Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Ok, so recently I got into a debate with some friends about which hero is better. Captain America vs Batman.

I think the Captain will take this due to his enhanced speed and strength. Also, he is one of the few people that can say he went toe-to-toe with the Hulk and walked away. His shield has been shown to be able to withstand not only strikes from the Hulk but Thor's hammer as well.

What are your thoughts?

Versus Debate

9 years ago

But Batman knows everything. And despite having his back broken by Superman, he's still alive. At the same time that happened, he had foiled Superman's idiotic plan to give normal people superpowers. 

Batman rules. 

Versus Debate

9 years ago

If Superman really wanted to kill Batman, there isn't much that can be done to stop him. Batman knows all martial art forms but it won't help him when he's dealing with someone like the Captain. Also there is the issue about the shield. Batman has nothing that could penetrate or even take the shield.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Aha! What I was getting at is that Batman always has a plan, uses his resources and information to the most of his abilities. 

He knew Superman could kill him but he needed to buy time. He hid from Superman as long as he could to get that time and when he couldn't hide any longer he bided time by talking. He did what he could to help everyone else even if meant sacrificing himself which is what a true hero would do. If he can survive Superman even barely and his plan/mission still follow through I think he could easily handle Captain America. 

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Captain America can survive a fight with the Hulk and Thor. If Batman took a single punch from the Hulk he'd die. What can Batman do to plan against the Captain? Unlike Superman, Captain America is much more tactful and careful.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Probably but I'm sure Batman could make a trap. He doesn't have the same powers as superman either so he can't cut through walls of solid titanium, could he? Huh, huh?

Versus Debate

9 years ago

The Captain's shield is stronger than any metal found on Earth. If the Captain were stupid enough to throw the shield at Batman (which he wouldn't), Batman would risk breaking a limb by catching it. The Captain has faced much more deceitful enemies than Batman and still has the best battle record of any other hero.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

You underestimate Batman. The time it takes for the shield to fly towards someone would be enough to spring a trap. If CA threw his shield at Batman, Batman could dodge it and spring a trap just like that. Then he wouldn't have his shield. 

Versus Debate

9 years ago

'Spring a trap'

How specific.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

My thought was trapdoor but Batman would probably do something way less cliche. 

Versus Debate

9 years ago

...How would he make a trap door? Haha.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

I see. I was imagining it happening in the Batcave like with Superman. Well I just failed. 

He could drug CA. 

Versus Debate

9 years ago

I did say if the Captain was stupid enough to do that, which he isn't. He's never thrown his shield if he knows he won't get it back. Also, you're not considering the Captain's sidearm which would undoubtebly be of high caliber since he can withstand any recoil with his enhanced strength. If Batman gets shot, it's game over. He could barley fight CA without a gunshot wound.

You don't seem to be considering what happens when CA gets close, because it will happen. CA as far as I know has only lost to the Hulk in a straight up brawl.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Batman has extremely durable armor though, and has the amazing superpower of bullet-evasion. He also has a gun of his own.

Rule in [almost all] superhero comics: Guns don't do shit.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

If that's true then the Joker has master aim, because the Joker has shot Batman several times.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Has anyone else? 

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Not that I can think of. CA can block bullets, so they are useless against him.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Nope. I don't believe I've seen anyone else. 

So maybe. The Joker knows all the weak points though. He's been fighting Batman for years. 

Versus Debate

9 years ago

If Joker fought CA it would be over fast. Something Batman could never do for some odd reason.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

I'm not sure about that. The Joker is seriously unpredictable. Anything can happen. 

He did plan for Superman to kill him. 

Versus Debate

9 years ago

And that's why I hate Joker. He has the mind of a genius yet spends his time trolling people.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

And that's what I love about him. Hehehehe...

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Batman would likely just arrange for Captain America to be poisoned by something his Enhanced body couldn't handle.

And *boom* dead Captain America. But it's unlikely they would fight seeing as how they have similar idea's on how the world is.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Has CA ever been poisoned before? I've never seen it happen.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

That doesn't mean it can't. We ARE talking about a fight that has never happened. 

