Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Advanced Storygame - How to Set Counters?

9 years ago

Hello everybody.  While work overseas did take me out for a while, I'm happy to say that my first storygame is drafted up and good to go. Unfortunately, it need some assistance before I send it out for your general (hopefully) enjoyment.

There are two counters that can be built up during the game, TENSION and ENEMY AWARENESS.  How high these values are and calculations made with them are important for behind-the-scenes challenges and checks.  While some choices are simple (I'll go left instead of right), others are more complex (If Challenge Score - Enemy Awareness - 1d(Tension) >= 0, succeed, otherwise go to this different section).  With that, I need help with the following:

- How to set up these two counters in an Advanced Storygame
 - How to create the calculations behind the scenes
 - How to make the game ONLY link the result of a challenge, but show both options so that player know there was a check or a chance to both succeed and fail.

I did read the guides and understand that it's not advised that your first game be an Advanced Storygame, but I feel that there's too much work required of the reader for me to simply put this as a regular storygame and reveal the mechanics for them to figure out themselves.  I also feel that since the story is completed that this is the last lynchpin before releasing the game itself.  As such, the speed at which I get answer is directly related to how soon it will come out here.

Thank you again for all your assistance and I hope you enjoy the final product!

~ ItanoCircus

9 years ago

The guides tell how to do all of what you want to do. These are pretty easy to do.

9 years ago

(There's  to do this prolly a way to do this with scripting, but I don't know it.)

Sounds like you already have the links in place?

Okay, the first thing is, on your properties page, make sure you have "Advanced Variables" not just "basic." Then, up at the top in the line with Story Properties, click "Variables."  that takes you to the page where you can create variables.  Make one for tension, one for awareness.

Now, on your pages where you have links, over to the left there's some icons.  The plus/minus icon, that's where you can set "when the player uses this link, add X amount to TENSION."  The other icon you want to click is the red stop sign, that's variable restrictions.   It'll bring up a page where you can set things like "this link only clickable if tension > 6". Also on that page, check the box that says "visible when inactive."  That will make the link appear, but not be able to be clicked on.

9 years ago

Also, shouldn't this be in the advanced editor section of the forums?

9 years ago

Thank you Sethaniel and everybody else for your assistance :) I'll throw the story up in the next couple of hours and am looking forward to your recommendations, criticism, and feedback!

9 years ago
We really need to change the guide to not make that recommendation.

Everyone should use the advanced editor. It's simply a better version of the editor imo.