page variables to make it more precise)?

Question(s)

6 years ago

Personally, I would have the labels separate from the numbers (if possible depending on how you're scripting I believe). 

For example, this is what I'd put for Hit Points (assuming the variable is called HITPOINTS)

%%HITPOINTS%>=%1%Hit Points%%%%HITPOINTS%=%0%Hit Point%%: %%HITPOINTS%%

When, HITPOINTS = 2, for example, it'd read:
Hit Points: 2

Question(s)

6 years ago
Or you could just make it read:

Leaf Count:

And then you can not worry about the number at all.

Question(s)

6 years ago
That's a better idea, yes.

Though I'm curious what these leaves are even for. We're apparently going to have a lot of severed heads in our possession, so who needs a salad?

Question(s)

6 years ago
Everything looks better with garnish.

Question(s)

6 years ago

Heads as in heads of wild cabbage. Pretty sure that's the measure word for cabbage. I don't know what I was doing with that, but it still seems like a good idea. I'm not making a farming game or anything. Just fantasy with an aspect of survival.