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Pretty sure CA has more durability than Batman seeing as to how he survived an explosion and crashing into the Earth like a meteor.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Wasn't he in a high tech space craft when that happened?

Versus Debate

9 years ago

I don't remember. I thought it was a rocket but he may have "survived" that one and "died" in a later explosion.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

I was pretty sure it was the high tech space craft that he crashed into the sea with and froze going missing for several years. No wait. That was the movie. 

In the Avengers cartoon though, he did jump from a rocket. But it hadn't gone nearly into space yet so idk. 

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Batman carries a piece of kryptonite just incase superman turned evil. You know that right?

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Yes, but if you played Injustice, you'd see how well that works out for him.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

I tend to avoid Superhero games, they are usually boring fighting games that screw with canon.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

But Injustice is AMAZING. It really tells a good story, and it's stated to happen in an alternate universe so it doesn't mess with canon. It even makes Aquaman look like a badass.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

But why would all the hero's fight each other? It's more likely they would form an Injustice League. :P

Versus Debate

9 years ago

They sorta did. lol

But Superman kills a few of them in a fit of rage.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Like Green Arrow. 

Gosh dammit Superman!!! Why him?!

Versus Debate

9 years ago

For a moment there, I thought the title states:

Venus Debate

and was wondering what was there to talk about Venus. Then I saw batman and captain america. :P

Versus Debate

9 years ago
Who would last longer on Venus - Batman or Captain America? I'd say Batman, he could have a fire extinguisher in his belt. But captain could stand on his shield... not that it would help.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Knowing Batman he'd probably have super air conditioning within his cape.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Wouldn't his shield just cook him?

Versus Debate

9 years ago
Yea but he wouldn't touch the surface - but I forgot the poison gasses in the air. Would batman have more resistance through training? It's sulfuric acid heat... I doubt either of them would last long.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Idk. Is Batmans suit heat resistant and does he carry a gas mask that is also? Maybe if he knew he were going to Venus yes. 

Versus Debate

9 years ago

It's heat resistant. I remember reading a comic where he gets hit with a flamethrower. How heat resistant is the question.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Well I'm sure even some would be enough to outlast CA.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

He does have a gasmask.

I remember seeing that shit somewhere.

Heat resistance, no clue, but I would assume so. If he carries fucking shark repellant he can have heat ressistance. 

Versus Debate

9 years ago

It's dependable on the people who writes or play out their fight.

If they want Batman to win, they'll find a way but if they want captain America to win, then they'll do that too.

I mean, Batman with preparation is a threat but captain America as a standalone is threat enough due to his enhanced strength.  Then again, upon looking at the wiki:

His strength may be roughly around the same level as Batman - being the peak of the human's strength. Which would give Batman the advantage with his skills. Then again, I could be wrong.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

When comparing characters like this people usually assume it's being written by someone as unbiased as possible.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Only way I could see Batman winning would be if he either

A) Throws a lot of poison-bomb things.

Or

B) Wears the exo-skeleton suit he beat the crap out of superman with.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Who would win in a fight:

Batman's the clear winner, and here's why

Batman could roughly match Cap's speed, if not his strength. However he also has a shitload of gadgets including smoke bombs, batarangs, and that rope-thingy. What does that mean? It means he can distract Cap enough with his gadgets and sheer cunning (arguably Batman's greatest asset) to get his shield away from him, and because Batman is an excellent strategist he'll see this as the obvious first action to make. Take the shield away it'll be a fight between the two WITHOUT Cap's shield, which will put him at a huge handicap since he's used to a fighting technique based around it, and Batman knows so many different martial arts it's insane AAAAAAAAAAAAND he still has a shitload of gadgets, can't forget those.

Now, let's look at how the two will fare in a fight without Cap's shield. I don't have any statistics or anything, but the super soldier serum boosted Cap's speed and strength, leaving him a formidable opponent even without a shield. Batman doesn't have the SSS, but was trained extremely well, and also possesses great strength and speed. I would say that it can't rival Cap's, but according to Winter Soldier Cap almost got his ass whooped by some two-bit boat hijacker. Replace that hijacker with a man who's been extensively trained AND has protective armor and several gadgets at his disposal as well as the ability to actively go in and out of the cover of darkness during a fight.

