Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Story in need of testing!

10 years ago

http://chooseyourstory.com/story/zombie-survival-in-need-of-a-name~21

Its just a small (28 page) intro to a story I'm working on.  Looking for a few testers and opinions!

10 years ago

Heyo.

I certainly wanted to keep reading. The story moves at a good pace. I like that includes the use of maps and attributes which aren't of much use yet though they look like they will be. All in all I like the story so far, even without the inclusion of zombies haha! I would like to see more for sure.

10 years ago

So far the attributes are used subtly in the background.  There are a few pages with links that only work if you've chosen a particular job.

Thanks for the feedback. Ill be un-publishing the game tomorrow and continuing the story, including ZOMBIES! :)

Story which will no longer be in need of testing!

10 years ago

I quite liked the storygame, and although the description was a bit on the heavy side, it certainly looks to be a potentially excellent storygame.

I could certainly offer to do some more testing as the game creation progresses on.

If you ever need close quarters combat advice and suggestion, my background in Historical European Martial Arts will allow me to give realistic and handy details, simply pop me a message describing the situation and I will respond with the details needed on techniques.

More testing than ebola-ridden monkeys!

10 years ago

A side-note of curiosity I got from your other posts :

What do you mean by a "blood-groove" of a sword?  O.o

10 years ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuller_(weapon)

I think thats a blood groove.

10 years ago

I don't see anything wrong, really, with fullers, if that's what you're talking about.  I don't really see where this complaint of how fullers are over-praised...mainly because I don't think any writer here ever went into that much detail with a weapon.

10 years ago

The crux of the matter is that the "blood groove" is a myth involving an alleged vacuum in a wound released by the groove, and other childish nonsense.

Fullering on the other hand is actually the same thing, but describes the REAL purpose, as it lightens and stiffens a blade, like I-beams in construction.

10 years ago

A vacuum made by the gro-

Who the hell made up that stuff?  -.-

More testing than ebola-ridden monkeys w/swords!

10 years ago

Some claim the myth was started in World War one, by those generals instilling a taste/acceptance of gore for those doing trench raids, but the real origin is uncertain. However, the problem is that those kinds of falsehoods have stayed in people's minds even until today, and they are taken as absolute fact.

It's the same kind of media implanting that causes people to think that a Japanese Katana is simply superior to a European Longsword. The truth is a difference in styles, like comparing a sniper rifle to a light machine gun, and neither style is superior, just suitable for different situations.

More testing than ebola-ridden monkeys w/powder!

10 years ago

I'm giving the trophy to the guy with the hand-cannon on a summer's day.

10 years ago

I've tried keeping the description a little on the light side.  I prefer games that move at a decent pace.  A long, overly descriptive story doesn't leave much to the imagination.  I believe that "choose your own adventure" stories should leave a good air for a creative imagination.

As far as your "Historically accurate knowledge of European Martial Arts" goes, as you may have noticed the TV station in the coffee shop was covering the 2014 Sochi Olympics. 

And seeing as Europe has much stricter gun laws, it's safe to assume that having a firearms license, and being able to carry a .44 caliber revolver around with you on the streets, puts the story somewhere in North America. 

I highly doubt that in any combat situation, any characters in the story will be using "Historically accurate European Martial Arts".

However, if I find a use for a time machine, I will let you know.

10 years ago

The point and application of my background is to look into real life combat arts, as a huge amount of today's close combat techniques come from Western and Eastern arts from a long time ago with little change.

The only two differences in Close Quarters Combat between then and today are the mixtures of the culturally influenced styles and the addition of techniques to deal with guns.

10 years ago

Sorry if this sounds a little frank, but people usually use guns or Oriental martial arts much more often in today's society.

10 years ago

Then that is disadvantageous, both Western and Eastern styles should be combined as needed.

As for guns, they are extremely effective, yes, but they aren't as effective with ammo in limited supply, or in close spaces, or in close up ambushes.

10 years ago

I just find it improbable that a person proficient in European CQC would be present in a zombie apocalypse, since most movies just say "bop 'em in the head hard".

Story which will perhaps be in need of testing!

10 years ago

Aye, but nobody lets you "Bop 'em in the head hard", they will run at you, grab you, bite you (especially in the case on zombies), hit you, and do everything they can to avoid getting "bopped" in the head, or anywhere else for that matter!

Arms and hand hits are very common, then you get leg hits, then head or torso hits in order of commonality, with either head or torso receiving the hits depending on stance and guard/equivalent used.

Even in cases of criminal violent attacks, nearly always you hear about the victim using their hands to directly cover areas such as their face from attack, and fairly successfully.

Story which will perhaps be in need of testing!

10 years ago

That depends sheerly on how zombies work in your universe, see, for one thing, you could be a Vampire (See Deadliest Warrior...) but the zombie's motor skills could've degraded to the point where they blindly charge and grab rather pathetically.

10 years ago

Don't be too hasty in rejecting Close Quarters Combat skills in a storygame or in real life, they are very useful for certain kinds of situations.

I would eagerly embrace firearms training if offered, rather than decide I have watched enough action movies to merit me being as skilled as professional gunners, or decide I can effortlessly shoot things in the head as if a diseased human is automatically guaranteed to be a dummy target.

10 years ago

Thanks all for the comments!  I will be un-publishing the story and continuing the adventure (as well as fixing some of my foolish grammatical errors!)

If there is anyone interested in receiving an update when the game published, send me a PM.  I'll be sure to write back when the game is up and running!

10 years ago
On a bit of a side note, I am currently looking for a name for this Zombie Survival story.  If you've got an idea, be sure to share it :)

10 years ago

How about 'New Mutiny'?...

Sorry, I've been reading a lot of Shakespeare for school lately.

10 years ago

Plan on implementing a club scene?

10 years ago

I may, eventually. Depending on the direction I decide to take the story.  Maybe even to just take refuge :)