Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Science Fiction Genre Stories

5 years ago

In a story based in the science fiction genre what interests you or holds you to keep reading? Which aspect of watching a science fiction movie or playing a science fiction video game makes you enjoy it? Although each of these three experiences differ greatly I want to have a little advice for capturing readers in a drama based dark science fiction.

5 years ago
I'm not sure if the experience of watching a movie or playing a game is really comparable to a story (or storygame) since so much of the attraction of those would be visual.

Characters come first in any story, in any genre, but I suppose with sci-fi a lot of what you'd be looking at is what kind of society would grow from the setting, and what kind of people that society would turn out as well as what might drive some of them to oppose it.

It's hard to get more specific than that without a more specific question.

5 years ago

Sorry for being vague; I meant to convey the similarities of plot and feeling emotionally given to viewers/players/readers. Ideas of a plot I am currently working on surrounds an individual with a lot of power they don’t know how to use, how centuries of war and neglect has turned out solar system into a hellscape, and how the hero deals with moral choices while searching for answers. I would like to know what I can do to stimulate readers to be enticed.

5 years ago
The appeal for me is technology that seems realistic and less magic. Like stuff that could actually be feasable in a half century or so and not like it'll never be possible because it breaks the laws of physics or something. I often think about how the technology would work and it's usually glaringly obvious if it breaks some universal law(s); such things tend to break the flow for me. However I'm probably in the minority in this case (though, I'm probably the right audience).

5 years ago
Really depends on the story. Sometimes (a lot of the time) the point isn't 'but HOW does technology work?? My immersion, nooooo!', so getting hung up on realism would be dumb. What matters would be what it makes possible and the effects that would have on a society.

5 years ago
I agree. I had a certain few cyber-punk videogames/movies in my mind when I posted. I think you're right for the most part - except when that "how" breaks the laws of physics :P like a crystal ore with essentially infinite energy being used for weapons or money */cough/ blue avatar*