Now, until Batman and Cap actually fight we won't know for sure, but my money's on Batman, for obvious reasons.

Which one do I consider better:

That one's much tougher for me to decide. I know Batsy would win in a fight, but if that was the only qualifier then Superman would be my favorite every time with no contest. In the end, I like Cap's backstory and natural abilities a lot more than Batman's. Don't get me wrong, I love Batman, but Captain America just holds a slightly higher place in my favoirtes.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Does Captain america know any martial arts or does he just america the fuck out of people?

Versus Debate

9 years ago

The latter I think. Though it's possible he was given special training in the past before he got stuck in the ice.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Captain's main martial art is just Boxing, I think. There was some obscure shit about hi using other stuff, but even still, Batman would dominate him hand to hand.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

I think I remember reading Captain America knew a whole bunch of martial arts, including Krav Maga. I dunno.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

I know he would be trained in basic hand to hand at least, since he went through military training but I don't remember any specifics

Versus Debate

9 years ago

And then later he had SHIELD training.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Lol. Funny, I'd say the exact opposite to Bo. I'd say Batman was the "better" superhero, but the one more likely to win in a fight would be Captain America. Then again, it would depend on a lot of things, such as, how much time do they have to prepare for the fight? (If they just randomly bump into each other and start fighting, then Captain America has it in the bag, but the more time they have to prepare, the more likely Batman is to win.) Do they know where and when the fight will be before it takes place? (Again, the more information Batman has, the more likely he is to win.) And the obvious, which writer is writing the character at the time? (As far as I know, Captain America's powers and abilities are always more or less the same, whereas Batman's gadgets and fighting skills seem to improve a lot more in more recent comics, particularly those involving other DC superheroes, probably to compensate for the fact that he doesn't have any real super-powers.) cheeky

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Captain America's perception is high enough to be aware of Batman's traps and tricks. Taking his shield isn't as easy as you make it sound because he's so damn attached to the thing; name the people who actually managed to TAKE the Captain's shield when he didn't throw it at them.

Now, when it comes to hand to hand combat, I'd say it would come pretty close, but the Captain may still take it. His fighting style is primarily based around getting close to his opponent and beating their heads in. As I stated earlier, Batman has nothing that will be able to penetrate the shield, and trying to grab it whilst fighting Cap would be suicide. I don't think Batman's physical attributes exceed that of Captain America's except for agility. The Captain is far beyond the physical build set for human standards, and he has shown this countless times. As to Captain America's fighting ability, I already know that boxing is one of them, but it's highly likely that he furthered his training since his time with the Avengers.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

If Batman is more agile, couldn't he just make it around the shield? It's not like a full body shield. He could still take out a knee or something with one of his bat things. 

Versus Debate

9 years ago

If it was a full body shield I think it would work against the Captain's way of fighting so no. The shield isn't so bulky that he couldn't make a quick adjustment to defend while attacking.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

But to cover his knees, ankles, and Achilles' tendon he would be dropping the shield too low putting him in a crouch which is much harder to defend in. 

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Which is nothing a good jump couldn't fix. I'm guessing you think the Captain would just stand there and let Batman blow out his ankles.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

At this point I'm picturing Captain America crouched over with his shield over his ankles and frog-hopping all over the place XD. It's a freaking hilarious thought.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

People didn't TAKE the shield, but it's constantly taken away from him in the comics and movies. It's basically the way they keep him from going god-mode the whole time. Hell, he lost his shield in the depths of the Atlantic Ocean one time, and that's one hell of a fuck up. And you forget how naturally smart Batman actually is, he's able to think up strategies on the fly so I doubt his master plan is "maybe if I grab the shield it'll come off". Plus remember the smoke bombs? How is he gonna stop Batman from grabbing the shield when he can't see the man. He'd have a split second to act once he feels force on the shield, and even then we know that Batman is more agile than him. He also has that rope-shooter thing, could be easier to hook it and pull it off at a distance.

As I said before, Cap probably is stronger than Batman. But that's not what matters, Throughout the comics and movies (The shows tend to over-badass him) Batman wins by not being hit rather than hitting the hardest. Cap gets distracted, Batman dissolves in to the darkness. That's why setting is also important to this. And let's not forget that while Batman is renowned for his cunning Cap is known for being kinda naive and gullible. It's part of his charm. NOT a good combination when up against Batsy.

Plus, I'll reiterate. A HIJACKER almost beat Captain America in a straight fight after Cap abandoned his shield in the name of a fair fight. And that's something to think about too, where Batsy would never use a gun or other lethal weapon Captain also has an unrealistic attachment to oldschool American ideals like Truth, Justice, and the American way (etc. etc.), meaning that he may just give up the freaking shield if Batman agrees to give up the gadgets making it (once again) a fair fight. And in that, Batsy wins.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

That was an awesome scene in the movie.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

I know. I LOVE the Winter Soldier, it was such an amazing movie.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

As far as them fighting without their gear I can't see how Batman could win. Batman is at pique physical condition for a human. Captain America is beyond what is considered humanly possible. I stated that Batman is more agile only because I've never seen Captain America dodge (he rarely does). If you're referring to the hijacker that held him at gunpoint while he was trying to save his friend then I wouldn't count that since there wasn't much he could do. Batman has been in similar situations.

I doubt Batman would use the rope on Captain America since the Captain could just give it a good pull. Batman has been hit multiple times, and when he is hit you'll notice how human he is. Batman is in fact known for his cunning, but Captain America isn't as naive as you think. He operates on instinct, which is the antithesis to Batman's way of dealing with situations.

And I probably should have given a setting to this. Let's just say a city since they both have tactics that can apply here.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Time of day is also important, as Batman takes advantage of the night. I suppose we can assume it's high-noon though, since it's a typical badass fight-scene time.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

I was talking about the hijacker who challenged him to hand-to-hand combat and said something along the lines of "let's see how you fight without your shield". Of course Cap won in the end, but he had a run for his money in doing so. 

You... you think Batman doesn't have instinct? HE WAS LITERALLY TRAINED TO BE A FREAKING NINJA XD. He just doesn't wear the robes, but if you notice those from his former organization do. His main threat factor is being able to think on his feet in order to keep his opponents guessing then picking them off as he does so.

And yeah, they're both used to it. But Batman would likely wait until night and even if he didn't you've seen the scenes of him fighting in buildings. He goes floor to floor, zips from here to there, just continuously keeping his opponents off guard.

ADDENDUM:

Found a clip for you. This was the hijacker vs. Cap while Cap still had his shield. It seems I underestimated the hijacker's martial training, he still does a good job while Cap has his shield. Doesn't exactly whoop his ass, but just look what he does, and Batman is undoubtably more trained than he is. After all, as stated above, he's a muthafuckin ninja

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHh0XaW0UyQ

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Wasn't Batroc the Leaper a ninja too? That's who the hijacker is, it's an actual comic book villain.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Ninjas < Batman.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Really? I wasn't aware that he was from the comic books. In that case I withdraw the hijacker argument

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Captain America has strength and skill levels similar to Bane, only he is more acrobatic and has an unbreakable shield, and no cord Batman can just strike to make him lose his powers. Captain America wins.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Bullshit. Bane is a helluva lot stronger than Captain America, and Bane, I daresay, is a helluva lot smarter. He broke the bat because he had an actual plan, when's the last time Cap ever planned something that didn't involve

A. Using other strategies

B. Throwing some redshirts or his fellow avengers into a stupidly "courageous" plan that either kills all the redshirts or puts their lives at serious risk

C.  only moved civilians out of the damn way and helped the cops continue being useless?

Versus Debate

9 years ago

...Captain America is THE TACTICIAN of the Marvel Universe, like Batman is for DC (in fact, in a Marvel vs DC, Batman was squared off against Cap because of this), and his strength levels are very similar to Bane's. Bane's strength (unless he is so jacked up on Venom he can't think straight, but then he becomes dumber, doesn't he?) is usually described as "barely superhuman", as in, beyond a regular human being, but not far beyond, you know, like Captain America's.

What does "using other strategies" mean? Does it mean "doing something else than B and C"?

Versus Debate

9 years ago

It means doing something that's been done before, usually in action movies.  Strategies that wouldn't work in real life. I've found Nick Fury to be a better tactician at times, and he's stormed bases by riding motorcycles through boarded up windows.

And with a dedicated look at several wikis, Bane is usually known to (without becoming stupid) lift 2 tons. Captain America averages about half of that. Bane bench-presses cars, Captain America can just about toss a manatee one foot.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

If strategies that wouldn't work in real life are a minus then Batman is a poor tactician as well.

Also, Bane's strength is only at that level if uninterrupted, like if Batman slices the Venom injector, therefore reducing his strength. He can't do that with Captain America. Captain America's strength is permanent.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

It doesn't matter because Batman has fought bane, (and won) at an uninterrupted level before, it takes strategy, and some stealth. While Cap may have the former, he certainly doesn't have the latter, and batman has far better armor anyhow. 

Versus Debate

9 years ago

It depends if you mean comic book or movie Bane.

Movie Bane was trained by the same people as Batman, completely negating his martial arts. hear that? COMPLETELY NEGATING BATMAN'S MARTIAL ARTS. That's the biggest thing you can do to the bat.

COmic book Bane... well he was a luchador with a pump-up serum (actually kinda similar to Cap) and I don't know much about him at all.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

All I know about Bane is that he is just as smart as Batman and just as cunning as Joker. Never paid too much attention to him.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

I know next to nothing about comic book Bane, Movie Bane was awesome though.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Batman would win HANDS DOWN. He's used the powers of almost every villain he's ever faced at points. If there's a superpower he wants or needs, he BUILDS IT. He's like Iron Man, but 6 times as good. The only thing that would keep him from winning is his "No killing virtue" which has been broken over the years so many times that it's more of a pinky promise than a virtue.

Not to mention, if we're going to bring their ENTIRE arsenal into this, Cap will have to deal with Green Lantern Batman in all his glory, with an entire fleet of batmobiles and batplanes, using only a bunch of guns and some vehicles, and keep in mind that Cap is no Deadpool.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Batman was only a Green Lantern for a very short amount of time thus making it invalid. I've never seen him use the powers of any villain he faces, especially since most of the villains he fights have as much powers as he does. Ironman by the way can be trouble for anyone when he is serious enough seeing as to how he accidentally wipes out all of the Avengers (except Hulk).

Morals are a bit of a gray area. Both Captain America and Batman have shown a willingness to kill and beat the hell out of people to get information.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Are you fucking kidding me? Have you never seen the freeze Batman, the counter-scarecrow suits, and the various jetpacks he's built to fight firefly with? He uses a strong mech-suit to fight bane with, hell, in the Arkham series he's stolen a villain's electric gloves for his own use. He's used the "powers" of his enemies against them, multiple times. All the time.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Logic Error in '/' Application of Your Brain.

Argument contains no elements

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: Sequence contains no elements

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[InvalidOperationException: Sequence contains no elements]
   System.Linq.Enumerable.First(IEnumerable`1 source) +514
   ChooseYourStory.WebApplication.Pages.Forums.ReplyToPostPage.CreateChildControls() in c:\BuildMasterAgent\_AGTTMP\_A4\_S11\SRC\ChooseYourStory.WebApplication\Pages\Forums\ReplyToPostPage.cs:55
   System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +189
   System.Web.UI.Control.FindControl(String id, Int32 pathOffset) +40
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessPostData(NameValueCollection postData, Boolean fBeforeLoad) +313
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2773

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.18446

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Ah, that joke again. I'm sure it will continue to be a good point.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Yeah, put me into the CA team. Batman's good, but CA is physically superior in every aspect, and is almost equal to Batman's tactical skill (he was the Avenger Leader for a reason). 

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Wait a minute,

Batman has freeze pellets...

Fuck all of this, batman wins.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Ice had 70 years to kill Captain America and it failed. It could be a temporary victory I suppose.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Who said the ice had to kill him? You can freeze cap and then shove him off a building, and then he'd be dead, and if he survived that, he can use his remote driving capabilities to run cap's injured body over, multiple times.

Versus Debate

9 years ago

Freeze pellets don't kill from cold. They freeze your legs or even the whole body.